Gene "Doping"

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Leprechaun
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Gene "Doping"

Post by Leprechaun »

As the field of genetics advances new and newer things become possible. Some of them are beneficial (such as disease treeatment etc. but I stubled across a worrying article :http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature ... lden_Genes
I think this doping is unethcial in it's enterity but it prompted me to think aobut the future. Many people have seen or read things about genetic modification and he like but it has akways seemed to be a distant fantasy but with possiblities such as this is it really so long before it becomes as widely available as cosmetic surgery. Perhaps more daunting is the fact that one day the modified may outnumber the unmodified thus giving them an edge. Questions are also raised about costs etc. will modification be a privelege of the rich meaning the poorer will never be able to compete as not only are they born poor but they also have no acess to gene modification. At the moment the capitalist system is built on the fact that anyone can make it rich, but if the future poor cannot compete in terms of strength, speed, intelligence, endurance etc. then will this not destroy the foundation of the sytsem?
I know this is premature by many many years but it would be stupid to say that it would never be possible even if it is decades from now.
I was just asking about peoples thoughts on the subject concerning genetic modification the pros and cons.
obsolete
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Gene "Doping"

Post by obsolete »

This was deffinately an interesting article. Strange how they look at this method of introducing a lasting gene into the body for specifically using in atheletes.

It would probably benifit even more people if they were to use this type of scientific find for finding a cure, or even helping with parkinsons, autism, ceribal paulsy and the like, instead of using stem cells. Since there is the introduction of a permanent gene/hormone.

Being able to control who gets it and who doesn't would be very easy when used in a medical manner.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.