Help with Bible origin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Help with Bible origin

Post by cslewislover »

For both Waynepii and Ogjak, here is a link to an article that might interest you, "The Historicity of the New Testament" by JP Moreland, Professor of Philosophy. http://www.bethinking.org/bible-jesus/a ... tament.htm This site has many different resources that they classify as Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced. The article I linked to is considered Advanced. You may want to check out some of their other things. If I have time I'm going to go over some (some of Rich's, too) and try to summarize a few points here.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
waynepii
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

cslewislover wrote:For both Waynepii and Ogjak, here is a link to an article that might interest you, "The Historicity of the New Testament" by JP Moreland, Professor of Philosophy. http://www.bethinking.org/bible-jesus/a ... tament.htm This site has many different resources that they classify as Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced. The article I linked to is considered Advanced. You may want to check out some of their other things. If I have time I'm going to go over some (some of Rich's, too) and try to summarize a few points here.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

cslewislover wrote:For both Waynepii and Ogjak, here is a link to an article that might interest you, "The Historicity of the New Testament" by JP Moreland, Professor of Philosophy. http://www.bethinking.org/bible-jesus/a ... tament.htm This site has many different resources that they classify as Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced. The article I linked to is considered Advanced. You may want to check out some of their other things. If I have time I'm going to go over some (some of Rich's, too) and try to summarize a few points here.
Great link. There are some great academic sites to show the historicity of the bible.

The Bible has been demonstrated to be reliable historically and archaeologically. When this debate is brought up we are merely repeating history. The bible has been critiqued from the get go. The reality is that many refuse to accpet the answers. They don't question the writings of Plato, or Josephus. Why? The content. No one is making a fuss over the lack of integrity in the historicity of Aristotle's works. The reality is that many if not most do not want the bible to be true, because it demonstrates a God with moral dictates they don't agree with.

So, if someone is sincerely seeking to know that the bible has been accurately preserved, then there is certainly solid proof that it can be trusted in that regard. The next question is if the historicity bible can be trusted, then what about the message? Is the message true?

If we could step away from the academic for a moment. John 14:21 says, "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
Now wouldn't it be great if God has provided a way to communicate to man the truth of Himself, through His Word?
If your desire to know is sincere then God has made a way to KNOW. A man with an argument is no match for a man with an experience. You can KNOW. But, if someone's questions are antagonistic, then they will never be satisfied with academic explanations.

In fact John 14:26 has to be one of the most intriguing verses in the Bible. Why is it included? Could it be that Jesus answered this very question. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I've been reading some sources on CS Lewis, and came across this paragraph which applies here in an anecdotal way:

"He [Lewis] read Chesterton's Everlasting Man 'and for the first time saw the whole Christian outline of history set out in a form that seemed to . . . make sense.' Shortly after this 'the hardest-boiled of all the atheists I ever knew sat in my room on the other side of the fire and remarked that the evidence for the historicity of the gospels was really surprisingly good . . . If he, the cynic of cynics, the toughest of the toughs, were not--as I would still have put it--"safe," where could I turn?'"

(From Walter Hooper's C.S. Lewis: A Complete Guide to His Live & Works, p 192; quoting Lewis in Surprised by Joy.)
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
waynepii
Valued Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

I'll check it out.

Thanks