Jesus was literally God's son?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Jesus was literally God's son?

Post by Silvertusk »

nobible wrote:
zoegirl wrote:Then you are not a Christian...you are merely someone who likes some of the things Christ says. Just defining the term
According to evangelicals like yourself, no. But most Christians are not evangelicals.

And your evidence of this is?
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Silvertusk wrote:
nobible wrote:
Silvertusk wrote: According to evangelicals like yourself, no. But most Christians are not evangelicals.

And your evidence of this is?
There are 2.1-2.2 billion Christians in the world. The majority are Catholics and according to the online encyclopedia:

The World Evangelical Alliance is "a network of churches in 127 nations that have each formed an evangelical alliance and over 100 international organizations joining together to give a worldwide identity, voice and platform to more than 420 million evangelical Christians" [7].

420 mill. out of 2.1-2.2 billion...you do the math. :P
There may be that many that profess to be Christian. But just because they profess it does not make them so.
A recent pole suggested that 60+% of "Christians" in America believed that there were muliple paths to heaven. ( I saw this in the Dallas morning news)
Can a person believe this and still be a Christian? I think not. I suspect that this percentage is representative of the rest of the world and may even be higher.

The Bible even states (Mat 7:21-23) that many people (professing Christians) will be expecting to go to heaven because of the works they did in his name. But He will say "depart from me, ye that work iniquity".

And regardless of the denomination of the church that you attend (even if that particular church teaches heresies) each person is a Christian or not based on what he/she believes - Not what denomination they attend. (But of course where you attend can have a great influence into what you believe).
Eoccidens
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by Eoccidens »

Hmm, very good question.

My view is one that relates to the Trinity, that is, God existing as three persons who are one in essence.

Jesus is one person in the Godhead. God is one being who is the Creator of the universe and everything. But God manifests Himself in three forms: the Father, the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is in a way an aspect of God's character. Jesus is the son of God the Father, not the son of the Godhead as a whole. Because, if he was the son of the Godhead, it would mean that he is not part of the Godhead. Jesus is the son of God the Father, not of God as a whole.