The Dove and Olive Branch

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Dazed and Confused
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Dove and Olive Branch

Post by Dazed and Confused »

I have had several questions about some things in the Old Testament that have eluded me for years, so I thought I would post some and see if I am missing something. I have never been able to find a resolve from any apologist sites or books. Snice I have been studying the local flood topic as of lately, I guess I will start there. I was trying to resolve an apparent conflict in the flood account. When Noah sent out the dove from the Ark, how did the dove bring back an olive branch. Shouldn't have all the plant life died after being under water for so long? I'm wondering if an olive tree could have survived being submerged for that length of time and then sprout relatively quick. Or did God just enacted on behalf of Noah and revived the tree and caused it to sprout?
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Gman
Old School

Re: The Dove and Olive Branch

Post by Gman »

Dazed and Confused wrote:I have had several questions about some things in the Old Testament that have eluded me for years, so I thought I would post some and see if I am missing something. I have never been able to find a resolve from any apologist sites or books. Snice I have been studying the local flood topic as of lately, I guess I will start there. I was trying to resolve an apparent conflict in the flood account. When Noah sent out the dove from the Ark, how did the dove bring back an olive branch. Shouldn't have all the plant life died after being under water for so long? I'm wondering if an olive tree could have survived being submerged for that length of time and then sprout relatively quick. Or did God just enacted on behalf of Noah and revived the tree and caused it to sprout?
Dazed,

In the local flood theory not everything was submerged in the flood. Therefore olive trees were still around for the dove to gather.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Would not the trees have to be totally submerged? Otherwise someone may have climbed to the very top and lived. (Of course, I believe in the worldwide flood, not a local one.) ;)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Post by Dazed and Confused »

jenna wrote:Would not the trees have to be totally submerged? Otherwise someone may have climbed to the very top and lived. (Of course, I believe in the worldwide flood, not a local one.) ;)
I think if someone had climbed a tree that they would have been stuck up there a long time and probably starved to death. Or been plagued by the weather, though they would of had plenty to drink.
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Local floods wipe out tree too.. Or softens the dirt to make them fall...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Gman wrote:Local floods wipe out tree too.. Or softens the dirt to make them fall...
y#-o
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jenna wrote: y#-o
:P