Memetic Theory

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Screwtape
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Memetic Theory

Post by Screwtape »

Hi folks,

First time poster here. I'm wondering what Christians think of memetics/ memetic theory in relation to faith, specifically Christian faith. On my internet travels, memetics is often quoted by people as an explanation for religion and the continuance of it to this day. Ultimately, I've often encountered the theory used as an argument against God.

I will admit to a large degree of ignorance on the subject matter. I'm certainly a few chapters short of anything approaching anything beyond a cursory understanding. However, my limited knowledge on the subject has led me to believe that it is a contentious topic to say the least.

So, what are people opinions on memetic theory and it's implications for Christianity.
obsolete
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Memetic Theory

Post by obsolete »

Dawkins himself did not provide a sufficient explanation of how the replication of units of information in the brain controls human behaviour and ultimately culture, since the principal topic of the book was genetics
The above quote is from Wikipedia.

I am not a great scientist. But I do know that as a culture, we tend to "go with the flow" of things around us. We take on and are accepted by society for doing the things we do. But we have to be careful. Paul explains a bit of this in Romans 1:32.
Dawkins was a humanist. Satanism, in it's basic form is humanism. Anton LeVay knew this when he wrote his "bible". Basically, he took the things from the OT, temple rituals for Baal, and put them in his book. Basically thumbing his nose at God.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.