html code question

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

html code question

Post by cslewislover »

Hello. I don't know a ton about html code, but I had looked up how to make text and images align left, right, or center. Below, in my signature, I've been trying to get the text to align right, so that the whole thing would take up less space and look better, but nothing I have tried works. Is it the way the site is set up (it won't accept more code), or can I do it but just don't know how. If anyone can tell me, thanks in advance!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: html code question

Post by Gman »

cslewislover wrote:Hello. I don't know a ton about html code, but I had looked up how to make text and images align left, right, or center. Below, in my signature, I've been trying to get the text to align right, so that the whole thing would take up less space and look better, but nothing I have tried works. Is it the way the site is set up (it won't accept more code), or can I do it but just don't know how. If anyone can tell me, thanks in advance!
Hi CS,

You will need to put it into tables for that like the <table><tr> </tr> </table> kind...

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp

I don't think the <table> codes are used here in the forum due to security issues however.. In other words, the forum pages aren't set to understand them...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Thanks Gman. Well, I tried, and I couldn't get it to work. So I guess the site isn't set up for it (for some reason, however, my last signature set-up was more balanced, all on its own). Thanks for that html info link!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

cslewislover wrote:Thanks Gman. Well, I tried, and I couldn't get it to work. So I guess the site isn't set up for it (for some reason, however, my last signature set-up was more balanced, all on its own). Thanks for that html info link!
Yeah, it's set to only understand the brackets [ ]... Sorry. :crying:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gman wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Thanks Gman. Well, I tried, and I couldn't get it to work. So I guess the site isn't set up for it (for some reason, however, my last signature set-up was more balanced, all on its own). Thanks for that html info link!
Yeah, too bad. :( I actually tried some of the codes with brackets, too, just in case, but they didn't work either. I didn't try everything, however, but I guess from your response that they wouldn't work in any case.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

cslewislover wrote:
Gman wrote:
Yeah, too bad. :( I actually tried some of the codes with brackets, too, just in case, but they didn't work either. I didn't try everything, however, but I guess from your response that they wouldn't work in any case.
What are you talking about? Looks to be working to me. ;)
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Kurieuo wrote:What are you talking about? Looks to be working to me. ;)
!!!! Lol. Did you go into my account and do that? I'm going to check it out. It would be way more balanced if the photo was on the other side. y:O2

OK, I went in and looked, and changed the image to the left, and aligned the text right. I guess the only reason it didn't work before is that I had spaces between the equal signs - the code you put in doesn't. Lol. Otherwise I did that wording.

Thanks, lol. You just scared me for a minute there.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

cslewislover wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:What are you talking about? Looks to be working to me. ;)
!!!! Lol. Did you go into my account and do that? I'm going to check it out. It would be way more balanced if the photo was on the other side. y:O2

OK, I went in and looked, and changed the image to the left, and aligned the text right. I guess the only reason it didn't work before is that I had spaces between the equal signs - the code you put in doesn't. Lol. Otherwise I did that wording.

Thanks, lol. You just scared me for a minute there.
Actually it wasn't setup before to work. I had to add custom BBCode to the forums for the HTML. If any other styling is require just let me know.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Kurieuo wrote:Actually it wasn't setup before to work. I had to add custom BBCode to the forums for the HTML. If any other styling is require just let me know.
Oh, wow, cool (lol)!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Hey Kurieuo, I tried using the align code to center text, but it didn't work. It worked for right. Do you know why that would be? Is another word supposed to be used? Thanks.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Try align=center

Hmmm, doesn't seem to work...

cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

GRRRRRRRR . . . Why isn't this working now? I mean, my text is back under the image instead of next to it. It's so weird - that it was one way one day, now another. I did see, Kurieuo, that you added "float" and some other wording to the code boxes, but why should that make a difference? Is floating for quotes?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

cslewislover wrote:GRRRRRRRR . . . Why isn't this working now? I mean, my text is back under the image instead of next to it. It's so weird - that it was one way one day, now another. I did see, Kurieuo, that you added "float" and some other wording to the code boxes, but why should that make a difference? Is floating for quotes?
'float' allows you to align a 'section' right or left and they can co-exist on the same line. For example:
Left floated
Right floated (notice on the same line as left floated)
'align' uses text-align which allows you to align images/text left, center or right - however you can't have two aligns on the same line. For example:
Left alignedRight aligned (notice on different lines) Oh, and float you can't use center whereas text-align [align] you can.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

OK, thanks. It works now, again, after I used the float code for both things: the image floating left, the text floating right. :D
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Hey, Kurieou, so why is the writing underneath my photo again, instead of to the side??? I hadn't changed anything. y:-?