Why as individuals do we seek eternal life?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
johnt
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Why as individuals do we seek eternal life?

Post by johnt »

Have you really sat down and asked yourself that question? Is it the fear that things as we know them will abrubtely end someday? Could it be what we experience on a daily basis whether good or bad was in actuality all for nothing? Opinions please.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Why as individuals do we seek eternal life?

Post by Kurieuo »

johnt wrote:Have you really sat down and asked yourself that question? Is it the fear that things as we know them will abrubtely end someday? Could it be what we experience on a daily basis whether good or bad was in actuality all for nothing? Opinions please.
Do we all really seek eternal life, that is, post-death? I'd think many would prefer things to just end in nothingness.
Mingram
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Undecided

I ask myself this daily

Post by Mingram »

I think it helps us cope with death. We NEED an afterlife to help us get through life. Almost all religions have some form of afterlife.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: I ask myself this daily

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Mingram wrote:I think it helps us cope with death. We NEED an afterlife to help us get through life. Almost all religions have some form of afterlife.
Or, it could be a reflection of the purpose God created us for, we conceive of it because it reflects the image of God we are made in, whether we acknowledge that or not.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: I ask myself this daily

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Mingram wrote:I think it helps us cope with death. We NEED an afterlife to help us get through life. Almost all religions have some form of afterlife.
Or, it could be a reflection of the purpose God created us for, we conceive of it because it reflects the image of God we are made in, whether we acknowledge that or not.
Well said,

Here is something more deep to ponder and think about: God keeps his word

Note what Genesis 1:26-31 says:

"Then God said, "26 Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth..."

From what God spoke here in Genesis 1:26 you can concluded that if he extinguished humanity into non-being that act would cause him to be unable to keep his word. For God to be really all powerful and all who He is, He keeps his word and is faithful to perform what he speaks. (see Note 1 below)

Sin entered the world through Adam and Eve's transgression and we have all become 'Lost.' Now, through Christ, we can return to the Lord and walk (reflecting) Christ. Our image, reflection, (not an exact duplicate) restored. Thus, the Lord Almighty keeps his word (Revelations 21 and 22). For those that reject God's salvific work, these will live in the dominion of sin and death forever (Revelations 20:13-15): God keeping and honoring his word either way.

The Lord could destroy all flesh blotting out humanity out forever if he so desired. He could have done so in Genesis 6:5-8 but did not. Had he done so, he would have been unable to keep his word. It grieved God that he made humanity, yet, does not blot us out, keeping and honoring his word first spoken regarding humanity. The rest is a matter of history.

John 1:1-4, 12-14, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men … 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

Think on it a bit...
-
-
-

Note 1:

Isaiah 46:9, “…remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, 10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose…”

Isaiah 55:11, “…so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it
…”

All Bible quotes from the ESV
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys