Obama chooses Rick Warren for inauguration..

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Obama chooses Rick Warren for inauguration..

Post by Cross.eyed »

Kurieuo wrote:
Gman wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:I still can't get a grasp on Obama, it is surprising he picked Warren, which gives me more to hope for...or more to be skeptical of.

If he really does lead from the center (thats the best we could hope for) then it is possible we could get more done in the house and senate, but, I don't forsee much being hashed out with abortion or the DOMA.

Care to take a guess anyone??
I know what you are saying, but Bush didn't do much for abortion either.. As far as I know it's still legal to have one...
Bush signed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act and forced it in at a federal level when Obama kept knocking it back in his state. Some other things I have read include:
  • Banned Partial Birth Abortion — by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
  • Reversed Clinton's move to strike Reagan's anti-abortion Mexico Policy.
  • By Executive Order (EO), reversed Clinton's policy of not requiring parental consent for abortions under the Medical Privacy Act.
  • By EO, prohibited federal funds for international family planning groups that provide abortions and related services.
  • Upheld the ban on abortions at military hospitals.
  • Made $33 million available for abstinence education programs in 2004.
On the issue of this thread, does inauguration by Warren really mean that much?
Thanks for the info K.
I remember the ban on partial birth abortion and the reversal of Clinton's parental consent policy, along with abstinence education but I missed the rest.

I guess I'm so biased against abortion that I won't be satisfied until this horrid practice is completely done away with.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Gman wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:I still can't get a grasp on Obama, it is surprising he picked Warren, which gives me more to hope for...or more to be skeptical of.

If he really does lead from the center (thats the best we could hope for) then it is possible we could get more done in the house and senate, but, I don't forsee much being hashed out with abortion or the DOMA.

I know what you are saying, but Bush didn't do much for abortion either.. As far as I know it's still legal to have one...
Bush signed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act and forced it in at a federal level when Obama kept knocking it back in his state. Some other things I have read include:
  • Banned Partial Birth Abortion — by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
  • By Executive Order (EO), reversed Clinton's policy of not requiring parental consent for abortions under the Medical Privacy Act.
  • By EO, prohibited federal funds for international family planning groups that provide abortions and related services.
Thanks for the info K.
I remember the ban on partial birth abortion and the reversal of Clinton's parental consent policy, along with abstinence education but I missed the rest.

I guess I'm so biased against abortion that I won't be satisfied until this horrid practice is completely done away with.
Takes an Aussie to know more about what happens in the US than Americans I guess. ;)
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Yep, we have to look through a glass darkly-it's name is Main Stream Media!!
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

Kurieuo wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Gman wrote:

Thanks for the info K.

Takes an Aussie to know more about what happens in the US than Americans I guess. ;)
There is an old Chinese saying:
"If you want to know what water is like, don't ask a fish".

You bring up a good point:
If you want to know what America is like, go outside America and look in.
This would hold true for any country or culture.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Thanks to Roe vs. Wade all presidents can do is sort out the social side of abortion, not the legal side. I'd prefer BOTH were dealt with, but you have to grit your teeth and deal with these things. ;)

It's the same thing with fornication and sodomy. Ever since 2003 Lawrence vs. Texas, Sodomy can't be illegal. What's funny though, is in some states ANY sex outside the missionary position is illegal, but ever since 2003 the only sex acts allowed in these states are:
1) missionary between man+woman
2) anal sex between two men

How bizarre! :pound:
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Harry12345 wrote:How bizarre!
That's Judicial tyranny, Harry! :clap:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

FL
Yeah, and we call it "politicians and activist judges playing hand ball with human lives just to get votes".
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Cross.eyed wrote:

FL
Great scott I've got it! y:O2 :P
Yeah, and we call it "politicians and activist judges playing hand ball with human lives just to get votes".
This is a universal phenomenum, all across the world, all throughout history. That's what happens when flawed, sinful human beings get into power, unfortunately. At least their antics serve as a constant testament to humanity's depravity.

You should see the House of Commons in the UK. I swear, sometimes it looks like something straight out of a "Where's Wally?" scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BsTzXEI ... r_embedded
These people run our lives? D'oh! y#-o
Last edited by Harry12345 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Kurieou wrote:On the issue of this thread, does inauguration by Warren really mean that much?
Nope !
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Harry12345 wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:

FL
Great scott I've got it! y:O2 :P
This is a universal phenomenum, all across the world, all throughout history. That's what happens when flawed, sinful human beings get into power, unfortunately. At least their antics serve as a constant testament to humanity's depravity.

You should see the House of Commons in the UK. I swear, sometimes it looks like something straight out of a "Where's Wally?" scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BsTzXEI ... r_embedded
These people run our lives? D'oh! y#-o
I hear ya Harry, politics in this country, when folks want to feel better about themselves, say "at least I'm not a politician"!