Resurrection question

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
drummer83
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Resurrection question

Post by drummer83 »

Hi.I consider myself a Christian,but due to some terrible life circumstances I have had a very rough go of things spiritually and just wanted some opinions on something.
I've heard most of the arguments for and against the Resurrection.One thing I just wondered-How do we know the disciples wouldn't have died for a lie?Could they not have been so determined to exalt Jesus that,despite His Death,they decided to deceive people into thinking that He was Ressurected?And when they saw their "deception" working,they continued with it to the point of death?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Re: Resurrection question

Post by cslewislover »

When I was a newer Christian this reasoning for Jesus and his resurrection seemed like a really good one. But the more suicide bombers there were, the less I thought of this reasoning. Well, I still think it's good, but that Satan has found a way to make it seem weak or weaker. Besides the disciples' behavior in this, there are other reasons to believe in Jesus' resurrection. Have you ever read The Case for Christ?
Last edited by cslewislover on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
drummer83
Newbie Member

Post by drummer83 »

Well if you're referring to the suicide bombings of the Muslims,I don't think that weakens the argument at all because the major difference there is that they are dying for something they believe to be is true,whereas the first disciples knew whether or not Jesus rose from the dead or not.If they were lying they knew they were,and therefore the argument is "nobody dies for something they know to be false".So I don't think that makes the case for the Resurrection any less credible in that sense.
But I am still curious for opinions on the original question...
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

Well, it would be my opinion, then, that no one would die for something they knew to be false. That's why I brought the Muslims in. Some of them die because they believe their faith to be true (so to nonbelievers seeing this, their actions may be equivalent to the disciples'), others do it out of motivation to provide for their families (since they get a big payoff!).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

drummer83 wrote:One thing I just wondered-How do we know the disciples wouldn't have died for a lie? Could they not have been so determined to exalt Jesus that,despite His Death,they decided to deceive people into thinking that He was Ressurected?And when they saw their "deception" working,they continued with it to the point of death?
Do you really believe that this is a possibility? that the apostles knowingly deceived others and died for a lie?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
drummer83
Newbie Member

Post by drummer83 »

That's what I'm trying to find assurance for.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

drummer83 wrote:That's what I'm trying to find assurance for.
This might help...

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=639
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
drummer83
Newbie Member

Post by drummer83 »

Great article,thanks.I admit I have most of my life been a solid follower of Christ,the doubts I have experienced have mostly been emotional in nature,as I have had circumstances where I have been very hurt spiritually.It seems as if some days I am more solid than others,but other days I am concerned about myself.Thanks guys for the articles.I've read quite a few similar ones,but if you have any more they would be much appreicated.
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by rodyshusband »

drummer83 wrote:Great article,thanks.I admit I have most of my life been a solid follower of Christ,the doubts I have experienced have mostly been emotional in nature,as I have had circumstances where I have been very hurt spiritually.It seems as if some days I am more solid than others,but other days I am concerned about myself.Thanks guys for the articles.I've read quite a few similar ones,but if you have any more they would be much appreicated.
Gary Habermas PhD. has spent most of his life studying the resurrection of Christ. You may want to consider reading some his studies regarding this; his work is comprehensive and resources well-documented.

Here is a sampling of a debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40aRXR8cBxQ
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hF5uxjBulA

I hope this helps. Thanks..
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer