Is going to church mandantory after getting baptized?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Anonymiss
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Is going to church mandantory after getting baptized?

Post by Anonymiss »

Is there such a thing as 'free' baptisms - in which people can walk in to get baptized and "born again" once without necessarily joining that church if they don't really want to? I don't attend church even though I consider myself a Christian, as I'm not a very sociable person and committing myself to things every so often, isn't one of my strong points..

I was "baptized" as a baby by getting some holy water sprinkled on my head,, but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get submerged.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is going to church mandantory after getting baptized?

Post by zoegirl »

Baptism does not make you a Christian, it is merely the outward sign of that relationship we have when we are redeemed by CHrist, when we believe in Him as our savior.

Going to church is mandatory in the sense that it provides us with a structure for growth and the food for that growth, it provides accountability, fellowship with other believers, which we all need at some level, whether we are extroverts or introverts. As Christians, we are part of the body of CHrist, the invisible church. In that sense, being part of a body of believers is paramount to providing a means for growing in Christ.

Is is mandatory for salvation? No, is it mandatory in any sense of our growth?, essential would be a better word.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

I'm going to go try and find some verses on this. Attending church is emphasized quite strongly in the bible; worshiping the Lord is important, and this is, of course, one thing that happens at church.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

zoegirl wrote:Baptism does not make you a Christian, it is merely the outward sign of that relationship we have when we are redeemed by CHrist, when we believe in Him as our savior.

Going to church is mandatory in the sense that it provides us with a structure for growth and the food for that growth, it provides accountability, fellowship with other believers, which we all need at some level, whether we are extroverts or introverts. As Christians, we are part of the body of CHrist, the invisible church. In that sense, being part of a body of believers is paramount to providing a means for growing in Christ.

Is is mandatory for salvation? No, is it mandatory in any sense of our growth?, essential would be a better word.
I'd say we are a part of Christ's body the moment we come to Him. Christ's "body" is comprised of all those who belong to Him. As such it doesn't make sense to say we should be a part of Christ's body, for we already are a part of His body the moment we come to Him. Whether it is paramount to growth, from a religious Christian perspective it sounds good and right, but rationally I don't see it is really paramount. Many Christians are stunted in churches, even lead astray, and as such do not grow to full spiritual maturity and often fall away. There are other means of growth and the Holy Spirit guides each person different.

Anonymiss, I understand where you are coming from. I tend to believe if one is baptised by a particular church that such not only symbolizes ones being spiritually born again in Christ, but it also represents a relationship to the body of people (church) who perform the baptism. I don't see there is such a thing as "free" baptisms. I think you will feel your baptism is quite empty unless you actually affiliate yourself with the church you are being baptised by. So what's the answer? I don't really have one. Maybe grace, understanding, love, being true and real to yourself and praying to God to lead you to somewhere you can fit.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Anonymiss wrote:Is there such a thing as 'free' baptisms - in which people can walk in to get baptized and "born again" once without necessarily joining that church if they don't really want to? I don't attend church even though I consider myself a Christian, as I'm not a very sociable person and committing myself to things every so often, isn't one of my strong points..

I was "baptized" as a baby by getting some holy water sprinkled on my head,, but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get submerged.
Let me throw my 2 cents in. You say you were baptized as a baby, was that in a Catholic church? If yes, do you still consider yourself Catholic (though non-practicing)? Again if yes, then you need to know that the sacrament of baptism you received cannot be repeated as it would be doubting God's grace. Otherwise, carry on.

Blessings,

John
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Byblos wrote: Let me throw my 2 cents in. You say you were baptized as a baby, was that in a Catholic church? If yes, do you still consider yourself Catholic (though non-practicing)? Again if yes, then you need to know that the sacrament of baptism you received cannot be repeated as it would be doubting God's grace. Otherwise, carry on.

Blessings,

John
That's interesting. I got baptised once, as an adult, and I wouldn't think of doing it again. But I have a friend who was Catholic and he started going to a nondenominational Christian church, and he got baptized there. Then after going on a missions trip, he met a girl who was Orthodox and they got married. He converted to Orthodox and then he got baptized there. They must not have thought that either of his previous baptisms was quite graceful enough (lol).

OK, about church. (1) Jesus himself established his church in Matthew 16:18. So it seems like we should be in and involved in His church. (2) The early church members met together all of the time, breaking bread together, worshiping, praying, and devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching; this benefited them and brought others to Christ (Acts 2:42 47; Romans 14:18). (3) We are called to not give up on meeting together (Hebrews 10:24-25). (4) Fellow believers and the church are to be built up, and to do that believers need to meet together; spiritual gifts are for helping other believers and the church (Eph 4:11-16; 1 Cor 12:27-28). (4) You are part of the body of Christ, and the parts should be united (and not fight, lol) (1 Cor 12:12-13).

I'm sure there are more good verses, but this is what I have for now. I hope they're helpful.
Last edited by cslewislover on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Kurieuo wrote:
zoegirl wrote:Baptism does not make you a Christian, it is merely the outward sign of that relationship we have when we are redeemed by CHrist, when we believe in Him as our savior.

I'd say we are a part of Christ's body the moment we come to Him. Christ's "body" is comprised of all those who belong to Him. As such it doesn't make sense to say we should be a part of Christ's body, for we already are a part of His body the moment we come to Him. Whether it is paramount to growth, from a religious Christian perspective it sounds good and right, but rationally I don't see it is really paramount. Many Christians are stunted in churches, even lead astray, and as such do not grow to full spiritual maturity and often fall away. There are other means of growth and the Holy Spirit guides each person different.

Anonymiss, I understand where you are coming from. I tend to believe if one is baptised by a particular church that such not only symbolizes ones being spiritually born again in Christ, but it also represents a relationship to the body of people (church) who perform the baptism. I don't see there is such a thing as "free" baptisms. I think you will feel your baptism is quite empty unless you actually affiliate yourself with the church you are being baptised by. So what's the answer? I don't really have one. Maybe grace, understanding, love, being true and real to yourself and praying to God to lead you to somewhere you can fit.
K, I would agree with all of what you say....we are certainly part of the BOdy of Christ, ie the invisible church, the moment we come to CHrist. and yes, some church mislead and stunt growth.

That doesn't mean, though, that the prinicple of a body of believers worshipping and fellowship together is not important. Just because their are faulty churches lead by bad decision, unscriptural teaching, does not mean that church is a bad thing. It simply means that we keep trying.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Anonymiss wrote:Is there such a thing as 'free' baptisms - in which people can walk in to get baptized and "born again" once without necessarily joining that church if they don't really want to? I don't attend church even though I consider myself a Christian, as I'm not a very sociable person and committing myself to things every so often, isn't one of my strong points..

I think going to church is mandatory after being baptized, but usually they at least give you a little time to towel off, put on some dry clothes and maybe even dry your hair!

(sorry .... bad joke ... couldn't resist ......)

Seriously though, Biblically I suppose you could say that there's something modelled by Jesus. He attended synagaigue weekly. The early church developed out of the synagogue model and as it spread to the gentiles the nature of the organization began to change until institutional churches began to come out from that which are quite different from what early Christianity practiced which was more tied into community life too.

Church as defined in the NT speaks more to the Christian community at first a universal level in terms of the entire body of Christ and then on a local level as local believers.

However that looks, whether an insitutional denominational, independent, or even in some cases a more informal less structured organization, I think there's not so much the command in a legalistic sense, as there is the expectation that there will be a regular meeting with, fellowshipping with and growing together as community.

In some traditions and denominations there is an expectation that church attendence will be regular and it's tied into the need for the sacrements such as eucharist or mass which their traditions are built around and seen as important for a communing member. In "lower" churches the focus is not on the sacrements but upon the sermon and teaching. In some traditions, like the Quakers the focus in on fellowship and not even the sermon so much as the gathering.

You'll need to search your heart, the word of God and your local options as to what is best for you or what you believe.

Don't go to church however because it's mandatory. That won't buy you any favor with God. God because you want to and it's a place to grow, learn and draw nearer to God and your brothers and sisters in Christ.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

I got baptised as a Catholic as a baby, and even though I didn't become a proper Christian (and not a Catholic, a Prodestant!) I was already baptised so an additional baptism wasn't needed.

I think going to chruch is pretty much compulsory, although going to Church alone will not stand you in good favour with God! (I've seen some Church members acting in particularly unChristian ways outside of the Church!)
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Harry12345 wrote:I got baptised as a Catholic as a baby, and even though I didn't become a proper Christian (and not a Catholic, a Prodestant!) I was already baptised so an additional baptism wasn't needed.
So are you saying a Catholic is in not a proper Christian? (I'm just messin' with ya Harry ... even if you think so :wink:).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
keda69
Newbie Member

Post by keda69 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:

I think going to church is mandatory after being baptized, but usually they at least give you a little time to towel off, put on some dry clothes and maybe even dry your hair!

(sorry .... bad joke ... couldn't resist ......)

Seriously though, Biblically I suppose you could say that there's something modelled by Jesus. He attended synagaigue weekly. The early church developed out of the synagogue model and as it spread to the gentiles the nature of the organization began to change until institutional churches began to come out from that which are quite different from what early Christianity practiced which was more tied into community life too.

Church as defined in the NT speaks more to the Christian community at first a universal level in terms of the entire body of Christ and then on a local level as local believers.

However that looks, whether an insitutional denominational, independent, or even in some cases a more informal less structured organization, I think there's not so much the command in a legalistic sense, as there is the expectation that there will be a regular meeting with, fellowshipping with and growing together as community.

In some traditions and denominations there is an expectation that church attendence will be regular and it's tied into the need for the sacrements such as eucharist or mass which their traditions are built around and seen as important for a communing member. In "lower" churches the focus is not on the sacrements but upon the sermon and teaching. In some traditions, like the Quakers the focus in on fellowship and not even the sermon so much as the gathering.

You'll need to search your heart, the word of God and your local options as to what is best for you or what you believe.

Don't go to church however because it's mandatory. That won't buy you any favor with God. God because you want to and it's a place to grow, learn and draw nearer to God and your brothers and sisters in Christ.

Hello Canuckster1127,

I see in your profile that you are a former pastor? So im sure you are well versed in the bible. So when you say Jesus attended synagogue weekly. what exactly is the definition of synagogue? I have read the gospels many times "in no way do i claim to be an expert in scripture" and i know in jesus time they would meet on the sabbath to discuss scripture. Now this is not the same as going to the temple. Which was only required on the high holy days. I don't believe that keeping the sabbath and attending church are the same thing. I do believe in fellowship , but that could be a few believers hanging out at a coffee shop." Didn't Jesus say when ever 3 or more of you come toogether in my name i will be there with you?. Would this be any different then what Jesus did in his time?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

keda69,

I appreciate the question.

Jewish synagogues we're usually house meetings on the Sabbath that arose not from scriptural command but from Jewish Tradition especially following the destroying of the Temple under Anthiochus Epiphanes. In the absence of the Temple system the synangougue arose as a matter of community and fellowship as well as teaching.

The early Church following Jesus death and resurrection didn't see itself as a separate religion. The were considered a sect under Judaism. Most of the followers of Christ followed the pattern of synagogue attendance up until AD 70 when Jerusalem was sacked and the reestablished temple there torn down.

Most of what came after that in terms of church history was influenced by a few other factors. In particular, the Church was opened to Gentiles and they were not required to follow Jewish Tradition (although it was a very contentious issue in the early Church ... see Acts 15 and many of Paul's Epistles mention and deal with this conflict.)

Moving forward, as the gentile presence and influence spread and characterized the early church, there were very different patterns and constructs in place but generally the idea of house meetings which were more informal that formal and also much more frequent than just weekly were what was in place. With the rise of Constantine and the establishment of Christianity as a state religion, much of the old pagan structure of the Roman Temples and Priesthood were incorporated into a blended form that actually forms the basis of a remarkable number of practices and symbols that are still present in most Catholic and Protestant churches today, although most people are not aware of them.

So, my answer to you (and to me) is that I think it's valuable to know this and even read and study some in this area. I tend to believe that the Church is not an insitution and that we've done great damage to Biblical teaching with the way we in our culture confuse the organic church with an organization. I'm not anti-church however as I believe many (not all) who attend many churches are genuine followers of Christ and therefore if they are there then you have fellowship (although it's tough in that structure at times). I don't in any way fault those however who forgo institutional Churches and seek to establish a form of organic church in homes or otherwise. In fact, that's the direction I lean personally, although this is a fairly recent change in perspective for me. Being a former pastor, it's especially difficult because much of my identity was found in those structures. Now I just want to know Christ and the power of his love and resurrection.

I hope that answers your question. If not please ask again.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Going to some churches I've been to might be hazardous to your spiritual health.

Bart makes some good points here.

I have a men's bible study on Mondays that is more "church" in the biblical sense, than much of what we call "church" today. You don't "go" to church. You are the church, the body of Christ. A Christian needs to nurture what is in them. Fellowship is a component of the church. Discipleship, accountability, discipline. The list goes on. And sadly many so called churches today have substituted these truths with programming.

Parents are to train their children. Sadly, many feel that dropping them off at Sunday school once a week fulfills this.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious