Luke 24:46: "The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Luke 24:46: "The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead

Post by Christian2 »

Luke 24

44 He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.
46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,
47 and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 You are witnesses of these things.

Where is it written that the Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day?

I would think it would be in the Hebrew Scriptures, but where?

Thank you.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Luke 24:46: "The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead

Post by cslewislover »

The commentary I have provides that the OT verses applicable to Luke 24:46 are: Suffering - Psalm 22:1-21 and Isaiah 53:1-9; Rising - Psalm 16:10, Jonah 1:17, and Hosea 6:2. From Believer's Bible Commentary by William MacDonald (Nelson 1995), p. 1458. I hope that helps.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

cslewislover wrote:The commentary I have provides that the OT verses applicable to Luke 24:46 are: Suffering - Psalm 22:1-21 and Isaiah 53:1-9; Rising - Psalm 16:10, Jonah 1:17, and Hosea 6:2. From Believer's Bible Commentary by William MacDonald (Nelson 1995), p. 1458. I hope that helps.
Thank you.
obsolete
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by obsolete »

Christian2 wrote:Luke 24

44 He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.
46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,
47 and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 You are witnesses of these things.

Where is it written that the Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day?

I would think it would be in the Hebrew Scriptures, but where?

Thank you.
You also have to remember that they were demanding a sign from Jesus. He told them that "none would be given except the sign of Jonah".
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.