A "faith" that works

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: A "faith" that works

Post by Jac3510 »

Agreed! Jesus went about doing God's will. Should we believers in Christ be doing the same to the degree we are able? We may all not be able to heal the blind and sick as Jesus did but we can be a reflection of God's love on this earth. That is my whole point — a truly saved person will be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit at work in his/her life and they'll demonstrate more godly behavior than non-godly all in due process of time.
OK, look at the bolded words, BW. Yes, we SHOULD act a certain way, but there is a difference in SHOULD and WILL. I "should" go to the store doesn't mean I "will" go to the store. I'm not asking you to show me where we SHOULD do good works. We all agree on that. I'm asking you to show me a single place in Scripture where it says we WILL do good works as a NECESSARY RESULT of being saved.

You've not provided a single verse that says as much.

Now, you quoted JFB's commentary on Eph 2:10. I don't disagree with anything in there. Notice what they say about the foreordaination of good works: "God marks out for each in His purposes beforehand, the particular good works, and the time and way which tie sees best. God both makes ready by His providence the opportunities for the works, and makes us ready for their performance." Just because we are READY for their perforamce does not mean we will necessarily DO them. The proof of that is simple, and I want an answer to this question. When you reply, be sure to answer this directly:

Have you ever had the opporunity to do a good work, such as to witness to someone, that you missed?

For my part, I've missed some. Lots, actually. I'm willing to bet that you have, too.

So, the Bible does NOT say that we WILL walk in the good works God prepared for us, but only that we SHOULD walk in them.

On transformation:
B.W. wrote:. If He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world — then there will be a change of character and lifestyle that is noticeable. Anyone can do good deeds but to be transformed by the power of God that is something that cannot be faked.
Would you care to provide some Scripture to prove that our transformation means we will necessarily do good works? I'm aware that you think that we are transformed the moment we are saved, and, of course, I believe that there are certain intrinsic changes, i.e., we receive the Holy Spirit along with a new nature. But just because we have those new faculties, it does not follow that we will necessarily walk in them.

Further, you suggest that a good deed done by the power of God cannot be faked. Fine. How can you tell the difference? Haven't there been wonderfully nice and humanitarian people who were Hindus, Muslims, and atheists? Haven't you met atheists who are genuinely nicer and more compassionate than some believers? You aren't really going to fall into the trap of saying that only Christians can be moral, are you?

So again, how can you tell the difference?
Will do Jac! What is the best brand in GA?
I'm a pretty simple guy. I like Barq's, myself. :cheers:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I stated in my last post:
B.W. wrote:...The problem, is not good works (as you seem to think I am implying) but rather of transformation. If He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world — then there will be a change of character and lifestyle that is noticeable. Anyone can do good deeds but to be transformed by the power of God that is something that cannot be faked.”
Let me explain how it cannot be faked but before I do let me get some clarification from you: what I am hearing you say is this: — why bother doing anything good — no need because the unsaved also do good deeds. Is this correct?

There are works of transformation that the Lord puts us through that mark us as real genuine believers and these hallmarks cannot be faked:

John 17:26, “…I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."

John 4:16-17, “So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the Day of Judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.” ESV

1 Co 16:14, “Let all that you do be done in love...” ESV

Love trains us through Chastisement as we need it. (not a popular teaching today but true nevertheless):

Hebrews 12:6-7, “For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." 7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?”

The world has its own brand of love and please do not try to compare it to God's love shed in our hearts with the worlds good deeds. There is a difference. We are being transformed by God's love too love as he. This love is not sickly syrupy sugary sweet. It far transcends that. Yes, we fail to love everyday. Yes good deeds do not prove love. But God does change a person nevertheless. This change is noticed.

So how 'is' this transformation not faked and how is it indeed noticeable? The scriptures above (and there are more) define what is being transformed. So how is it noticeable?

Jac, since you first believed, are you any different than you were before you believed? How did God transform you? Was there a noticeable change in you? Do you love God more than before and delight to honor him with your life despite your shortcomings and failings? When you fail to witness to someone — are you grieved by this? The changes that are noticeable are in fact found in your own testimony for the past 20 years. How has God transformed you? This is what I mean by discernable differences between a believer and a non-believer.

People on the outside may not always see us at our best but on occasion God's love shines through and they do take note that we are different. As we grow in the Lord, we will shine a bit more of God's love than the day before and we do learn from our mistakes and failures. Thus we are transformed into new creatures. This takes time, as long or as short as it will take per each believer's life.

Again Jac, this has nothing to do with works to keep a person saved or doing good deeds to show we are different from those in the world who do good deeds. It has to do with what the bible teaches on regarding what it means to be a believer after you are saved. Without this instruction, the Church will remain stagnate and dead — too afraid to do anything for fear of doing any works at all.

1 John 4:18, “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”

How can we be perfected in love if we are told not to do anything that works on pefecting love toward God and others because the atheist and non-believers do acts of love also demonstrated by good deeds? Is their love greater than God's who loved us and desires that his love be within us as bible teaches? You make it sound like we should do nothing due to a fear of works.

You and I both know that there will be legalist out there who will misunderstand us and misuse the bible to support a works based salvation by miss applying Jesus' words in Matthew 22:37: “And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." ESV

Should this fear keep us away from showing forth love toward God and our fellow Christians? Is that what you are implying we should do — do nothing at all? Has God's love transformed you any at all these past twenty years — has any one else noticed the change? That is what I am referring too as marked change after you first believed. The answer is within your own testimony Jac as well as mine,
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Jac3510 wrote:
Agreed! Jesus went about doing God's will. Should we believers in Christ be doing the same to the degree we are able? We may all not be able to heal the blind and sick as Jesus did but we can be a reflection of God's love on this earth. That is my whole point — a truly saved person will be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit at work in his/her life and they'll demonstrate more godly behavior than non-godly all in due process of time.
OK, look at the bolded words, BW. Yes, we SHOULD act a certain way, but there is a difference in SHOULD and WILL. I "should" go to the store doesn't mean I "will" go to the store. I'm not asking you to show me where we SHOULD do good works. We all agree on that. I'm asking you to show me a single place in Scripture where it says we WILL do good works as a NECESSARY RESULT of being saved.

You've not provided a single verse that says as much.
The author and finisher of our faith

23May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it. 1 Thess 5

Phil 1: 5-8 3I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus
jac wrote: Now, you quoted JFB's commentary on Eph 2:10. I don't disagree with anything in there. Notice what they say about the foreordaination of good works: "God marks out for each in His purposes beforehand, the particular good works, and the time and way which tie sees best. God both makes ready by His providence the opportunities for the works, and makes us ready for their performance." Just because we are READY for their perforamce does not mean we will necessarily DO them. The proof of that is simple, and I want an answer to this question. When you reply, be sure to answer this directly:

Have you ever had the opporunity to do a good work, such as to witness to someone, that you missed?

For my part, I've missed some. Lots, actually. I'm willing to bet that you have, too.

So, the Bible does NOT say that we WILL walk in the good works God prepared for us, but only that we SHOULD walk in them.
Good grief since when does the fact that we become Christians mean that we are fully sanctified?!?! He is the FINISHER of our faith. He who BEGAN a good work will CONTINUE....

Of COURSE we will miss opportunities. In fact there are times when we will flat out rebel and skip opportunities.

However, Jac, who is to say that those good works that we do aren't the ones that we are called to do? If He has made us ready, then those are the ones we do.

It seems to me that you are looking at this from a finite perspective.
jac wrote:
On transformation:
B.W. wrote:. If He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world — then there will be a change of character and lifestyle that is noticeable. Anyone can do good deeds but to be transformed by the power of God that is something that cannot be faked.
Would you care to provide some Scripture to prove that our transformation means we will necessarily do good works? I'm aware that you think that we are transformed the moment we are saved, and, of course, I believe that there are certain intrinsic changes, i.e., we receive the Holy Spirit along with a new nature. But just because we have those new faculties, it does not follow that we will necessarily walk in them.
I;ve just found three in just five minutes of searching....I'll gladly find more....but can't right now....that was just a quick search....alongside wvery one of those verses are exortations to continue to increase in loving the brothers and sisters in Christ as well as increasing in Godly speech, good works.....etc
jac wrote: Further, you suggest that a good deed done by the power of God cannot be faked. Fine. How can you tell the difference? Haven't there been wonderfully nice and humanitarian people who were Hindus, Muslims, and atheists? Haven't you met atheists who are genuinely nicer and more compassionate than some believers? You aren't really going to fall into the trap of saying that only Christians can be moral, are you?
NOw Jac, I've been following and I can say that that is not at all what B.W. is saying. If course unsaved can be show morality, of course you can find people doing good deeds before being saved. (but surely you aren't saying their good deeds aren't as filthy rags? )

However, it doesn't mean that those very same people wouldn't increase in their loving attitude towards those around them were they TO be saved, were they to believe. Were Christ to transform them, their lives would show change.

jac wrote: So again, how can you tell the difference?
To be honest, why is the world does it matter IF we can tell? The point is that there is scripture declaring that God works in a believer's life. Whether or not this works equally in all believers life is only something that God could tell and ordain.
It is not up to us to tell. It isn't up to us to sit there and proverbially examine our navals and wonder "have I done enough?" That is clearly not what scripture teaches us. And it seems that PAul teaches that as we grow in Christ we become more and more aware of our sin even as we grow more and more. It's like our eyes are opened and that veil is lifted we see our depravity more and more clearly and are repulsed by it.

No one is disputing that works doesn't save. It seems to me that all B.W. is saying, after all this, is that CHrist does not let us stay where we are. We are in the process of dying to Christ. The process of sanctification is slow, sometimes quickens, sometimes seems to have stopped altogether. We are, after all, incredibly stubborn. (all we like sheep)

I sometimes think of the growth of believers and invision a set of graphs, each slope representing the growth with an entire set of factors involved in that growth. There are some beleivers like PAul, for whom the transformation was quick. Others would be painfully slow and perhaps, from our eyes, we wouldn't see a difference.

I wonder, for instance, what we would think of David or Jacob had they been recorded in the New testamet. Surely God was working in their lives! We know it to be so!

If we extend the parable of the soils, can't we see the idea that some seeds fall on fertile soil and we see that tranformation immediatley, while others, that transormation would be slow due to the tilling required to soften the soil to allow the seed to grow.

In short:

Christ justifies and santifies. His grace transforms. I will find more scripture. Gotta get some sleep!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I notice you didn't answer my bolded question. I want you to answer this:
I wrote:Have you ever had the opporunity to do a good work, such as to witness to someone, that you missed?
Now, to answer YOUR question:
what I am hearing you say is this: — why bother doing anything good — no need because the unsaved also do good deeds. Is this correct?
No, that is not correct. I've said repeatedly in this thread that there are eternal rewards in the next life. I've also pointed out that there is chastisement for doing evil. There are plenty of reasons for doing good. It's just that none of those reasons is to prove our salvation.
There are works of transformation that the Lord puts us through that mark us as real genuine believers and these hallmarks cannot be faked:

John 17:26, “…I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."

John 4:16-17, “So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the Day of Judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.” ESV

1 Co 16:14, “Let all that you do be done in love...” ESV
The world has its own brand of love and please do not try to compare it to God's love shed in our hearts with the worlds good deeds. There is a difference. We are being transformed by God's love too love as he. This love is not sickly syrupy sugary sweet. It far transcends that. Yes, we fail to love everyday. Yes good deeds do not prove love. But God does change a person nevertheless. This change is noticed.
So the way a Christian loves is different from the way a nonbeliever loves, you say. Would you care to give me an example of the difference? Name me one thing that I as a believer can do in loving someone else that a nonbeliever cannot do. I would say Jesus disagrees with you here:

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends~John 15:13

Now, if that is the greatest love, BW, and if atheists can lay down their lives for a friend--and they certainly can--then they are capable of just as much love as I am.
So how 'is' this transformation not faked and how is it indeed noticeable? The scriptures above (and there are more) define what is being transformed. So how is it noticeable?

Jac, since you first believed, are you any different than you were before you believed? How did God transform you? Was there a noticeable change in you? Do you love God more than before and delight to honor him with your life despite your shortcomings and failings? When you fail to witness to someone — are you grieved by this? The changes that are noticeable are in fact found in your own testimony for the past 20 years. How has God transformed you? This is what I mean by discernable differences between a believer and a non-believer.
I have been transformed because I have abided in Christ. But had I not abided in Christ, I would not have been transformed. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be saved. It means I wouldn't be any different.
People on the outside may not always see us at our best but on occasion God's love shines through and they do take note that we are different. As we grow in the Lord, we will shine a bit more of God's love than the day before and we do learn from our mistakes and failures. Thus we are transformed into new creatures. This takes time, as long or as short as it will take per each believer's life.
And they notice that nice Muslims and nice Hindus are "different," too. Go back to John 15:13. The GREATEST love is to lay down my life for a friend. And nonbelievers do this. Are you saying that God's love is not as great as human love? Surely not.

So there is still no difference. What happens when we see a nonbeliever who is "different"?
Again Jac, this has nothing to do with works to keep a person saved or doing good deeds to show we are different from those in the world who do good deeds. It has to do with what the bible teaches on regarding what it means to be a believer after you are saved. Without this instruction, the Church will remain stagnate and dead — too afraid to do anything for fear of doing any works at all.
I'm perfectly aware that you don't think good works keep you saved. You believe that a "genuinely" saved person will do good works because he has been transformed by God's grace. I disagree, and I think that when you say that, you destroy the doctrine of assurance. I think that teaching denies the Gospel, BW.

I am NOT saying we should NOT do good works. We SHOULD. Absolutely. Of Course. And there are consequences for not doing them. But there is a HUGE difference in saying we SHOULD and saying we WILL.
1 John 4:18, “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”

How can we be perfected in love if we are told not to do anything that works on pefecting love toward God and others because the atheist and non-believers do acts of love also demonstrated by good deeds? Is their love greater than God's who loved us and desires that his love be within us as bible teaches? You make it sound like we should do nothing due to a fear of works.
I've never said we should not do them because an atheist can do them. Just the opposite. Just because an atheist can do them, we should also do them. But we don't do them to prove ourselves different from the atheist. That makes works a means to an end, which is terrible! We do them as the end in themselves. We do good works for the sake of the good works, and that only because we want to serve God.

Of course, if a person is abiding in Christ, he WILL want to do those things. But if he is not abiding, then he will NOT want to do those things, regardless of whether or not he SHOULD.
You and I both know that there will be legalist out there who will misunderstand us and misuse the bible to support a works based salvation by miss applying Jesus' words in Matthew 22:37: “And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." ESV

Should this fear keep us away from showing forth love toward God and our fellow Christians? Is that what you are implying we should do — do nothing at all? Has God's love transformed you any at all these past twenty years — has any one else noticed the change? That is what I am referring too as marked change after you first believed. The answer is within your own testimony Jac as well as mine,
Of course there will be people who misunderstand the Bible, but I'm not at all saying that we should not do good works because of it.

Honestly, how can you possibly get the idea that I am saying we SHOULD NOT do good works out of my statement that just because we are saved we will not NECESSARILY do good works? They aren't even related.

BW, you STILL have not given me a single verse--NOT ONE--that explicitly says that genuine believers WILL do good works. You have shown me that they SHOULD do good works. You have shown me that those who are abiding in Christ will do good works. You have shown me that in not doing good works, I will suffer chastisement. But you have NOT shown me that ALL TRUE BELIEVERS will do good works necessarily.

You've stated that our love is somehow different from theirs. You've not shown me how that can be recognized. Further, the implications of that statement are absolutely disasterous. If ALL true believers will works based on a recognizable love, then you CANNOT know that you are saved until you demonstrate that you are "different." Indeed, you can NEVER know you are saved, because you don't know that you are going to do those good works all of your life. For all you know, you could fall away in the future and prove that you were only deceiving yourself that you really believe.

Thus, for you, assurance of salvation is impossible.

I, on the other hand, have full assurance. I know I am saved. I know that I SHOULD do good works. I know that there will be rewards if I do and punishment if I don't. I, then, do NOT know what rewards I will get, because I don't know what kind of works I'll do in the future. But I do know that I am saved. The fact that your theology doesn't allow that is a problem.

So we are down to two questions:

1. Can you show me a single verse that guarantees that all true believers will necessarily do good works?
2. Have you ever missed the opportunity to do a good work?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

jac wrote:I, on the other hand, have full assurance. I know I am saved. I know that I SHOULD do good works. I know that there will be rewards if I do and punishment if I don't. I, then, do NOT know what rewards I will get, because I don't know what kind of works I'll do in the future. But I do know that I am saved. The fact that your theology doesn't allow that is a problem.

Wow, I'm a bit stunned....you've essentailly boiled down the reasons for doing good works to
1) get rewrds and
2) avoid geting punished

And here I thought that Christ's loving us and Christ in us changes our hearts to love others. Guess it's just to avoid getting punished and to reap those rewards!!

I have full assurance of being saved and do does B. W. Our theology does not require us to examine our works to see if we are saved.

Jac, your logiv is flawless, but you can't let Christ out of the equation. If He cannot effect changes, then He is not the God of scripture,

You want to delineate between believers and believers ABIDING in Christ. I don't see that delineation in scripture (other than an apsect in sanctificaiton, which of course, is not involved in justifying us before Christ)

You keep stating that you want scripture stating EXACTLy what you want. This sounds remarkanle like those who DEMAND a verse for the trinity. You probably won't find one that says exactly what you want (although there are plenty that shows that Christ empowers believers). But you know what? That demand doens't negate the concept of the trinity, not does it negate the concept of transfroming grace. And your demand is dangerous. Let's revisit the entire question of the trinity next! For we certainyl don't find one exact statement of the trinity!! (just kidding moderators!)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Hey zoe, nice to get your comments. Allow me to respond. :)
zoe wrote:The author and finisher of our faith

23May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it. 1 Thess 5

Phil 1: 5-8 3I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus
Christ certainly is the author and finisher of our faith. But it doesn't necessarily follow from that that we will necessarily do good works in this life.

On 1 Thess 5, if you aren't careful, you'll end up with sinless perfectionism. After all, if our WHOLE BODY is kept BLAMELESS until Jesus comes, and that is based on His faithfulness, well, there's no option other that sinlessness. If I sin, I am no longer blamess, and therefore, since Jesus didn't do it, I must not be saved.

The easies way to take this is that "He will do it" includes an understood contingency, as in John 15. So long as we do what Paul is saying in this chapter (this is found in a series of exhortations about righteous living) then Christ will sanctify us. Such is perfectly consistent with the rest of Scripture.

Oh Phil 1, we have a mistranslation. Let me offer mine:
  • I thank my God upon every mention of you*; always in all my prayers concerning every one of you*, with joy I make my prayers on the basis of your* fellowship in the Gospel, from the first day you* heard it until now. I am confident that the One who began a good work by you* will bring it to maturity until the day of Jesus Christ.
Notice how often he uses the word "all" (it's bolded). It's very inclusive and meant to set up a call to unity, which is the theme of the book. Also, notice that the "you" is always plural. Paul is speaking to the church as a whole, not to the individual members in it. Thus, when Paul says that God began a good work through them, he's talking about through them as a church. Finally, note that this work will continue until Jesus comes back. After that, His work will stop. Surely you don't think that God's work in our lives will cease when Jesus returns.

More simply, the idea is that the good work began by the Philippian church is their financial support of Paul, enabling him to share the gospel message throughout the world. They will get a reward for investing in Paul, then, and, as Paul noted, we are STILL receiving the benefit of their work. This has nothing to do with individual salvation.
Good grief since when does the fact that we become Christians mean that we are fully sanctified?!?! He is the FINISHER of our faith. He who BEGAN a good work will CONTINUE....

Of COURSE we will miss opportunities. In fact there are times when we will flat out rebel and skip opportunities.

However, Jac, who is to say that those good works that we do aren't the ones that we are called to do? If He has made us ready, then those are the ones we do.

It seems to me that you are looking at this from a finite perspective.
Ignoring the comment about the work He continues to do being the work of salvation (see above), then the rest of this comment means that there are two types of good works I do. The ones that I do on my own, and the ones I was predestined to do. I can NEVER miss the ones I was predestined to do, so you say. So if I miss a good work, then I just wasn't predestined to do it.

Well, that makes it very easy to justify not doing good works. If I miss one, no big deal. I just wasn't predestined to do that one, right? And if I do a good work . . . well . . . who know? Maybe that was a predestined one, but then again, maybe it wasn't!

The practical result is that no amount of good works can ever be attributed to predestination. Or, you can take it in the more obvious sense, that God prepared good works for us to do, and sometimes, we miss out on those opportunities. I must confess, though, it's amazing that anyone could hold to a doctrine that seems to say that if I sin by not doing a good work, it is only because I wasn't predestined to do that particular good work . . . odd.
;ve just found three in just five minutes of searching....I'll gladly find more....but can't right now....that was just a quick search....alongside wvery one of those verses are exortations to continue to increase in loving the brothers and sisters in Christ as well as increasing in Godly speech, good works.....etc
Find more, because none of the ones you pointed to said that we will NECESSARILY do good works as a result of our salvation.
NOw Jac, I've been following and I can say that that is not at all what B.W. is saying. If course unsaved can be show morality, of course you can find people doing good deeds before being saved. (but surely you aren't saying their good deeds aren't as filthy rags? )

However, it doesn't mean that those very same people wouldn't increase in their loving attitude towards those around them were they TO be saved, were they to believe. Were Christ to transform them, their lives would show change.
And again, this renders this a practical nothing. If a "good" unsaved person gets saved, then they'll be "better"? Come on. Really. People get "better" all the time without getting saved. There becomes absolutely no difference in attributing the improved character of a person to their own moral reform and to God's work, in this view.
To be honest, why is the world does it matter IF we can tell? The point is that there is scripture declaring that God works in a believer's life. Whether or not this works equally in all believers life is only something that God could tell and ordain.
First, no one has shown any Scripture that says that God will cause a believer to do good works. But beyond that, it matters a great deal if we can tell. The entire point of this is that those of you who believe in the final perseverance of the saints actually believe that you CAN tell, that believers WILL do good works and stay in the faith until they die, backsliding notwithstanding. If, then, I am not capable of telling whether or not my works are the works of my flesh or the works of the Spirit, then I have no way of knowing whether or not I am saved. After all, I could be chock full of good works, but if those good works are indistinguishable from those of the flesh, then I have absolutely no assurance.
It is not up to us to tell. It isn't up to us to sit there and proverbially examine our navals and wonder "have I done enough?" That is clearly not what scripture teaches us. And it seems that PAul teaches that as we grow in Christ we become more and more aware of our sin even as we grow more and more. It's like our eyes are opened and that veil is lifted we see our depravity more and more clearly and are repulsed by it.
First off, show me Scripture for any of this. It isn't there. Second off, this makes assurance impossible. When you first "got saved" at whatever age or time in your life that was, you didn't have any good works. And unless you believe you were completely sanctified unto sinless perfection at the moment of salvation, there was also still sin in your life that you weren't yet aware of, and thus, weren't repulsed by. And so, you couldn't know you were saved until you started getting repulsed by that sin and until you started having good works.

But then, when do you have enough to know? You can say all you want that we shouldn't ask, but the question forces itself. You can throw up your hands and say, "Well, I don't know whether or not I'm saved. That's in God's hands!" which is exactly what most honest Calvinists I've talked to end up doing. They just admit that they have no assurance. Now, if that's the position you take, then fine, we can talk about its ramifications. But let's not pretend like the question doesn't matter. It matters a great deal.
No one is disputing that works doesn't save. It seems to me that all B.W. is saying, after all this, is that CHrist does not let us stay where we are. We are in the process of dying to Christ. The process of sanctification is slow, sometimes quickens, sometimes seems to have stopped altogether. We are, after all, incredibly stubborn. (all we like sheep)
And if sanctification is a NECESSARY result of getting saved, then you CANNOT KNOW you are saved unless you find yourself going through that sanctification process. Then, if you hold that view, you have to ask HOW MUCH of the process you have to go through until you CAN know. And you've made it a bit worse, I think, by saying that we may not be able to distinguish our growth as either simple moral reform or Spirit-guided sanctification. Well then you REALLY can never know. That's a problem, my friend. A serious problem.
I sometimes think of the growth of believers and invision a set of graphs, each slope representing the growth with an entire set of factors involved in that growth. There are some beleivers like PAul, for whom the transformation was quick. Others would be painfully slow and perhaps, from our eyes, we wouldn't see a difference.

I wonder, for instance, what we would think of David or Jacob had they been recorded in the New testamet. Surely God was working in their lives! We know it to be so!

If we extend the parable of the soils, can't we see the idea that some seeds fall on fertile soil and we see that tranformation immediatley, while others, that transormation would be slow due to the tilling required to soften the soil to allow the seed to grow.
At some may not grow at all, according to the parable of the soil. Only the last group bore fruit. The logic on this is inescapable. If growth is a necessary result of the Christian life, then you CANNOT KNOW you have believed until you grow, and since by your own admission, some may not grow for a long time, that means they can't know for a long time. And surely you would admit that there are some people who profess faith and have a huge moral reform and it turn out the whole thing was only of themselves--they didn't really believe. And therefore, even those who grow quickly can't really know unless they maintain that growth over a long period of time.

In any case, assurance of salvation is utterly impossible.
In short:

Christ justifies and santifies. His grace transforms. I will find more scripture. Gotta get some sleep!
[/quote]
Feel free to find more Scripture. At this point, I'd be happy about a single verse. ;)

Seriously, Scripture teaches that we will grow if we abide in Christ, not that we will grow if we believe. Just the opposite, Jesus Himself said that some would believe but fall away and bear no fruit. I've given you both Scripture and basic logic to back this up. Go back to the thread that started this. John 3:16 says that EVERYONE who believes has everlasting life. It does not say that everyone who believes and bears good fruit. Surely you recognize that there are some who believe but then fall away. The Bible says as much. But according to the Bible, even they are saved, for the believed, even though they didn't persevere.

God bless
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

zoe wrote:Wow, I'm a bit stunned....you've essentailly boiled down the reasons for doing good works to
1) get rewrds and
2) avoid geting punished

And here I thought that Christ's loving us and Christ in us changes our hearts to love others. Guess it's just to avoid getting punished and to reap those rewards!!
Since when does my saying that the fact that there are rewards in the Kingdom as well as the punishment for sin mean that these are the ONLY reasons for following Christ? I'm stunned that you wouldn't consider these as additional motivators.

[edit: Paul certainly thought they were good motivators--1 Cor 9:24-27. And don't you long to hear "Well done my good and faithful servant"? Yes, they are motivators. May I request, with all due respect, that you not read more into my words than I've said? BW has had the deepest courtesy in asking me if he's understood properly the implications of my positions.]
I have full assurance of being saved and do does B. W. Our theology does not require us to examine our works to see if we are saved
I don't see how it doesn't. Now, not that you necessarily hold to the creeds, but allow me to quote Westminster:
  • Although hypocrites, and other unregenerate men, may vainly deceive themselves with false hopes and carnal presumptions of being in favour of God and estate of salvation; Job 8:13,14 Mic 3:11 De 29:19 Joh 8:41 which hope of theirs shall perish Mt 7:22,23 yet such as truly believe in the Lord Jesus, and love him in sincerity, endeavouring to walk in all good conscience before him, may in this life be certainly assured that they are in the state of grace, 1Jo 2:3 3:14,18,19,21,24 5:13 and may rejoice in the hope of the glory of God which hope shall never make them ashamed. Ro 5:2,5
You can be assured of your salvation only if ou 1) love Jesus sincerely (as opposed to an unsincere love? How do I know which category I fall into there?!?); and 2) endeavor (see the work) to walk in good conscience before Him.

If I don't do those things, I have no basis for my assurance. It's a false assurance. Thus, you DO have to look to your works to be assured of your salvation. You have to ask if you love Jesus, if you love Him sincerely, and if you are working to live before Him rightly.

So says Westminster, and beyond that, your basic theology, for if ALL believers persevere, then you can't know you are saved until you persevere.

Simple question, zoe:

How do you know you haven't deceived yourself, that you really aren't one of the elect, but rather than you are simply manufacturing good works to "ainly deceive themselves with false hopes and carnal presumptions of being in favour of God and estate of salvation"?

Isn't the problem with being deceived that you don't know that you are deceived?
Jac, your logiv is flawless, but you can't let Christ out of the equation. If He cannot effect changes, then He is not the God of scripture,
If my logic is flawless, then why do you still not believe? Is Christ illogical? Surely He isn't, so are you asserting a contradiction? And where did I say that Christ CANNOT affect change? Don't put words in my mouth. He can, and He does, when we abide in Him.
You want to delineate between believers and believers ABIDING in Christ. I don't see that delineation in scripture (other than an apsect in sanctificaiton, which of course, is not involved in justifying us before Christ)
I'll give you two verses that state it explicitly:
  • This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. (Luke 8:11-13)

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. (John 15:1-2)
In Luke, Jesus explicitly says that some people believe and then fall away. Jesus said that, not me. He actually say, "they believe for a little while." He distinguishes them from those who believe and remain in Him. In John, Jesus distinguishes between branches who are in Him who bear fruit, and branches who are in Him who do not bear fruit. Question: has any non-Christian EVER been "in Christ"? Of course not. Therefore, Jesus distinguishes, again, between abiding, fruitful believers, and temporary, fruitless believers.

That's what I want from you, zoe. I want Scriptures to back your positions. You've given me no Scripture, and you ignore the clear logic. On what do you base this belief--this belief that destroys assurance and renders the Gospel a lie? For it is no longer true that EVERYONE who believes has everlasting life, because you will say that those in Luke 8 who believed "for a little while" are not saved. Thus, John 3:16 is WRONG.

There's no way around this.
You keep stating that you want scripture stating EXACTLy what you want. This sounds remarkanle like those who DEMAND a verse for the trinity. You probably won't find one that says exactly what you want (although there are plenty that shows that Christ empowers believers). But you know what? That demand doens't negate the concept of the trinity, not does it negate the concept of transfroming grace. And your demand is dangerous. Let's revisit the entire question of the trinity next! For we certainyl don't find one exact statement of the trinity!! (just kidding moderators!)
I can show you verses that prove the Trinity.

1. There is one God (Deut 4:35)
2. The Father is God (Matt 6:9)
3. The Son is God (John 1:1)
4. The Spirit is God (1 Cor 6:19)
5. Therefore, The Father, Son, and Spirit are One.

So, that was easy. Can you show me any verses anywhere that prove that ALL believers will do good works in this life? You want to talk about transformation and predestined good works. Fine. Show me anywhere in Scripure that all believers will be so transformed that they will necessarily walk in faith, because I've shown you TWO passages that say just the opposite.

I know all of this can start to get personal. Please don't get upset or offended. I'm asking you to defend with Scripture or plain old reasoning what you believe to be true. The Bible says we should do that. We should search the Scriptures to see if what we believe is so. I know you believe that. So, search the Scriptures. I submit my thinking to them. Show me where the Bible says that ALL TRUE BELIEVERS WILL WALK IN FAITH, because I've found passages that say the opposite.

God bless
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Jac3510 wrote:
zoe wrote:Wow, I'm a bit stunned....you've essentailly boiled down the reasons for doing good works to
1) get rewrds and
2) avoid geting punished

Since when does my saying that the fact that there are rewards in the Kingdom as well as the punishment for sin mean that these are the ONLY reasons for following Christ? I'm stunned that you wouldn't consider these as additional motivators.
Glad to know that!! It was simply due to the fact that you Didn't Mention Those!!! What other response would be due considering that?? You brought up the fact that good works are done becuase there are rewards and that there are puncishments but neglected any other motivation.
jac wrote: [edit: Paul certainly thought they were good motivators--1 Cor 9:24-27. And don't you long to hear "Well done my good and faithful servant"? Yes, they are motivators. May I request, with all due respect, that you not read more into my words than I've said? BW has had the deepest courtesy in asking me if he's understood properly the implications of my positions.]
Yes, but to be honest, saying that we want to please CHrist, to hear those words well done my good and faithful servant is far differnet from "we do good to get rewards". One implies a love for the the Master, an attitude of pleasing God, wheras the other doesn't.

Hey, happy to hear otherwise. But again, what you wrote clearly gave a meaning. It certainly isn't hard to understand why I would understand
jac wrote:
I have full assurance of being saved and do does B. W. Our theology does not require us to examine our works to see if we are saved
I don't see how it doesn't. Now, not that you necessarily hold to the creeds, but allow me to quote Westminster:
  • Although hypocrites, and other unregenerate men, may vainly deceive themselves with false hopes and carnal presumptions of being in favour of God and estate of salvation; Job 8:13,14 Mic 3:11 De 29:19 Joh 8:41 which hope of theirs shall perish Mt 7:22,23 yet such as truly believe in the Lord Jesus, and love him in sincerity, endeavouring to walk in all good conscience before him, may in this life be certainly assured that they are in the state of grace, 1Jo 2:3 3:14,18,19,21,24 5:13 and may rejoice in the hope of the glory of God which hope shall never make them ashamed. Ro 5:2,5
You can be assured of your salvation only if ou 1) love Jesus sincerely (as opposed to an unsincere love? How do I know which category I fall into there?!?); and 2) endeavor (see the work) to walk in good conscience before Him.

If I don't do those things, I have no basis for my assurance. It's a false assurance. Thus, you DO have to look to your works to be assured of your salvation. You have to ask if you love Jesus, if you love Him sincerely, and if you are working to live before Him rightly.

So says Westminster, and beyond that, your basic theology, for if ALL believers persevere, then you can't know you are saved until you persevere.
FIrst, Westminster also and firstly states belief as the assurance.

Let me ask you this. If you truly believe Christ, does that not include the fact that you UNDERSTAND who He is and WHAT He has done for us? Does this not then lead to love? If so, then our belief is a saving belief. If my belief does not love, then I have no understadning of Christ and His redemptive power and His grace. Then what power does my belief have?

YOu keep bringing up the idea that endeavoring equates to work. But is not belief a type of work? I must endeavor to believe HIm. It is the work of the mind!

After we believe, does CHrist not regenerate the unbeliever when He comes to Him? We enter into a relationship with Christ. Does Christ is the relationship leave us alone? No! Do we always listen? Unfortunaltely not. Does His grace still forgive? Absolutely yes. Do we have a role in our sanctrification? YES! And in that we endeavor to become more like Him.

I'm saying that Christ is the one that allows us to persevere. And yes, I would worry that if someone claimed to believe at the age of 18 and yet showed absolutely no growth, no change by the age of 50, I would wonder. Does that mean it hasn't happened, that they don't believe? NO. But on ly God can judge that.
jac wrote: Simple question, zoe:

How do you know you haven't deceived yourself, that you really aren't one of the elect, but rather than you are simply manufacturing good works to "ainly deceive themselves with false hopes and carnal presumptions of being in favour of God and estate of salvation"?
Jac, my good works have NOTHING to do with my salvation. I have been redeemed by CHrist. His death and resurrection redeemed me. I believe in Him. I love Him. That JUSTIFIES me before Him.

THEREFORE, I have a relationship iwth Him and He sustains me. My relationship with Christ, my growth in Christ, His answers to prayers, even though several are in the maybe and not yet category show me that I have a relationship with HIm.

To be honest, I don't know why you object to this. Christ Justifies and He sanctifies. Do you not believe that Christ works in believers? (I will ask you to clarify your position regarding this but it seems that way. We believe and the what? )
jac wrote: Isn't the problem with being deceived that you don't know that you are deceived?
Not really, because I don't do good works in order to be saved. Not saying that, I am not declaring that I don't struggle with vanity or pride in my good works. But works don't save. I am not deceived. My salvation rests on CHrist's work on the cross, not on ANYTHING I can do.

My growth and works can only be a indication of the health of my relationship with Christ.
jac wrote:
If my logic is flawless, then why do you still not believe? Is Christ illogical? Surely He isn't, so are you asserting a contradiction? And where did I say that Christ CANNOT affect change? Don't put words in my mouth. He can, and He does, when we abide in Him.

Because it seems that all you keep saying over and over is that nothing seems to happen after we believe. In none of your arguments have you brought up the action of Christ in a believers life and that believers acvtions after he believes. If someone has believed and CHrist is in him, then he will change. Yes, I firmly believe that. Does that mean that change wil be immediate or at the same rate as someone else? No.

Then please elaborate for me your position on sanctification. I am interpreting the words you are putting down and so far all of the words keep stating over and over again that someone can believe and then not change.

The Christ I see and read about and have a relationship with does not leave the believer alone.
jac wrote:
I'll give you two verses that state it explicitly:
  • This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. (Luke 8:11-13)

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. (John 15:1-2)
In Luke, Jesus explicitly says that some people believe and then fall away. Jesus said that, not me. He actually say, "they believe for a little while." He distinguishes them from those who believe and remain in Him. In John, Jesus distinguishes between branches who are in Him who bear fruit, and branches who are in Him who do not bear fruit. Question: has any non-Christian EVER been "in Christ"? Of course not. Therefore, Jesus distinguishes, again, between abiding, fruitful believers, and temporary, fruitless believers.
THen they do not believe and do not have a relationship iwth Him.
jac wrote: That's what I want from you, zoe. I want Scriptures to back your positions. You've given me no Scripture, and you ignore the clear logic. On what do you base this belief--this belief that destroys assurance and renders the Gospel a lie? For it is no longer true that EVERYONE who believes has everlasting life, because you will say that those in Luke 8 who believed "for a little while" are not saved. Thus, John 3:16 is WRONG.
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

First, I DID provide THREE scripture verses in my previous response. And I iwll provide more.

Seocndly I DO NOT DISPUTE John 3:16. When have I ever disputed it?

We come to salvation by faith in CHrist....PERIOD!!!! The resurrection jsutifies us.

Christ, in that new relationship, changes us. His grace sanctifies us.

There's no way around this.
jac wrote:
I can show you verses that prove the Trinity.

1. There is one God (Deut 4:35)
2. The Father is God (Matt 6:9)
3. The Son is God (John 1:1)
4. The Spirit is God (1 Cor 6:19)
5. Therefore, The Father, Son, and Spirit are One.

So, that was easy. Can you show me any verses anywhere that prove that ALL believers will do good works in this life? You want to talk about transformation and predestined good works. Fine. Show me anywhere in Scripure that all believers will be so transformed that they will necessarily walk in faith, because I've shown you TWO passages that say just the opposite.
But look at what you had to do!! YOu had to take multiple verses and then infer that meaning. YOu won't find just one verse showing what you want. I can find multiple verses tha support the fact that Christ's power in our loves changes us.
jac wrote: I know all of this can start to get personal. Please don't get upset or offended. I'm asking you to defend with Scripture or plain old reasoning what you believe to be true. The Bible says we should do that. We should search the Scriptures to see if what we believe is so. I know you believe that. So, search the Scriptures. I submit my thinking to them. Show me where the Bible says that ALL TRUE BELIEVERS WILL WALK IN FAITH, because I've found passages that say the opposite.
Not offended....annoyed that you clearly missed my previous posting with three scripture passages that support my argument. In the porcess of finding more but I REALLY need to get back to plannign and teaching!! :esurprised:
jac wrote: God bless
same back
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote:…Now Jac, I've been following and I can say that that is not at all what B.W. is saying. If course unsaved can be show morality, of course you can find people doing good deeds before being saved. (but surely you aren't saying their good deeds aren't as filthy rags? )

Amen Zoe!!

Christian do indeed show a change in their lives after they first believe, even Jac admitted to this change! There is an inward change and a growing awareness of sin and a desire to get ride of sin that marks a believer. Personality changes, I can testify of myself that the Lord is making me more understanding of others, compassionate, and loving through various personal lessons that in no way an unbeliever could achieve by any means. It is solely God's work in my life and most definitely not mine.

Before I first believed I was an Atheist. A downright selfish and mean person. Did I do good deeds - yes but even back then 1980 and before, I noticed that certain Christians were quite different. There was something about them that I could not put my finger on. I verbally attacked them for this. But the difference was unquestionable — they had something I did not: Jesus Christ.

I remember back in the late 1970's, there was one petite dynamite looking Christian gal who would witness to us. She was in a group that did this but then go solo away from the group. During one of her solo times, two guys accosted her in Lowman's Plaza shopping Center along Rt 50 in Northern VA and began dragging her back towards the back of the building with plans of rape. My friend and I saw this and intervened with fist and told her to run. Were we noble, No.

We liked her because she took the time to speak with us in a manner unlike most Christians and besides that we both had a crush on her. If we did not know her, we probably would have done nothing but again only God knows. Was that a good deed? I'd say 'no' but others would say 'yes'. Good deeds do not save. Many non-believers do good deeds for selfish reasons. Christians do them as unto Christ. There is a difference in works.

Jesus Christ does indeed change your life for the better. To say this does not happen is not the gospel of hope. People are hurting due to the effects of sin and a life of sin. To deny them the hope of the gospel by telling them to expect no change and that it is okay to remain unchanged, is a disservice to Christ. In essence, this teaches to people to deny his name amongst men. I do not recall that gal's name but she witness to us after that event, alone, to some of the roughest crowd of my class back then. She left an impact on me. There is something different about a true believer that transcends works and deeds.

The great commission tells us to be placed in His name and make disciples of believers. This is not an option. Is it any wonder the current state of so many people in the Church demonstrate anemia? The gospel 'instructs' our faith, hope and love to grow deeper in Christ Jesus, and it does indeed produce changes in ones life. If not, then it does not bring salvation

Romans 1:16, “…For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”

If believing brings no change, no hope, nor any expectation of change but the only offer believing offers is to remain as you are; then, it brings no honest salvation into a person's life who is bound to slavery of sin.
jac wrote: I have been transformed because I have abided in Christ. But had I not abided in Christ, I would not have been transformed. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be saved. It means I wouldn't be any different.
Jac you stated that “you would not have been any different." This sounds like a Laodicaen doctrine to me…

Revelations 3:14-16, "And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. 15 "'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

However, you did admit to a change in your life that is noticeable due to Christ. I rest my case.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 10:32: “…So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”

As I understand what you are saying---
jac wrote: …But had I not abided in Christ, I would not have been transformed. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be saved. It means I wouldn't be any different.
----is that you can deny Christ before all by the way one lives as reprobate and still get into heaven with only a loss of rewards. Jesus does not appear to be agreeing with you in Matt 10:32.

You seem to be holding to a doctrine that in essence states that — sin that grace abounds is okay. With such doctrine as this, is it any wonder so many people in the body of Christ remain so messed up. Currently, the bride is not very beautiful. With such doctrines as this floating around, how could she be beautiful. It takes work to get cleaned up, which you seem to be saying is not all that necessary. What kind a bride is Christ coming for? Wise or foolish?
jac wrote: So again, how can you tell the difference?
Zorgirl answered…
zoegirl wrote:…To be honest, why is the world does it matter IF we can tell? The point is that there is scripture declaring that God works in a believer's life. Whether or not this works equally in all believers life is only something that God could tell and ordain.

It is not up to us to tell. It isn't up to us to sit there and proverbially examine our navals and wonder "have I done enough?" That is clearly not what scripture teaches us. And it seems that Paul teaches that as we grow in Christ we become more and more aware of our sin even as we grow more and more. It's like our eyes are opened and that veil is lifted we see our depravity more and more clearly and are repulsed by it.

No one is disputing that works doesn't save. It seems to me that all B.W. is saying, after all this, is that Christ does not let us stay where we are. We are in the process of dying to Christ. The process of sanctification is slow, sometimes quickens, and sometimes seems to have stopped altogether. We are, after all, incredibly stubborn. (all we like sheep)…
That is correct Zoe - Christ does not let us stay where we are. That is hope, faith and love you can count on and it will transform a person after they first believe. If not, then how could there be any hope, faith, and love in the gospel? It would be cheap fire insurance instead.

1 Thessalonians 1:5-7, “…because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. 6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all the believers....”

Ephesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

Eph 2:10 reads in the ISV: “For we are his masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared long ago to be our way of life.”

Ephesians 4:24, “and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness…”

Romans 13:14, “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.”

Colossians 3:4-15, “When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming. 7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. 8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. 11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all. 12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.”

These are not options but rather what brings froth salvation from darkness

2 Corinthians 6:14 informs us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers for what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness; however, you are informing believers that it is okay to remain in darkness!

2 Corinthians 6:14: “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?”

So, Jac, is it really okay to remain in partnership with lawlessness and darkness as a believer?

Ephesians 5:6-8, “Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not become partners with them; 8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light…”

1 Thessalonians 5:5, “For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness.”

John 1:5-9, “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Jac, you constantly hammer away that the only thing important is that a person, just, believe and that is it. To an extent, that is correct, but to the extreme it can be used as an excuse for a person to remain in darkness abusing the gospel for selfish justifications. What I and others say, is that after one believes, change comes to the believer by the hand and work of God. God does change a person and this change is noticeable.

You then counter this by saying that differences between believers and non-believers are simply moot and do not indicate one is saved or not. However: Jesus in John 12:46 says otherwise: “I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness…”

Next: “If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth,” 1 John 1:6.

You are in essence saying it is okay to remain in darkness and this remaining in darkness indicates one is saved because it is a 'loving option' granted to them that believe to remain in darkness so that they enter heaven suffering just mere lose of rewards.

Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:34-36

You will be free indeed. That is the change that marks those as truly believed. It, Jac, even has happened to you...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

Here I go again...sticking my neck into a heated conversation.
It is my understanding that "good works" relate to
1.) reacting to the desire to want to learn more about God
2.) doing our "good works" for the glory of God, not for ourselves or others. I do believe Christ commanded us to do good works "in private", in Matthew. Probably has something to do with "motive".

zoegirl's comment on Christians doing good works out of fear OR out of a desire to get rewards was stated by Richard Dawkins in his debate with John Lennox :ewink:
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

I desire to do good works because i love God. He saved me, gave me eternal life. He loves me, he is changing me a lot and for the better. And i have a feeling that even those good works are from Him.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

rodyshusband wrote:Here I go again...sticking my neck into a heated conversation.
It is my understanding that "good works" relate to
1.) reacting to the desire to want to learn more about God
2.) doing our "good works" for the glory of God, not for ourselves or others. I do believe Christ commanded us to do good works "in private", in Matthew. Probably has something to do with "motive"...
Rodyshusband and Lufia,

You are right on the mark!

Titus 3:4-5, "But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit..."

The Holy Spirit does a work in a Believer's life that transforms and changes a person. Since the Holy Spirit is at work in the lives of Believers - there will be a change over time. Paul further writes the following context:

Titus 3:6-8, "...whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. "

Good works have nothing to do with getting saved or staying saved but are done for the Glory of God because of the work of God in the Believer that transforms him/her from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.

Bible tells us that Jesus went about doing good - question: if the same Spirit that raised Christ from the Dead and empowered Jesus to go about doing good - will He not also prepare a Believer to walk in a similar manner?

Romans 8:9, "...You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him."

There will be evidences that one is a true Believer. These evidences are not necessarily good works but rather the evidence of washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit. How do you measure this? I guess the testimony from a believers life is what will tell.
Lufia wrote:I desire to do good works because i love God. He saved me, gave me eternal life. He loves me, he is changing me a lot and for the better. And i have a feeling that even those good works are from Him.
Amen Lufia - I could not have said it better!

Chirst in you the hope of Glory!

Bible quotes from ESV
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Lufia wrote:I desire to do good works because i love God. He saved me, gave me eternal life. He loves me, he is changing me a lot and for the better. And i have a feeling that even those good works are from Him.

Absolutely!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I've been trying to decide the best way to respond, particuarly to zoe's last reply. I want to try something a little different, only because, if necessary, I can always go back and line-by-line everything you said, as we usually do. I just want to point out what I think to be a self-contradiction on your part:
zoe wrote:THen they do not believe and do not have a relationship iwth Him.
Now, this is in response to Jesus' own words. Let's put them side by side:
  • They believe for a while ~Jesus Luke 8:13b
    Then they do not believe ~Zoe
I'm going to let you clarify that.

After you do that, I want to just take this one step at a time. Rather than me giving long posts that try to lay out the whole position at once, humor me and let me just ask you a series of questions. I need between three and five, assuming, of course, I get answers. I say that only because I've done this before and people start trying to see where I'm going and try to "head me off." And if you see where I'm going, fine, but when we get there, you can point out the difficulty in my thinking as you see it. The answers, I think, are incredibly obvious, but this will let me, and everyone else, know exactly where we diverge in our thinking:

1. Can you predict your personal the future? I mean, do you know where you will be or what you will be doing, say, ten years from now?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Jac3510 wrote:I've been trying to decide the best way to respond, particuarly to zoe's last reply. I want to try something a little different, only because, if necessary, I can always go back and line-by-line everything you said, as we usually do. I just want to point out what I think to be a self-contradiction on your part:
zoe wrote:THen they do not believe and do not have a relationship iwth Him.
Now, this is in response to Jesus' own words. Let's put them side by side:
  • They believe for a while ~Jesus Luke 8:13b
    Then they do not believe ~Zoe
I'm going to let you clarify that.

After you do that, I want to just take this one step at a time. Rather than me giving long posts that try to lay out the whole position at once, humor me and let me just ask you a series of questions. I need between three and five, assuming, of course, I get answers. I say that only because I've done this before and people start trying to see where I'm going and try to "head me off." And if you see where I'm going, fine, but when we get there, you can point out the difficulty in my thinking as you see it. The answers, I think, are incredibly obvious, but this will let me, and everyone else, know exactly where we diverge in our thinking:

1. Can you predict your personal the future? I mean, do you know where you will be or what you will be doing, say, ten years from now?
I know Christ and his words and they claim that He will NOT let me go, neither death nor life....so if I can predict where you are going with this, I'm guessing you will point out that I will not know whether I will believe in 10 years or 15 years.

I believe that this firmly leaves Christ out of the equation. Christ works in our hearts and minds to strengthen our faith..."the author and finisher of our faith"

so perhaps you have to resolve THIS apparent contraction....Christ declares that He will not let us go, neither, death, nor hell.... But it seems you would have it that all I have to do is waver or have some doubt and I am done for. Is Christ so powerless that our doubts are enough to crumple our relationship!??!? "Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief"

As to the contradition, I'm sure that they believed on some level (perhaps intellectually) but have not beleived in Jesus.

To be honest, Jac, we will probably go round and round on this, each getting more and more frustrated. To be perfectly blunt, I doubt we will ever approach resolution.

I don't really relish that sort of conversation.