WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
SerenityALWAYS
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Post by SerenityALWAYS »

Last night I had realized I needed to let go of someone who meant a lot to me [ex bf] because they were not any good for me and didn't have a relationship with god. I noticed I became very emotional and started crying I began talking to god and this strong feeling came about me and my heart started racing and I went to my father who is christian and I cried and explained that I want to accept jesus as my savior. I don't think I ever actually did or even knew how but my father who has been always trying to guide me the right way helped me. I kneeled down and ispoke 2 qod and I noticed through all that I was crying. I wasn't sad and I don't know why I was crying. I felt relief but yet I was still crying. And I noticed I've always gotten so emotional when I read the bible or prayed. Why is that?
seek the lord & his [ s t r e n g t h ] !
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Post by zoegirl »

Emotions of any kind can provoke tears, and let's face it, this is a joyous occasion indeed! Praise God!!

I used to cry at the drop of a hat when I was younger and I will still choke up on my favorite hymsn, which is really annoying because I am really happy and want to sing!! But its' hard when I am clogging up wth tears. My favorite is when I am singing "And can it be" and we get to the part where the song details

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."

And I will start to cry.

I am still praying for you!! That is a fine and absolutely normal reaction.
:amen: y>:D<
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Hi Serenity. That happens with a lot of people at different times. It can happen a lot when you sing worship songs. ^_^

I know for me and someone else I talked with once about it, I think it's on overwhelming thankfulness, appreciation (and love). And people go through times when they don't feel that way too - I mean have all the emotion well up out of them. And that's perfectly fine.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

SerenityALWAYS wrote:Last night I had realized I needed to let go of someone who meant a lot to me [ex bf] because they were not any good for me and didn't have a relationship with god. I noticed I became very emotional and started crying I began talking to god and this strong feeling came about me and my heart started racing and I went to my father who is christian and I cried and explained that I want to accept jesus as my savior. I don't think I ever actually did or even knew how but my father who has been always trying to guide me the right way helped me. I kneeled down and ispoke 2 qod and I noticed through all that I was crying. I wasn't sad and I don't know why I was crying. I felt relief but yet I was still crying. And I noticed I've always gotten so emotional when I read the bible or prayed. Why is that?
That's not a lot to go on, my friend, but in addition to the good responses you've received, it occurs to me that perhaps there's some fear of losing the relationship with your bf. People invest in what appears on the outside to be unhealthy relationships because there's some inner need being met for security or not being alone etc.

Accepting Christ as you have is a wonderful thing. Perhaps as you build your relationship with God further you'll find that God meets these types of needs and not primarily others. That is a very freeing thing, as it builds a healthy relationship based on love and not fear.

Just a thought.

Blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jt777
Newbie Member

Post by jt777 »

Hi Serenity,
It could also be that you had been brought up to know God through your father's influence even if you had not accepted Jesus directly. You knew you were going down the wrong track dating a guy who does not know God (what can light have in common with darkness?) and God was also drawing you near to Him. God is a person too, not a remote being. He yearns to have a personal relationship with all of us as his children and that involves your feelings. Its natural. Also see http://qandaongod.blogspot.com for more Q&As
JT