New archeological find

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
David Blacklock
Valued Member
Christian: No

New archeological find

Post by David Blacklock »

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: New archeological find

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Interesting...but probably artistic license.

I will have to wait for my copy of Biblical Archæology Review to come in the mail before commenting further.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Sorry to burst the bubble:

I couldn't wait for my copy of BAR to arrive, so I did a little research here at home:

-King Solomon lived circa 1000 BC
-Plato lived circa 428-348 BC
-Socrates was executed in 399 BC
-Aristotle lived 384-322 BC

None of these guys could have witnessed King Solomon's judgement of the two women who claimed to be the mother of the same baby.

So I was right: the painting is,
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Interesting...but probably artistic license.
FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
David Blacklock
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by David Blacklock »

Hi FL,

For sure artistic license. I just tho't it was interesting that an artist of that time period would want to put the three of them together.

DB
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Maybe it was the precursor to the patrons of the Rennaisance who would pay the artist to put their faces on the characters in the scene!! :esurprised: :lol:

I remember my art history teacher showing us the multiple paintings from that time period showing the lords and ladies who were snuck into the biblical scene.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

I received my copy of Biblical Archæology Review today!

The painting we are discussing on this thread is a secondary cover story along with Indiana Jones as Archæologist, The Aleppo Codex, and How Hezekiah's Tunnelers Met.

The article's writer concluded that, [Socrates' and Aristotle's] presence in the composition attests to the respect Greek philosophy could accord to Hebrew wisdom. Such a juxtaposition in art of wise men from the two civilizations was unprecedented, has rarely been done since, and is of great cultural and historical significance.

FL

+ + +

+ + +