Religulous Movie (Oct. 2008)

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
JC333
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Religulous Movie (Oct. 2008)

Post by JC333 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6MRQd4gEE - movie trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRO-LVi1FKU - interview with actor

What are your thoughts on this upcoming movie?
What kind of impact do you think it will have?

Feel free to take discussion in any direction.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Re: Religulous Movie (Oct. 2008)

Post by cslewislover »

I watched the trailer, but not the interview. Just another stab at religion that will make all the atheists have something to talk about over their lattes, but probably nothing more. We can pray that that guy, Maher or whatever, will have a conversion experience after the film is released. Now that would be something. y[-o<
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
JC333
Recognized Member

Post by JC333 »

cslewislover wrote:I watched the trailer, but not the interview. Just another stab at religion that will make all the atheists have something to talk about over their lattes, but probably nothing more. We can pray that that guy, Maher or whatever, will have a conversion experience after the film is released. Now that would be something. y[-o<
That would be something.

However, this movie will probably be very popular seeing that it is a comedy. It will probably affect not just the atheists but also many Christians.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

What do you mean it may affect Christians? Just wondering. I would be offended, as I already am. But I saw that he was putting down all, or at least main-stream, religion. I suppose we might get some persecution in our direction after this comes out, but Jesus said if we are really Christians we should experience some persecution. Maybe it'll wake some people up.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

cslewislover wrote:What do you mean it may affect Christians? Just wondering. I would be offended, as I already am. But I saw that he was putting down all, or at least main-stream, religion. I suppose we might get some persecution in our direction after this comes out, but Jesus said if we are really Christians we should experience some persecution. Maybe it'll wake some people up.
Problem...who was it that was persecuting Christ? Seems we're looking for persecution from the wrong source. My 0.02 cents at least.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

There's all kinds of persecution in the world today, especially in the Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Voice of the Martyrs and International Christian Concern are an organizations that report on it and help the persecuted. It doesn't matter if we're persecuted against by a person or a government or whatever, it's all from Satan. I don't know why you said "looking for." I don't think there are too many people who look for it.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

cslewislover wrote:There's all kinds of persecution in the world today, especially in the Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Voice of the Martyrs and International Christian Concern are an organizations that report on it and help the persecuted. It doesn't matter if we're persecuted against by a person or a government or whatever, it's all from Satan. I don't know why you said "looking for." I don't think there are too many people who look for it.
I for one look for it...it's a sign of the end getting closer and closer. I don't look "forward" to it, but I do look for it. (Matt. 24) (2 Tim. 3:12)
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Ok, but could you explain your previous post more then, the one I had commented on. It seems to mean the opposite of what you just wrote.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

cslewislover wrote:Ok, but could you explain your previous post more then, the one I had commented on. It seems to mean the opposite of what you just wrote.
About who was persecuting Christ? Sure...it was the Jews in thinking He was breaking the Sabbath, and making Himself equal to God. I'm not saying it is the Jews that will be persecuting, but (real) persecution will come from within...not from "evil"...as we see it.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Persecution can come from the country we live in, the schools we attend, the communities we live in....

Satan can use anyone and any group and any circumstance to persecute Christians. It is a very real phenomenom and not just within.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

zoegirl wrote:Persecution can come from the country we live in, the schools we attend, the communities we live in....

Satan can use anyone and any group and any circumstance to persecute Christians. It is a very real phenomenom and not just within.
Certainly. You are correct. However all those are not the main thrust of "persecution" (IMHO). All I'm saying is that despite what or where we think persecution comes/will come from, Christ's persecution came from His own...of course it was Satan that "headed"...it is Satan that heads ALL persecution whether it is large scale or personal.
JC333
Recognized Member

Post by JC333 »

cslewislover wrote:What do you mean it may affect Christians? Just wondering. I would be offended, as I already am. But I saw that he was putting down all, or at least main-stream, religion. I suppose we might get some persecution in our direction after this comes out, but Jesus said if we are really Christians we should experience some persecution. Maybe it'll wake some people up.
What I meant is that this movie might shake the faith in some believers.
Persecution is going to happen whether or not this movie comes out.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

JC333 wrote:What I meant is that this movie might shake the faith in some believers.
Persecution is going to happen whether or not this movie comes out.
I thought that was what you meant, but I wanted to be sure. If some believers lose their faith over it, it would just be an example of Jesus' Parable of the Sower (Luke 8:1-15). It happens all the time, unfortunately. My oldest friend is a professor in biochemistry and she has had her ups and downs in the faith. In the last four to five years she got really angry at a graduate student of hers who was an evangelical Christian. At first she was delighted to start looking into the Lord again with him, but then as the years went by and he was getting ready to graduate, she wrote to me that she "hated" him. And, she hasn't asked me any Christian related questions in quite a while. I fear that she too has fallen away, giving in to her academic peers (to avoid persecution) rather than fight the good fight. Unfortunately, too, academia is so liberally engrained that politics is a very large factor. Well, I'm sort-of venting/rambling here. This is something that's been very hard for me for years, and she seems mad it me now for reasons I don't know. :crying: So yes, it's a sad and difficult thing.
JC333
Recognized Member

Post by JC333 »

cslewislover wrote:it would just be an example of Jesus' Parable of the Sower (Luke 8:1-15)
But that's not good, that's sad :(

Sorry about your friend though. Have you talked to her about ID?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Lol, I know it's sad - that's why I said it at the end (!) - but it's still something you know is going to happen since Jesus told us ahead of time. That'd be funny if there was an emoticon that had like a big mallet hitting someone else in the head (um . . . I'm not violent).

Edit: I didn't find a good one depicting what I described, but I found this one showing frustration Image

The next time I write to her, I'm going to send her a copy of James Tour's essay at //www.jmtour.com/?page_id=27. From all the outlandishly nasty things I've read from bioligists against Expelled, I want to send her something like this as a middle-of-the-road essay that expresses my views. Her last letter to me was oddly cold and angry, yet she didn't say why (it could be politics, Expelled, or the fact that she didn't really want me to send her son anymore Pokemon cards for his birthday - I don't know since she didn't say). Thanks for asking y>:D<