Letter From Amsterdam

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Letter From Amsterdam

Post by Gman »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Now, you can appreciate this Dutch proverb:

God created Heaven and Earth! ...but He let the Dutch create Holland.

FL
Hi FL,

The other one goes like this... "You ain't much if you ain't dutch." :mrgreen:

Have you been to the Van Gogh museum yet there in Amsterdam? I was there back in 74, I would highly recommend you go there plus the Anne Frank museum as well.

http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?lang=nl
http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=2
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Gman wrote: "You ain't much if you ain't dutch."
I like it!

Thanks for the links. My dentist also suggested that I visit the Van Gogh Museum...no, I haven´t been there yet.

We are receiving our home-exchangers (2005) from France as guests tonight. You know how the French love to eat and eat good food? ...after all, they invented cooking as an art form. Well, we have decided to serve them one of the New World´s most rustic dishes for supper tonight: Sheppard´s Pie!

As a concession to the Old World, the Sheppard´s Pie will be served with wine... I just can´t figure out if the wine should be white or red...?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Day...I haven´t a clue!

The French guests were polite and said that sheppard´s pie is an "interesting" dish. (Continental Europeans do not eat corn - it is usually reserved for farm animals.) We served the sheppard´s pie with red wine...this actually made it "good" and we spend a great evening between friends.

Today, we went with our French guests to Edam, a town where the cheese of the same name was first made. We went to Edam via a 28km-long dike (19 miles) that separates 2 "seas" in Holland. One one side of the dike the sea is 10m (30+´) below sea level, and on the other side, the sea is 6m (20´) below sea level. It is quite impressive to be on the dike and see the big difference in water levels between the two sides. Only in Holland!

Old Edam itself is a small town with narrow cobble-stoned streets and tiny narrow homes in typical Dutch style. Town Center is full of shops that sell a zillion different types of edam cheese: smoked, curried, with poppy seeds...whatever you want. I bought some Dutch licorice. If you ever have the opportunity to taste Dutch licorice, do so. It is unlike anything you have ever tried before...it is salty! You can get it mildly salty (for children & tourists), medium salty (which most Dutch prefer) and very salty (for crusty old sinners like me.)

Tomorrow, we return to Amsterdam...we may visit the Rembrant Museum.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Salty licorice? Not a fan of licorice at all, but I am a bit of a saltoholic. Does it taste like the licorice in this part of the world at all?
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Swamper wrote: Does it taste like the licorice in this part of the world at all?
Remotely, for the kiddie & tourist versions. Very remotely for the medium version. Like nothing you´ve ever tried for the Very Salty version.

FL

PS...hey! no licorice for you until you eat your vegetables, Mister!

+ + +

+ + +
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Swamper wrote: Does it taste like the licorice in this part of the world at all?
Remotely, for the kiddie & tourist versions. Very remotely for the medium version. Like nothing you´ve ever tried for the Very Salty version.

FL

PS...hey! no licorice for you until you eat your vegetables, Mister!
Hey, I had broccoli at dinner today...I even ate all of it.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

It was pouring in Amsterdam today with double-barreled-shotgun-thunderstorms.

We and our French guests wanted to visit the Rembrant Museum. When we looked ouside our home, the menacing clouds made us favor the car over the train for the trip into Amsterdam. Big mistake. We got lost. But it was my wife´s fault, I swear. She was driving. (I never get lost.)

We managed to eventually find our way to the Rembranthuis - the museum and house where Rembrant actually lived, taught and painted his masterpieces. It is a white-painted and very wide house in one of old Amsterdam´s now-trendy neighborhoods. The home's width testifies to Rembrant´s wealth when he bought it (though he died poor) for wide homes in Amsterdam are a sure sign of wealth.

The home itself is about 20m (65´) wide and 4 stories high. Huge by the standards of 17th century Europe, still large by modern standards. On each floor is a collection of Rembrant´s students´ work; all of his students´ work resembles the master´s in technique, in precision of detail, in light and shadows, and in subject matter. Rembrant painted a lot of biblical scenes and his students did the same. (Indeed, we become more and more like our Master.)

Only one floor is devoted to actual works by Rembrant, and these are his etchings. I was mostly interested in Rembrants biblical scenes depicting Christ´s Passion and crucifiction. I was surprised to see that Rembrand did not depict Christ as a taller-than-average, good-looking man. Instead, Rembrant drew an average-looking man of average stature...in accordance with the Bible, He has no comeliness that we should desire Him.

Tomorrow, our guests are returning to Strasbourg and, Praise God! I found out that the French lady is born-again.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

August 9th

We visited 3 small mideaval towns today: Naarden, Spakenburg and Elburg.

Naarden http://www.walledtowns.com/utfc/towninf ... arden.html

Naaden was an important fortified city for the Dutch, and later the Spanish who took it in 1572; and then the French who took it in 1673. Today, Naarden is a peaceful town circled by an imposing set of fortifications: ditches, ramparts, a moat, then a wall in the form of a 12-pointed star, all circle the community. Inside the walls, you discover a town with narrow cobble-stoned streets, small homes (that are now worth a lot of €uros), cafés, shops, art galleries, upscale clothing stores...

The Grote Kerk - Great Church - is the most imposing building within Naarden´s walls. This was originally a Catholic church but after the Reformation, Protestants took it over (forcefully) and destroyed priceless works of art within the church in the process (paintings, sculptures, books, chalices, et cetera.) Thankfully, the frenzied mobs couldn´t get to Grote Kerk´s very high vaulted ceiling where an unknown artist painted and chiselled into the wood the stations of the cross. An amazing work of art.

Spakenburg

My wife is a photography buff and the main reason we went to Spakenburg was to see the old ladies who wear traditionnal Spakenburg costumes on Saturday afternoon to go to the market. The ladies wear a long black skirt, covered with a long black apron; a floral-print blouse with puffy shoulders is worn tight-on-the-body. A wide tartan belt forms the border between the skirt/apron and the floral blouse. Over their head, the ladies wear a heavily-starched matching tartan "cap" that has the shape of the canvas roof of a Western wagon from the Wild West.

We saw a half-dozen old ladies in this garb. No one younger than 70 or so was wearing it.

Elburg http://www.picturesofholland.nl/elburg/elburgtext.htm

An unusual mideaval European town, Elburg has rectilinear streets that criss-cross at 90 degree angles, New World style. The town has kept its mideaval character (narrow cobblestoned streets, tiny tall homes, walled fortification around the town). Curiously, Jews were a significant minority in this small town and we found their synagogue...it is far less imposing than the town´s church with its massive square tower that dominates all of Elberg. From anywhere within the town walls, look up and you´ll see that tower - an unmistakable beacon.

Even though this town had a sizeable Jewish minority in mideaval times. Jews were not allowed to be buried within the town walls, so a small walled Jewish cemetary was put just behind the church. Also, Jews were not allowed to own land so they became the town´s merchants, bankers and ship owners. You would think that Jews would become well off carrying on these activities and would live in beautiful homes...not so! Jews were only allowed to live on homes that were built on the inside of the town wall, so that if the wall were breached by an invading enemy, Jews would be the first casualties.

Today, these former Jewish homes are small but costly and occupy the prime real estate of Elburg! (God taking care of His own?)

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

We just got back from a two-day journey that took us to Limberg Province (southern Netherlands), into Belgium, then on to Aachen, Germany.

The Dutch landscape is pretty flat. The country´s official name, Nederland, means Low Land; the word "Holland" is actually the name of just 2 provinces in the Netherlands (North- and South-Holland) but has become synonymous with the whole country.

Limberg Province Has Holland´s only mountain...a big hill, actually. It is on the border with Belgium and rises to 300+ meters (1000´). As we drove by, my wife jokingly refered to this mountain as The Dutch Alp. Then, we crossed over into Belgium. After 40 minutes of driving through Belgium´s washboard roads, we entered Germany and made our way to Aachen, the city that was the seat of King Charlemangne´s power. Teachers & students pay attention: King Charlemangne of the Franks was the guy who invented public schooling. Before him, school was reserved for the elite.

In King Charlemagne´s time, Aachen was known by its French name, Aix-la-Chapelle, and it was the seat of Charlemagne´s power. The King made it into a showpiece city, as is any capital city´s right. Aachen´s hot thermal waters - which have a pungent sulphur smell and taste - attracted the king and still attract visitors to this day. The thermal waters are said to cure or ease a number of maladies brought on by infirmity and old age....

In 794 A.D., Charlemagne chose Aix-la-Chapelle as residence and in 800 A.D. he becomes Emperor of the Franks, Saxons and Bavarians. His immense Empire benefits from his careful administration and years of prosperity ensue. Unfortunately, it is shortlived as Charlemagne dies in 814 A.D. Even so, his legacy lives on and his desire to see the common people receive a basic education is a value most countries hold to this day. (I´m pretty common yet I can read and write...thanks King Charlemagne!)

The Dome (Aachen Cathedral) was started by Charlemagne and is a masterpiece of medeval architecture. The Cathedral was finished some 600 years later and is now a UNESCO world heritage site. The main entrance is a huge bronze door on which is recounted the legend about the Cathedral´s construction: apparently, Satan claimed that the first living being to enter the completed Cathedral would be his in Hell. At completion, the builders let in a wolf as first visitor through a small door. Today, this door is known as the Wolf´s Door...and the wolf who gave his life as a sacrifice to Satan (as the legend goes) is imortalized as a bronze sculpture in the main entrance. Recent research has dated the wolf figure to ancient Greece, claiming it to be part of a hunting scene.

Other relics at the Dome (Aachen Cathedral) include: the Pala d´Oro, a golden altar piece depicting Christ´s Passion; The Golden Ambo, a pulpit decorated with antique bowls, ivory carvings, chess figures and reliefs of the 4 evangelists; the Shrine of Saint Mary - a large golden box about the size of a child´s casket - which is said to contain: 1. the apparel of the Virgin Mary, 2. the swaddling cloth and loincloth of Jesus, and 3. the decapitation cloth of John the Baptist. Since 1349 A.D. these relics are displayed every 7 years to the public...next display is in 2014; the gold sarcophagus of Charlemagne is also among the treasures.

Luckily, this church wasn´t sacked after the Reformation so that all these treasures are still there for you to see. The American military during WWII recognized the Cathedral´s importance and spared it when they bombed Aachen to liberate it from Nazi control. All the buildings in the immediate surroundings of the Dome were destroyed by aerial bombings...thanks to the good aim of American bombers!

For Men Only

I always enjoy driving on Germany´s autobahn´s because there is no speed limit. Even though we have never have had a car capable of sustained high speeds on our trips to Europe, it is ever a thrill to be driving at 130km/h (85 mph) in the slow lane and see cars zinging past us, going 80-100kp/h faster, maybe more. Also, if you like cars, Germany is the place to be to see unusual fast cars such as the Bristol Fighter...

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/BristolFighter.htm

MG is alive and well and still making sports cars! I see more Corvettes in Germany than I see Porsches (you are never a prophet on home turf...)

For Women Only

Ladies! Why not put some zing! into your life with this Summer Salad Sensation!

1 bunch radishes
1 onion
50g lamb´s lettuce (a head of Boston will do)
garlic croutons
1 tbsp chives

Carefully remove stalks and green leaves from the radishes and slice radishes thinly. Thinly slice the onion (as to make onion rings). Prepare the lettuce and put into a bowl with the sliced radishes and onions. Add croutons. Pour dressing over.

Dressing:

4 tbsp oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
dash of honey
1 tbsp mustard
salt & pepper

(Dutch recipe)

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I don't know any dutchman that hasn't tried the almond "banket" yet. If you haven't yet, you are living in sin.... :P

Pastry Ingredients:

3 sticks (3/4lb) butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon rind 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
Filling Ingredients: 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste 10 tablespoons sugar 2 eggs (separated) 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Garnish: cinnamon sugar
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:I don't know any dutchman that hasn't tried the almond "banket" yet. If you haven't yet, you are living in sin.... :P

Pastry Ingredients:

3 sticks (3/4lb) butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon rind 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
Filling Ingredients: 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste 10 tablespoons sugar 2 eggs (separated) 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Garnish: cinnamon sugar
I will try this once I get back to Canada. I normally do not visit pastry shops on holidays because I don´t want to put on too much weight...I have this rule: Excess pounds while on vacation must only come from a mixture of water, malt and hops. (Since I became born-again, integrity is important to me and I don´t like to break the rules I have set for myself.)

Speaking of rules, our Swiss exchangers from 2006 are here with us now. (The Swiss live by many rules.) They came up in their motorhome but it developped a mechanical problem so now it is in the garage: a broken head...€3000 (US$5000) to fix! They will be with us until we leave next Saturday.

I wanted to tell you about Europe´s borders. If you live in New Zealand or Australia, you do not have a border with another country but if you are from Canada or the USA, there is a border/borders with neighboring countries. If you try to cross from Canada to the USA, for example, you must stop your car, present your passport, greet the official and answer a series of questions...Where do you live?...Where are you going? ...Where will you be staying?...What is the purpose of your visit to the USA? ect. Only when the official is satisfied with your answers are you allowed entry into the USA. On return to Canada, similar questions are asked.

In Europe, it is quite different. If you are not paying attention, you enter another country without even realizing it. Only a small sign tells you that you have crossed an international border. If you missed the sign, the only other clue will be the different language on the various road signs.

I don´t really like this...I am from the school that says that good fences make good neighbors.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Gman wrote:I don't know any dutchman that hasn't tried the almond "banket" yet. If you haven't yet, you are living in sin....
I found almond blankets while strolling around here. I bought one and you are right, they are delicious. They are (perhaps) more varied than when you were in Holland, Gman, as the pastry shop had several flavors...I tried apple.

Tomorrow is our last full day in Amsterdam before returning home. We want to visit Anne Frank House; the VanGogh Museum may be for a future trip.

FL

PS: I found a link for the world´s smallest car, the Canta, which is a handy runabout on Holland´s roads and bikepaths:

http://www.amsterdamlogue.com/the-world ... t-car.html

+ + +

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Thanks for the posts/education FL, I really enjoyed my proxy vacation and I hope the both of you did as well.

Have a safe trip home.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Cross.eyed wrote:Thanks for the posts/education FL, I really enjoyed my proxy vacation and I hope the both of you did as well.
The pleasure was all mine, friend, I assure you.

We went to Anne Frank House today, getting there one-half hour before opening, yet there was already a line-up. Here - in italics - from the booklet given to all visitors, is the story of this house:

Anne Frank was one of the millions of victims of the persecution of the Jews during World War II...Otto Frank, his wife Edith Frank-Hollander and their daughters Margot and Anne took up residence in this building on the Prinsengracht [Prince Canal] on July 6, 1942. Later on, Hermann and Auguste van Pels, their son Peter, and Fritz Pfeffer joined them in hiding.

The building itself is an ordinary Amsterdam home in what was then a working-class district. The lower 2 floors (out of 5 in total) were occupied by Otto Frank´s 2 businesses: jam making and sausage making.

The building is comprised of 2 sections: the front part of the house and also a back part referred to as the annex. Otto Frank´s company was located in the front part of the house with the warehouse on the ground floor, and the offices and storeroom upstairs. The warehouse ran all the way through the building, extending under the annex out back. On the upper floors of the annex, eight people lived together in hiding. After more than 2 years, they were betrayed and deported. The Nazis ordered the emptying of the annex and all the furniture was hauled away. For this reason, it was Otto Frank´s wish after the war that the Secret Annex remain unfurnished.

Anne Frank kept a diary the entire time she lived in hiding. She mostly wrote about her personal thoughts and feelings, the isolation, and the constant fear of being discovered. Anne´s diary was first published in the Netherlands in 1947. It has been translated into more than 65 languages since then.

We have to whisper and tread lightly during the day, otherwise the people in the warehouse might hear us. -Anne Frank, July 11, 1942

The Secret Annex´s rooms are dimly lit, as they would have been during the actual hinding. There were few windows, and these gave onto the back yard, away from prying eyes. Even so, there would be no wistful looking-out-the-window: all the windows in the Secret Annex were blacked out with paint. The walls are covered with a burnt-orange wallpaper that is water-stained here and there. In the dim light, the walls take on a dirty-beige color. Flushing the toilet could only be done after the warehouse employees left for the day, for fear the noise might betray their hiding place.

After May 1940, good times rapidly fled: first the war, then the capitulation, followed by the German invasion wich is when the suffering of us Jews really began. Anti-Jewish decrees followed each other in quick succession and our freedom was strictly limited. Jews must wear a yellow star, Jews must hand in their bicycles, Jews are banned from streetcars... -Anne Frank, June 20, 1942

The office personnel helped the people in hiding by bringing them daily food supplies, books and newspapers.

In the room that Anne Frank slept, you can still see the photos she clipped from magazines and pasted onto the walls as makeshift decorations. They are from film magazines: movie stars and photos of Dutch royalty. A normal teen of her day.

On weekends, when the office and warehouse wasn´t occupied by employees, the people in hiding would fill a tub with water and take a once-a-week bath:

Margot and I have declared the front office to be our bathing grounds. Since the curtains are drawn on Saturday afternoon, we scrub ourselves in the dark, while the one who isn´t in the bath looks out the window through a chink in the curtains. Anne Frank, September 29, 1942.

These fleeting glances of the outside world often brought terror to Anne and her sister:

I saw two Jews through the curtains yesterday, it was a horrible feeling, just as if I had betrayed them in their misery Anne Frank, December 12, 1942.

Countless friends have been taken off to a dreadful fate. Night after night, green and gray military vehicles cruise the streets. It´s impossible to escape their clutches unless you go into hiding. Anne Frank, November 19, 1942.

The English radio says they´re being gassed. I feel terribly upset. Anne Frank, October 9, 1942.

On August 4th, 1944, the German SS received an anonymous tip, "There are Jews hiding at 263 Prisengracht." Investigations after the war were not able to identify the betrayor. Only Otto Frank survived the German death camps; the 7 other occupants of the Secret Annex died in various camps. Anne Frank died in March 1945, just one month before US troops liberated the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

FL

PS...I have visited a Category III Concentration Camp on a previous trip. A Cat.III Camp is one where you entered by the gate and left by the smokestack. A chilling experience for all visitors.

+ + +

+ + +
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:PS...I have visited a Category III Concentration Camp on a previous trip. A Cat.III Camp is one where you entered by the gate and left by the smokestack. A chilling experience for all visitors.
I've been to the Auschwitz camp in Poland. Chilling indeed.