The Passion vs. Gospel Of John Contradiction

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

The Passion vs. Gospel Of John Contradiction

Post by Believer »

Okay, so I believe I found a contradiction between the movie The Passion of the Christ and the Gospel of John. When Jesus carries the cross in The Passion of the Christ it is the entire cross where as in the Gospel of John, Jesus carries only part of the cross, not the whole thing. Is there an explanation for this apparent contradiction and doesnt it reflect this in the Bible?
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

I found a contradiction between a research paper on evolution written by an 8th grader and Darwin's Origin of Species.

Yeah, same idea, except the Bible > Darwin.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

You do have a point. But it's not a matter of the differential between the movie and St. John; it's the end result that counts. Unbelievers will see the power of the resurrection rather than how many pieces of the cross did Christ carry. But on a exact note;....you are correct.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

<b>Unbelievers will see the power of the resurrection rather than how many pieces of the cross did Christ carry.</b>

Hardly. Atheists usually concern themselves with useless crap like the anatomical malfunction of marine life that allows a whale to swallow a man than the actual message behind the words. I can imagine an atheist complaining about this when criticizing the movie.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

It all depends;....how hard is your heart to prevent God from ministering to you. I believe that atheist are more concerned about proving Gods non-existance just to justify their guilt and shame. One who has an open heart will bypass how many pieces of the cross was carried by Christ and see the BIG picture;....redemption.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: The Passion vs. Gospel Of John Contradiction

Post by bizzt »

HelpMeGod wrote:Okay, so I believe I found a contradiction between the movie The Passion of the Christ and the Gospel of John. When Jesus carries the cross in The Passion of the Christ it is the entire cross where as in the Gospel of John, Jesus carries only part of the cross, not the whole thing. Is there an explanation for this apparent contradiction and doesnt it reflect this in the Bible?
We also look at the Historical Accuracy. The Gospel of John does not give us any other reference on the Cross. Normally in a Roman Crucifixation they make you take the big Log that is the Up and Down formation and then the other part is at the site already (from what I understand). Now the Gospel of John does not give us any information of the Cross just that it is the Cross and it does not mean that it has to be the entire Cross. So there is no Contradiction just lack of information.
Jhn 19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called [the place] of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: