The Third Day

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The Third Day

Post by Seraph »

Someone on this forum a while back posed an interesting question about the OEC day age model.

If plants were created on the third day, and the translucent cloud was removed on the fourth day (which would come possibly millions of years later), how would the plants survive for that long, or even grow in the first place, without being exposed to the sunrays to photosynthesize? The answer might be very obvious and I just don't know a lot about plants, but I thought I'd ask.
Last edited by Seraph on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Third Day

Post by Gman »

And on the Third day God took a vacation... Because he got tired of all the questions... 8-}2 (sorry)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

works for me :D
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Seraph wrote:Someone one this forum a while back posed an interesting question about the OEC day age model.

If plants were created on the third day, and the transluent cloud was removed on the fourth day (which would come possibly millions of years later), how would the plants survive for that long, or even grow in the first place, without being exposed to the sunrays to photosynthesize? The answer might be very obvious and I just don't know a lot about plants, but I thought I'd ask.
I guess the question revolves around how much light energy would be prevented form reaching the plants. Even on a mildly cloudy day when the sun is obscured, some light energy is available for photosynthesis.

And for some of the earliest forms of photosynthetic life, the single celled protists, the algae, and the mosses (which are the forms that need the most water) , perhaps that available sun was enough.
Any thoughts?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Seraph wrote:works for me :D
It's Friday... Are you referring to Genesis 1:3-5?

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Some people refer to this verse as a different type of light, like God's "Shekinah" glory, but I don't believe that. I believe that was when God created our sun. It was simply reiterated in Genesis 1:16 so there was always a sun around....

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I guess the question revolves around how much light energy would be prevented form reaching the plants. Even on a mildly cloudy day when the sun is obscured, some light energy is available for photosynthesis.

And for some of the earliest forms of photosynthetic life, the single celled protists, the algae, and the mosses (which are the forms that need the most water) , perhaps that available sun was enough.
Any thoughts?
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole thing.

I also agree with Gman (and pretty much every other OEC) that the sun was created on the first day in Gen 1:3-5 and that Gen1:16 is a recap of a past event. It makes the most sense, plus I would have a pretty difficult time accepting that the sun and stars were created after the earth.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Seraph wrote:This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole thing.

I also agree with Gman (and pretty much every other OEC) that the sun was created on the first day in Gen 1:3-5 and that Gen1:16 is a recap of a past event. It makes the most sense, plus I would have a pretty difficult time accepting that the sun and stars were created after the earth.
It can be a bit confusing because we often try to wrap our western minds around the eastern minds... When the Jews wrote scripture they often used broad terms or reiterated things in their language to make a point. Genesis is meant to be more mystical than taken literal in many cases... Many Jews, for the most part, take Genesis to be symbolic and not literal.

Anita
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Anita »

There might be more to this... I've learned throughout my studies that G-d has a purpose for everything and this includes certain segments of the Bible that tend to repeat themselves. Such as observing the Sabbath (7th day) found in the beginning of Genesis, and than later finding its importance repeated (included) in the ten commandments. The reason G-d may have reiterated its importance, may have been because He knew in the future that the evolutionists would try to disclaim that He created earth in a literal 6 days verses millions of years.

Here the passages I've cited above:

Genesis 1:3 - And G-d said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

(3rd day) Genesis 1:16 - G-d made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

Genesis 2:3 - And G-d blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

Exodus 20:8 - Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Following this though, perhaps Genesis 1:16 was reiterated for the mere reason that the sun being mentioned again on the third day was actually a foresighted prelude to Jesus' resurrection on the third day. Hosea 6:2 - After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence. Luke 9:22 - And he said, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."

The son/Sun (Jesus) rising on the 3rd day.
Eoccidens
Newbie Member

Post by Eoccidens »

OK, what I think is that, according to the main site 'God and Science.org', the Hebrew word used on the fourth day when the sun is introduced is different to the Hebrew word 'bara', which means to create from nothing.

In other words, God made the sun on the first day when He said, 'let there be light', and it was first visible to the earth on the fourth day of creation.
Anita
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Anita »

The Hebrew word for light is pronounced OWR , but its spelled AUR (aleph, vav, resh) :

ImageImageImage