The Authority of the Word of God (Bible)

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
djshuttering
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The Authority of the Word of God (Bible)

Post by djshuttering »

I start from the conviction that the Bible is the Word of God and it alone has the authority to guide mankind as it is from the mind of God.

I have found that if I start from this mindset that it is easy to allow God to tell me what He did or will do, and I am not to question what He has said. That is the reason I don't believe in evolution.

It just doesn't make sense that a God of love who said that His creation was "very good" in Genesis 1 would have used death, suffering, bloodshed, thorns, cancer, disease and other things like that to bring about His creation.

The Bible clearly teaches that death came about because of the sin of Adam. These are my convictions. :esmile:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Authority of the Word of God (Bible)

Post by Canuckster1127 »

djshuttering wrote:I start from the conviction that the Bible is the Word of God and it alone has the authority to guide mankind as it is from the mind of God.

I have found that if I start from this mindset that it is easy to allow God to tell me what He did or will do, and I am not to question what He has said. That is the reason I don't believe in evolution.

It just doesn't make sense that a God of love who said that His creation was "very good" in Genesis 1 would have used death, suffering, bloodshed, thorns, cancer, disease and other things like that to bring about His creation.

The Bible clearly teaches that death came about because of the sin of Adam. These are my convictions. :esmile:
Doesn't make sense based on what? Your categorization too assumes more than is claimed.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

djshuttering wrote:The Bible clearly teaches that death came about because of the sin of Adam. These are my convictions. :esmile:
Death to MAN came about because of the sin of Adam...but sin was around long before man even existed...and so it is quite reasonable to assume death did too.
djshuttering
Newbie Member

Post by djshuttering »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
djshuttering wrote:I start from the conviction that the Bible is the Word of God and it alone has the authority to guide mankind as it is from the mind of God.

Doesn't make sense based on what? Your categorization too assumes more than is claimed.
Based upon the nature of God. He is not the author of death.
djshuttering
Newbie Member

Post by djshuttering »

BavarianWheels wrote:
djshuttering wrote:The Bible clearly teaches that death came about because of the sin of Adam. These are my convictions. :esmile:
Death to MAN came about because of the sin of Adam...but sin was around long before man even existed...and so it is quite reasonable to assume death did too.
The Scriptures teach that the entire creation (universe and all that is in it) is groaning due to the effects of mans sin.
Romans 8:22-23
22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

djshuttering wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:
The Scriptures teach that the entire creation (universe and all that is in it) is groaning due to the effects of mans sin.
22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
No doubt...creation after Original sin...Lucifer...but Adam wasn't created the same "day" Lucifer felt jealousy, greed...
djshuttering
Newbie Member

Post by djshuttering »

Hey BavarianWheels. Please forgive me, but I don't see what point you are trying to make. Can you please expound a bit? Thank you so much!
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

djshuttering wrote:Hey BavarianWheels. Please forgive me, but I don't see what point you are trying to make. Can you please expound a bit? Thank you so much!
Simply that since sin existed prior to Adam, it's probable that everything associated with sin did also in some form or another.

I'm simply finding disagreement with the last line of initial post.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

djshuttering wrote:The Scriptures teach that the entire creation (universe and all that is in it) is groaning due to the effects of mans sin.
Actually Romans 8:22-23 says nothing about the effects of man's sin on God's creation. It states that since "childbirth" whole creation has been groaning, even before Adam was created.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
djshuttering
Newbie Member

Post by djshuttering »

BavarianWheels wrote:
djshuttering wrote:Hey BavarianWheels. Please forgive me, but I don't see what point you are trying to make. Can you please expound a bit? Thank you so much!
Simply that since sin existed prior to Adam, it's probable that everything associated with sin did also in some form or another.

Please explain to me how you come to believe that sin existed prior to Adam. Here are the verses I believe to state very clearly that there was no death before Adams sin.
Genesis 2:16-17
And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
1 Corinthians 15:21-23
21For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.
Sorry I don't post more frequently, I work all day away from a computer. Have a great one!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

djshuttering wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:

Based upon the nature of God. He is not the author of death.
Welcome dj.

I think the discussion in this thread would interest you: A response to the "No Death Before the Fall" article
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

djshuttering wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:

Please explain to me how you come to believe that sin existed prior to Adam. Here are the verses I believe to state very clearly that there was no death before Adams sin.
Genesis 2:16-17
And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
1 Corinthians 15:21-23
21For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.
Sorry I don't post more frequently, I work all day away from a computer. Have a great one!
One word will suffice: Lucifer.
n0cr3at0r
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by n0cr3at0r »

Ok my fellow christians i have questions please answer.Please explain I form the light,and create darkness:I make peace,and create EVIL:I the LORD do all these things.Isaiah 45:7. :evil:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

n0cr3at0r wrote:Ok my fellow christians i have questions please answer.Please explain I form the light,and create darkness:I make peace,and create EVIL:I the LORD do all these things.Isaiah 45:7. :evil:

Did God Create Evil - Does the Bible Say So? Nope...

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/evil.html
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8