The Real Church of God

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Genoteleno
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes

Re: The Real Church of God

Post by Genoteleno »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Genoteleno wrote:scripture to support you claims?
Most certainly! Start with Hebrews and tell me what you think. I don't have much time tonight, but if possible, I'll have more on this tommorrow.
BTW, welcome to the board.

thanks, it's nice finding this site! ...not to mention making new friends for civilized conversation~! :D
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

These are reference to our Christ in the old testament; Gen. 3:15 "seed of the woman" Gen. 49:10- "Shiloh" Num 24:17- "The star out of Jacob" Dt.18:15- "Prophet" Dt.32:15- "Rock of salvation" Job 9:33- "Daysman" Ps 2:2- "The Anointed" Ps. 2:12- "The Son" Isa. 8:14- "Sanctuary", "Stone of stumbling", and "Rock of offence" Isa. 9:6- "Wonderful", "Counsellor", and "The Prince of peace" Isa. 11:1- "Rod out of Jesse" and "The Branch" Isa. 11:10- "An ensign of the people" Isa. 59:20- "The Redeemer" Ez. 34:29- "Plant of renown" Dan. 9:25- "Messiah" Hag 2:7- "The desire of all nations" Mal. 3:3- "Refiner and purifier".

I can't understand how these writers would know about Christ and not be considered as part of our "Church".
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Genoteleno
Acquainted Member

Post by Genoteleno »

Cross.eyed wrote:These are reference to our Christ in the old testament; Gen. 3:15 "seed of the woman" Gen. 49:10- "Shiloh" Num 24:17- "The star out of Jacob" Dt.18:15- "Prophet" Dt.32:15- "Rock of salvation" Job 9:33- "Daysman" Ps 2:2- "The Anointed" Ps. 2:12- "The Son" Isa. 8:14- "Sanctuary", "Stone of stumbling", and "Rock of offence" Isa. 9:6- "Wonderful", "Counsellor", and "The Prince of peace" Isa. 11:1- "Rod out of Jesse" and "The Branch" Isa. 11:10- "An ensign of the people" Isa. 59:20- "The Redeemer" Ez. 34:29- "Plant of renown" Dan. 9:25- "Messiah" Hag 2:7- "The desire of all nations" Mal. 3:3- "Refiner and purifier".

I can't understand how these writers would know about Christ and not be considered as part of our "Church".
In order for me to answer your question, I'll need to ask you one first: What is your definition and understanding of "church"?
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Cross.eyed wrote:These are reference to our Christ in the old testament; Gen. 3:15 "seed of the woman" Gen. 49:10- "Shiloh" Num 24:17- "The star out of Jacob" Dt.18:15- "Prophet" Dt.32:15- "Rock of salvation" Job 9:33- "Daysman" Ps 2:2- "The Anointed" Ps. 2:12- "The Son" Isa. 8:14- "Sanctuary", "Stone of stumbling", and "Rock of offence" Isa. 9:6- "Wonderful", "Counsellor", and "The Prince of peace" Isa. 11:1- "Rod out of Jesse" and "The Branch" Isa. 11:10- "An ensign of the people" Isa. 59:20- "The Redeemer" Ez. 34:29- "Plant of renown" Dan. 9:25- "Messiah" Hag 2:7- "The desire of all nations" Mal. 3:3- "Refiner and purifier".

It depends upon your definition of Church. There is an organic quality to the church in the sense that all who have been redeemed by Christ are part of the Church Universal. That would extend beyond time and organization but would fail to recognize the differences of different stages of progression in terms of God's plan of salvation.

There's an organizational dimension as well that is defined as that time following the descending of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and God establishing residence within His people.

Covenenant theology for example, when examining the covenantal means in which God relates to His People would make a strong distinction in terms of defining the "Church" as opposed to "Israel" based upon those covenants and the times affected. You can argue that we're all the Church and perhaps in the sense of eternity and the fellowship we are looking forward to, that would be a helpful concept, but you're going to create confusion if you use the term in that way and fail to recognize the existence of the Church in terms of time and purpose.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Canuckster1127 wrote:It depends upon your definition of Church. There is an organic quality to the church in the sense that all who have been redeemed by Christ are part of the Church Universal. That would extend beyond time and organization but would fail to recognize the differences of different stages of progression in terms of God's plan of salvation.
Church Universal Progressive is the best way I know to define it. It seems to me that of the ancients who knew about the coming of Christ's life, death, and resurrection would have essentially the same faith as we do. ..."Blessed are they who have not seen but yet believe."
There's an organizational dimension as well that is defined as that time following the descending of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and God establishing residence within His people.
I see no disagreement here. Dimensional yes but still the same plan and the same faith. If you see this differently please let me know.
Covenenant theology for example, when examining the covenantal means in which God relates to His People would make a strong distinction in terms of defining the "Church" as opposed to "Israel" based upon those covenants and the times affected. You can argue that we're all the Church and perhaps in the sense of eternity and the fellowship we are looking forward to, that would be a helpful concept, but you're going to create confusion if you use the term in that way and fail to recognize the existence of the Church in terms of time and purpose.
This (to me at least) is the progression of the Church with time and purpose a part of the plan. Any other concept confuses me. Revelations teaches a time of trouble and redemption for "Israel" another progression of the same plan which will include the same faith. It was Christ all the way from Genesis to the end of Revelations.

While I'm thinking of it, perhaps I should ask how you define "Israel".

Genoteleno I hope this answers your question as well.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Genoteleno
Acquainted Member

Post by Genoteleno »

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts concerning the church (and the wellspring of subjects that came surrounding). The most accurate way of addressing the Biblical structure and purpose of God's church are always to be found within scripture. NO opinions, edicts, beliefs or personal convictions are worthy of consideration because God warns us against such! (Matthew 7:15, Matthew 24:11, 24, 2Peter 2:1, 1John 4:1) Let us, therefore, review what God has revealed concerning HIS church:

Obedience to the Gospel through faith, repentance, confession, and baptism purifies one's soul (Heb. 11:6; Lk. 13:3; Mt. 10:32; Mk. 16:16; I Pet. 1:22). Purification is equal to salvation, and all who are obedient to the truth are in a saved relationship with God. The Lord adds those whom He has saved and to others who have rendered obedience to the Gospel. Collectively, these individuals comprise the spiritual institution established by the Lord. This collectivity of saved individuals are identified by several names, all of which reveal the nature of this entity.

The basic nature of something deals with its essential character or permanent properties. The essential properties of the saved and their God-ordained characteristics are seen in the following points:

The saved are known as the church (Acts. 2:47). The Greek word for church is a compound of the preposition ek, meaning "out of" and eklesia, meaning "called." The saved are the called out of Christ. They are called "out of darkness and into His marvelous light" (I Pet. 2:9). Thus, they have a special purpose in which they show forth the praises of God and make known His manifold wisdom (I Pet. 2:9; Eph. 3:10). They are in the world but not of the world (John 15:19). Their lives reflect a peculiar purpose with a distinct mission (I Tim. 3:15).

The church is known as the body (Col. 1:18). It is so designated to represent its unity, though it has many members. Just as one's human body has many physical members, yet all of its parts work together, so does the spiritual body have many members, yet all must work together. The body is to be united upon what its one head directs. It works under the direction of the head and does not seek to divide (I Cor. 12:25). Division results in the one body when members fail to recognize the authority of its head.

The body is known as the house of God (I Tim. 3:15; Eph. 3:19). God's house is indicative of a family whose members have mutual responsibility and blessings of inheritance. An earthly family has a father who provides for his children and sons and daughters who love and care for each other. Abundant blessings and familial ties provide a haven of warmth, nurturing, and kinship. In God's family, there are brothers and sisters who must love (I John 4:7), admonish (II Thess. 3:15), and care for one another (I Cor. 12:25). Sweet fellowship and words of light bind them together. They enjoy spiritual blessings as a merit of adoption by Christ Jesus (Eph. 1:3-5). Their Heavenly Father provides good gifts for His children (Matt 7:11), along with the greatest gift of all: the gift of salvation, which is obtained by faith which produces works (Jas. 2:14-26).

Finally, the family is known as the kingdom (Col. 1:13). The church and kingdom are one and the same (Matt. 16:18-19). The kingdom designation demonstrates the rule and dominion of Christ in the hearts of the saved. It is not earthly, but spiritual. It is the rule and reign of Christ in the hearts of men (Lk. 17:20,21). Christ, its King, is to be revered, worshipped, and glorified. His complete dominion, power, and sovereign will must be recognized; His everlasting Word, obeyed.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts concerning the church (and the wellspring of subjects that came surrounding). The most accurate way of addressing the Biblical structure and purpose of God's church are always to be found within scripture. NO opinions, edicts, beliefs or personal convictions are worthy of consideration because God warns us against such! (Matthew 7:15, Matthew 24:11, 24, 2Peter 2:1, 1John 4:1) Let us, therefore, review what God has revealed concerning HIS church:
I'd be interested in knowing how you what is in the Scripture and how you separate your opinions, edicts, beliefs and personal convictions in coming to the Scripture. Are you speaking about the English Scriptures? The original languages? What have you done to understand the cultural and historical context with which the original audience understood these things? Are you looking for the word "Church" with an English concordance? Are you using the greek word "ecclesia"? Are you aware of any other Greek words that are translated Church and if so does that have any bearing on your understanding? Was the word Church or Ecclesia understood to mean anything else to the original users? Does this factor into your understanding?

The reason I'm asking it that your introductory paragraph is very forceful and seems to imply there is only one way to view the Church within the Scriptures. I happen to agree with that. The Scriptures are the primary source and the best tool we have to understand how to understand the Bible is the Bible itself. However, often the idea that we approach the Scriptures and suspend all of these background factors can be used to land on one interpretation and take any challenge as being a challenge to the Scriptures itself. If you're going to make that strong a claim I'd be interested in knowing what approach, abilities and tools you're bringing to make such strong claims.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Looks like it came from here...

http://www.angdatingdaan.org/biblicalto ... gion_3.htm

"The Members Church of God International (MCGI), is an international Christian denomination with headquarters in the Philippines. The Church of God International is primarily known through its television program, Ang Dating Daan (The Old Path). It is not related to the many Church of God groups that descended from the Barney Creek Meeting House revival of the late 1800s. While calling itself a Christian denomination, it is considered to be a cult [1] by nearly all mainstream Christian denominations due to their belief that only the leader of their church (Eliseo Soriano) can interpret and understand the Bible, that Jesus Christ, while "a" god is a lesser god than the Father, and that God is not Omniscient or Omnipresent.[2]. The group has thousands of church locales in the Philippines, and around 500 international church locales in North America, Europe, South Africa, Asia, and Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_Ch ... ernational
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Thanks Gman. It does look like that is where the original post came from.

Just a reminder to everyone, cutting and pasting is fine to an extent, but if you do it, make sure you reference where you got it and try to add your own thoughts to make it relevant to the thread.

Continued cutting and pasting without attribution will be treated as spam and removed by the moderators.
Genoteleno
Acquainted Member

Post by Genoteleno »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how you what is in the Scripture and how you separate your opinions, edicts, beliefs and personal convictions in coming to the Scripture. Are you speaking about the English Scriptures? The original languages? What have you done to understand the cultural and historical context with which the original audience understood these things? Are you looking for the word "Church" with an English concordance? Are you using the greek word "ecclesia"? Are you aware of any other Greek words that are translated Church and if so does that have any bearing on your understanding? Was the word Church or Ecclesia understood to mean anything else to the original users? Does this factor into your understanding?

The reason I'm asking it that your introductory paragraph is very forceful and seems to imply there is only one way to view the Church within the Scriptures. I happen to agree with that. The Scriptures are the primary source and the best tool we have to understand how to understand the Bible is the Bible itself. However, often the idea that we approach the Scriptures and suspend all of these background factors can be used to land on one interpretation and take any challenge as being a challenge to the Scriptures itself. If you're going to make that strong a claim I'd be interested in knowing what approach, abilities and tools you're bringing to make such strong claims.

"THE" scriptures are the written word of God. Otherwise known as "THE HOLY BIBLE". This is where all my "opinions, edicts, beliefs and personal convictions' come from. They are not MY personal writings or any personally accepted scripts that weren't God-breathed. I'm no different than any person who will honestly study the word, believe and obey what IT says without believing anything supposedly "left out "or translated "incorrectly" into it. We have far too many "scholars" who have, rather than taking the word as sufficient (1 Timothy 3:16-17) attempt to make it fit their own personal beliefs by utilizing bits and pieces of phrase and uncertain terminology. Anyone who honestly studies without interference from outside sources should strive to (2Ti 2:15) "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Who did God expect would most readily accept His teachings? (1 Corinthians 1:18-31) "18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)

Since God is all knowing it is safe to commit one's self to His scripture (His word) "as is" without worry as to the connotations of the time and/or circumstance when it was written. God is the same now as He was then, He never changes. Thus we can conclude, without reservation, that God's word is also unchangable. I know this, because His word tells me this. It's not an opinion.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:

"THE" scriptures are the written word of God. Otherwise known as "THE HOLY BIBLE". This is where all my "opinions, edicts, beliefs and personal convictions' come from. They are not MY personal writings or any personally accepted scripts that weren't God-breathed. I'm no different than any person who will honestly study the word, believe and obey what IT says without believing anything supposedly "left out "or translated "incorrectly" into it. We have far too many "scholars" who have, rather than taking the word as sufficient (1 Timothy 3:16-17) attempt to make it fit their own personal beliefs by utilizing bits and pieces of phrase and uncertain terminology. Anyone who honestly studies without interference from outside sources should strive to (2Ti 2:15) "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Who did God expect would most readily accept His teachings? (1 Corinthians 1:18-31) "18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

That's amazing. So you approach the Word of God and you have nothing in your mind, your experience, your thinking, your culture and your education that has any impact on how you read those Scriptures? Or you're able to set all of them apart without identifying them?

That must be very convenient. You can simply assert that your interpretation of Scripture is what the Scriptures say and if anyone, even a sincere believer with a different understanding a passage can be said to be disagreeing with the Scriptures instead of you.

Sounds to me like you may be establishing a Theocracy and changing your name to "Theo".
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1)

Since God is all knowing it is safe to commit one's self to His scripture (His word) "as is" without worry as to the connotations of the time and/or circumstance when it was written. God is the same now as He was then, He never changes. Thus we can conclude, without reservation, that God's word is also unchangable. I know this, because His word tells me this. It's not an opinion.
I certainly agree that the Bible is the foundation and not our study, however, I don't believe those passages indicate that study is unneccessary in proper perspective and subordinate to the Word of God itself.

My original questions stand by the way. You have yet to address how you determine the definition of the Church within the Bible.

Do you truly believe that the English Bible is to be read as it appears to us in our Culture and language without seeking to understand the original languages? Which English Bible? Do you have a translation that you accept as inspired above and beyong any other Bible? On what Basis? Is this something you find within the Bible itself or are you bringing something to it from the outside, namely your own decision as to which English Bible to accept?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zeppmeister wrote:...Its rebuilding was accompanied with a promise. Because the first church was destroyed by abusive pastors, this time, when Christ rebuilds it, He gave an assurance that “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” What does that mean? Was He able to rebuild the church? Jesus said,“I will rebuild my church.” Was He able to do it? If He did, where was it built? Is it in the Philippines? in the far east? in Rome? in the US? If it had been rebuilt, how is it called? What is its name?
Hi zeppmeister,

What is the Churches name you are referring too if any? Are you alluding to a certain assembly? Are you still around? You opened the thread...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Genoteleno
Acquainted Member

Post by Genoteleno »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
That's amazing. So you approach the Word of God and you have nothing in your mind, your experience, your thinking, your culture and your education that has any impact on how you read those Scriptures? Or you're able to set all of them apart without identifying them?

That must be very convenient. You can simply assert that your interpretation of Scripture is what the Scriptures say and if anyone, even a sincere believer with a different understanding a passage can be said to be disagreeing with the Scriptures instead of you.

Sounds to me like you may be establishing a Theocracy and changing your name to "Theo".

I certainly agree that the Bible is the foundation and not our study, however, I don't believe those passages indicate that study is unneccessary in proper perspective and subordinate to the Word of God itself.

My original questions stand by the way. You have yet to address how you determine the definition of the Church within the Bible.

Do you truly believe that the English Bible is to be read as it appears to us in our Culture and language without seeking to understand the original languages? Which English Bible? Do you have a translation that you accept as inspired above and beyong any other Bible? On what Basis? Is this something you find within the Bible itself or are you bringing something to it from the outside, namely your own decision as to which English Bible to accept?
Sorry, but you've asked question after question within your replies and it's tough getting all the answers back in one reply... OK, FIRST... I DID go into 4 points, previously, which defined what the church is and its function..you might want to look back at that! Secondly, I said nothing in reference to study being unnecessary... it IS, indeed, a God-given instruction (2 Tim 2:15). My point was that God's word is "unchangeable". My question for you (if I'm understanding what you're saying) is: why do you feel that our current English translations aren't to be trusted? Comparative translations have been around for a long while. Surely you don't think that something as throughly scrutinized and examined (as the holy scriptures have been throughout the years) would suddenly become unreliable. This just doesn't make good sense. Knowing Greek and/or Hebrew is wonderful and if that's what you feel the need to do..then more power to you! However, I am not convinced that this is an absolute necessity due to any minimal inaccuracy's within our current English translations. You also asked "which" do I think is the inspired translation? If a translation is true to its mission, then they all are inspired simply by being a duplication of the oldest manuscripts that were/are available. Number three: No I'm not naive enough to think myself above and beyond error, however, YES, you did get the point that whenever we represent scripture exactly as it's written and then "someone" disagrees.. then YES that person is ultimately disagreeing with God's instruction. This is why I don't rely on my own understanding, but on Gods instruction. It's NOT MY interpretation as long as I am (or anyone) is "rightly dividing the word of truth"(2 Tim 2:15).
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Genoteleno wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:

Sorry, but you've asked question after question within your replies and it's tough getting all the answers back in one reply... OK, FIRST... I DID go into 4 points, previously, which defined what the church is and its function..you might want to look back at that! Secondly, I said nothing in reference to study being unnecessary... it IS, indeed, a God-given instruction (2 Tim 2:15). My point was that God's word is "unchangeable". My question for you (if I'm understanding what you're saying) is: why do you feel that our current English translations aren't to be trusted? Comparative translations have been around for a long while. Surely you don't think that something as throughly scrutinized and examined (as the holy scriptures have been throughout the years) would suddenly become unreliable. This just doesn't make good sense. Knowing Greek and/or Hebrew is wonderful and if that's what you feel the need to do..then more power to you! However, I am not convinced that this is an absolute necessity due to any minimal inaccuracy's within our current English translations. You also asked "which" do I think is the inspired translation? If a translation is true to its mission, then they all are inspired simply by being a duplication of the oldest manuscripts that were/are available. Number three: No I'm not naive enough to think myself above and beyond error, however, YES, you did get the point that whenever we represent scripture exactly as it's written and then "someone" disagrees.. then YES that person is ultimately disagreeing with God's instruction. This is why I don't rely on my own understanding, but on Gods instruction. It's NOT MY interpretation as long as I am (or anyone) is "rightly dividing the word of truth"(2 Tim 2:15).
Fair enough. I'm trying to challenge you here, not necessarily completely disagree with you. I believe the Scriptures are reliable as well and I believe the translations are very reliable, particularly the more recent ones such as the NIV and NASB.

The issue of knowing the greek and hebrew is not for the sake of translation. It's been translated. The value to knowing the original languages is that it assists greatly in understanding the subtle nuances in verb tenses, colloquialisms, grammatical order etc that contributes greatly to the meaning of the text which often can't be completely captured in translation. It's usually not an issue in understanding the basic meaning of a text but if you're going to take the responsibility of teaching others and represent things as truth to others who are relying upon you it's a beneficial tool to have and use. I've studied Greek, Coptic and a little Aramaic. I haven't studied Hebrew but I have learned to use many of the tools available to assist in that area, although I have to confess that it's been many years and I'm rusty.

You're right too that rightly dividing the word of truth puts us in a position in which we rely upon that truth and it has its own authority that we are subject to, not the other way around.

The practical problem however, is that many different positions can be taken from passages and have been taken by sincere believers who believe they are rightly understanding that word. I also disagree with your idea that God's providence allows for us to take the English in its plainest meaning and treat that as what the word of God intends. The Bible has been translated into many, many different languages at many different times. I have several former classmates who went on to work with Wycliff Bible Translators and who have helped translate the Bible into many different languages and cultures. It is not easy. Concepts in one language and culture don't always translate easily and there's a real challenge to stay true to the intent of the original and convey it accurately into another language and culture. If it weren't so important and serious, there's actually some pretty comical misunderstandings that can occur. That's true coming into the English as well although the work there is much more plentiful and most of these issues have been addressed.

Coming back to the initial subject here, namely the Church, there are several different views of the Church that can be taken from the Scriptures. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive of each other, but they can't all be right, or at least not right at the same time. Usually people reconcile them by emphasizing certain passages and minimizing others or by explaining away some others. A classic example would be the Church as an organism and organization. A pretty significant part of the Church for about 3/4 of the time since the ascension of Christ saw a Pope in Rome as the successor of Peter and the titular head of the Church. Granted it wasn't the only view and Christians existed in other contexts such as the Eastern Orthodox, the Coptic Church, and others. But the fact remains, that in the Protestant tradition in the broad sense, Churches exist with many different views that weren't necessarily understood in that manner until about 1,500 years after the founding of the Church. Odd don't you think? Maybe there's some other things going on here and maybe, God has made allowances for Church to vary from time to time and culture to culture in some manners in terms of organization and polity?

We never lose the filter that we approach Scripture with to understand it. We can and should work to identify it and minimize it so that the Word of God is seem clearly and free from our bias. It's not as easy a task as just saying it however and there's a danger that we can mistake our bias and cultural understanding for the Bible itself and then we're not rightly dividing the Word of Truth are we? A good mix of humility and being willing to examine these things and correct our understanding is an important thing to keep intact.

My opinion anyway.