Revelation 10: The scroll

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Revelation 10: The scroll

Post by Christian2 »

Revelation 10:

2He was holding a little scroll, which lay open in his hand.

9So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, "Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey." 10I took the little scroll from the angel's hand and ate it. It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour. 11Then I was told, "You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, languages and kings."

We are studying the Book of Revelation in Bible Study; however we do not have a pastor teaching us. One person is the leader and I think she is doing a great job, but questions to come up and we are on our own.

Questions:

1. What was this scroll?

2. Why was it given?

3. What does verse 11 mean? John was told to prophesy. Did he? What did he prophesy?

Thank you.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Revelation 10: The scroll

Post by Cross.eyed »

Christian2 wrote:Revelation 10:
9So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, "Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey." 10I took the little scroll from the angel's hand and ate it.
This is said to be a Hebraism for receiving knowledge.
Truth is always sweet when received from God but it becomes bitter when the word is woe for the people.
Questions:
1. What was this scroll?
It is likely the same book (scroll) in Rev. 5
2. Why was it given?
So that the contents would be revealed. ( the "digesting" of the prophesy if you will.) See also Eze.2:3-3:14 and Jer.15:16 and 20:7-9 for the same effect.
If the little book is not the same as the book in Rev. 5 then the revelation is not complete because the things written within have not otherwise been revealed.
3. What does verse 11 mean? John was told to prophesy. Did he? What did he prophesy?
Literally, the verse reads-"You must prophesy again (further) concerning many peoples, nations,tongues, and kings, which he did (or does) with Israel in the rest of Revelations.

Some scholars have said the book was Jesus' title deed to the earth, but there is no scripture to support the claim of such deed unless newer translations ( that I don't know of ) have proven it so.

I hope this helps.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Christian2 wrote:Revelation 10:
9So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, "Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey." 10I took the little scroll from the angel's hand and ate it.
This is said to be a Hebraism for receiving knowledge.
Truth is always sweet when received from God but it becomes bitter when the word is woe for the people.
Questions:
1. What was this scroll?
It is likely the same book (scroll) in Rev. 5
2. Why was it given?
So that the contents would be revealed. ( the "digesting" of the prophesy if you will.) See also Eze.2:3-3:14 and Jer.15:16 and 20:7-9 for the same effect.
If the little book is not the same as the book in Rev. 5 then the revelation is not complete because the things written within have not otherwise been revealed.
Literally, the verse reads-"You must prophesy again (further) concerning many peoples, nations,tongues, and kings, which he did (or does) with Israel in the rest of Revelations.

Some scholars have said the book was Jesus' title deed to the earth, but there is no scripture to support the claim of such deed unless newer translations ( that I don't know of ) have proven it so.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. At this point in time I do not think the scroll in Rev 5 is the same scroll in Rev 10, but I do agree that the prophesy is continued in the rest of Revelations.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Hi Christian2.
I'm always open to correction, in no wise can I claim to have a lock on any scripture.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know of other possibilities for the scroll in Rev.5?
I searched four commentaries (two this evening) to find something different to no avail.

I would be grateful if you (or anyone) can share anything that opposes what I give you in my post above.

Sincerely, Cross.eyed
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

In W. MacDonald's Believer's Bible Commentary, he writes that in verse 2 the scroll was "no doubt a record of impending judgments" (p 2367); in verses 8 and 9, to eat it would be to read it and meditate on it; regarding verse 10, it is sweet to know that Christ will be glorified and things made right, but it is also bitter to contemplate and witness judgment. It does not say that this scroll is the same as the one in Revelation 5. It does seem odd that they could be the same, since the scroll of Rev 5 has seven seals, and the scroll in Rev 10 is described only as little.

John Walvoord in Every Prophecy of the Bible says that the scrolls are not the same. The scroll in 5 is in heaven, this one is on earth. Walvoord thinks the contents of the scroll are probably the Word of God. That John was told to prophesy to many was a prophecy for himself as well, since at the time he was exiled on Patmos. Parallel scroll eating verses: Ezekiel 2:9-3:4, Jeremiah 15:16-18 (pp 569 -- 572).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

cslewislover wrote:In W. MacDonald's Believer's Bible Commentary, he writes that in verse 2 the scroll was "no doubt a record of impending judgments" (p 2367); in verses 8 and 9, to eat it would be to read it and meditate on it; regarding verse 10, it is sweet to know that Christ will be glorified and things made right, but it is also bitter to contemplate and witness judgment. It does not say that this scroll is the same as the one in Revelation 5. It does seem odd that they could be the same, since the scroll of Rev 5 has seven seals, and the scroll in Rev 10 is described only as little.

Christ opened the seven seals as witnessed by one of the elders in Rev. 5:5.
If the seals binding the scroll were the only thing revealed, then what was written within?
With the seven seals off, the scroll would be opened for viewing, but if it isn't the same as the scroll in Rev.10, then the contents were not revealed with no explanation even after this. So..in my little mind, I can't understand why in the first place the seals were broken except to reveal the seals, nor can I understand why what was written within was never revealed.
It makes sense that John could have revealed the contents in Rev. 10:10..."prophesy again about many peoples, nations, languages, and kings"

If the contents of the first scroll were not revealed, then it would make sense this would be told in some manner as was Rev.10:4.

John Walvoord in Every Prophecy of the Bible says that the scrolls are not the same. The scroll in 5 is in heaven, this one is on earth.

I don't understand his statement, Rev. 4:1 After this I looked and there in heaven was an open door. The first voice that I had heard speaking to me likea trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."
Did John not go through the door into Heaven?
The prophesy is about Israel (told in Heaven) which is on earth.

Still, I maintain the qualifier in my first post that I can be wrong-it's just that I have these questions that remain unanswered.

Thanks for your post, you made me think more about this.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Cross.eyed wrote:Hi Christian2.
I'm always open to correction, in no wise can I claim to have a lock on any scripture.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know of other possibilities for the scroll in Rev.5?
I searched four commentaries (two this evening) to find something different to no avail.

I would be grateful if you (or anyone) can share anything that opposes what I give you in my post above.

Sincerely, Cross.eyed
OK, I'll see what I can find out. I have three commentary books on Revelation -- one written by Bruce Metzger, a scholar I admire -- I'll take another look. NT Wright is supposed to write a commentary as well, but it has not been published yet.

Revelation is very hard to understand and scholars differ in opinion as to what is being said.

I know that my Bible Study on Revelation will not end with this session -- I am going to have to continue reading commentaries and also keep reading Revelation over and over and over.

I just wish John had written a chapter at the end of the book saying: "And this is what my vision means...." LOL
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Cross.eyed wrote: Christ opened the seven seals as witnessed by one of the elders in Rev. 5:5.
If the seals binding the scroll were the only thing revealed, then what was written within?
With the seven seals off, the scroll would be opened for viewing, but if it isn't the same as the scroll in Rev.10, then the contents were not revealed with no explanation even after this. So..in my little mind, I can't understand why in the first place the seals were broken except to reveal the seals, nor can I understand why what was written within was never revealed.
It makes sense that John could have revealed the contents in Rev. 10:10..."prophesy again about many peoples, nations, languages, and kings"

If the contents of the first scroll were not revealed, then it would make sense this would be told in some manner as was Rev.10:4.
John Walvoord in Every Prophecy of the Bible says that the scrolls are not the same. The scroll in 5 is in heaven, this one is on earth.

I don't understand his statement, Rev. 4:1 After this I looked and there in heaven was an open door. The first voice that I had heard speaking to me likea trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."
Did John not go through the door into Heaven?
The prophesy is about Israel (told in Heaven) which is on earth.

Still, I maintain the qualifier in my first post that I can be wrong-it's just that I have these questions that remain unanswered.

Thanks for your post, you made me think more about this.
Well, as I take it, once the seals are opened in Heaven, all the judgments that follow are the revelation of that first scroll. Walvoord says that the little scroll is a paranthetical event. The angel came down from heaven and was standing on the earth. If Walvoord is correct, perhaps it means that John's book itself (and this can be the prophecy spoken of) - which is part of the word of God - is like the little scroll for us. We can read here on earth about the events to come as revealed to him in heaven. I haven't studied Revelation in a while, I'm just commenting on what I have.

I just looked in Chuck Smith's (What the World is Coming To) book on this, and he said that the little scroll indeed could mean the writing and reading of the Book of Revelation itself. He also said that some see it as John's absorbing the information he needs in order to be one of the Two Witnesses. Anyway, so of the three sources I viewed, none of them think the scrolls are the same.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

cslewislover wrote:Well, as I take it, once the seals are opened in Heaven, all the judgments that follow are the revelation of that first scroll. Walvoord says that the little scroll is a paranthetical event. The angel came down from heaven and was standing on the earth. If Walvoord is correct, perhaps it means that John's book itself (and this can be the prophecy spoken of) - which is part of the word of God - is like the little scroll for us. We can read here on earth about the events to come as revealed to him in heaven. I haven't studied Revelation in a while, I'm just commenting on what I have.

I appreciate your thoughts, your insight could well be accurate. My problem is that I can't dismiss that there is writing within and what it is. In other words, the seals themselves are revealing as they are opened and if there is more, what is it?

I agree that the little scroll is probably parenthetical and that Rev. chapters 10 and 11 are probably as well.

I just looked in Chuck Smith's (What the World is Coming To) book on this, and he said that the little scroll indeed could mean the writing and reading of the Book of Revelation itself. He also said that some see it as John's absorbing the information he needs in order to be one of the Two Witnesses. Anyway, so of the three sources I viewed, none of them think the scrolls are the same.
There must be a myriad of thoughts concerning Revelations. All the commentaries I've gone through have had at least one thing different just in the two passages we have been discussing.

Anyway, Christian2 is still looking and so am I. I'll report my findings as soon as possible.

Thank you both for making me dig in.
Edit: I don't know why my first sentence(s) are posted in your color, just letting you know I'm not trying to steal it!! :wave:
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

The New Defenders Study Bible wrote:
...All its seals will have been broken by this time(Rev. 10:2)so that the book is fully "open" with the writing signifying ownership fully displayed...
Henry M. Morris believed that both scrolls referred to were one and the same denoting a title deed to the earth.
Even though God is the owner of the earth, and that Christ will inherit the earth, we have no supporting scripture to confirm the book(s) as being a deed.
The King James Study Bible wrote:
...Rev.5:1 "The breaking of the seals would reveal the message inside each part of the scroll. Scrolls normally had writing on only one side. This scroll contains the Tribulation judgments of God
I'll continue to look for other sources.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this. Not to prove a theory, but to find truth.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Yes, it's very good to look into it. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems that the little scroll is what John would later write as the Book of Revelation. But I'd consider anything, of course. The sources I read make it sound like no one knows for sure, however.

That's funny about the color. I've seen that happen before. It must be that you wrote before the last bracketed html code.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

cslewislover wrote:Yes, it's very good to look into it. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems that the little scroll is what John would later write as the Book of Revelation.
That looks as good as anything I've found so far.
The sources I read make it sound like no one knows for sure, however.

Ditto, its starting to seem as if it is guessing. :?

That's funny about the color. I've seen that happen before. It must be that you wrote before the last bracketed html code.
I probably did. :oops:
chrisb472
Newbie Member

Post by chrisb472 »

Hi :D

The book of Rev 5 and 10 is the same book. I will explain but first we must understand the book in Rev 10.

10:3-4 (KJV)
"And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth: and when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices.
John was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not. Rev "

St John KNEW what the book said and was ask not to write them. So what are these THINGS the seven thunders uttered? After Jesus death until now there has been seven church ages and there was seven massangers in these church ages and each massanger revealed what was written in the book. Rev1:4 (KJV) Where does the massangers come from u ask?
After the Angel cried, seven thunders uttered THEIR VOICES. If we look up the word their in the dictionary it means: belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified. Therefore what was uttered by People voices was the things St John was not to write. And the THINGS are:

2 Peter 1:5-11 (KJV)
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Now that we understand the book in Rev 10 we can now see that the Rev 5 is the same book.

Rev 5:1 (KJV)
And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

Jesus Christ had all these virtues in him and it is to have the divine nature of God himself, read 2 Peter 1:4. Who on earth today has the divine nature of God? When Jesus Christ ask us to strive for perfection these are the things we as Christians are to work on. Rev 6: 17 y:-?
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Thanks chrisb472, and welcome to G.&S.
I'm going to think on your post for a while and hopefully come up with truth, and to see if there is any relation to the posts above.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Hi guys,

I'm still working on this one. No decision yet. I asked the leader of my Bible Study what she thought and she said go ask the minister. lol

Edited to add:

BTW: I found an article on the Internet which interprets all of Revelation.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/tbr/index.htm

I haven't had the time to read it yet. Not sure if it is a valid intepretation or not.