How would you define science (and faith)

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How would you define science (and faith)

Post by Gman »

waynepii wrote:The Big Bang is the current model for the very beginnings of the universe and deals ONLY with the beginnings of the universe. The Big Bang is predicted by General Relativity. Several of relalativity's other predictions have been verified by observation, but obviously the Big Bang has not. I believe the Big Bang is still a hypothesis.
I do to.. Only that God did it. When you say that it only happens naturally without any intelligent deisgner, then we are going to have conflict.
waynepii wrote:Abiogenesis deals ONLY with origin of life and it currently has several different models, but none of them is accepted by a preponderance of the scientific community (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Current_models). Abiogenesis is clearly also a hypotheses.
Scientists can't prove it.. That is true. But they also believe they only have one explanation for it and the explanation does NOT include an intelligent designer. That is where we clash...

So if you say that scientists can't prove it, that is good... I want my beliefs taught on this a well then...
waynepii wrote:Evolution is the scientific theory explaining how organisms adapt genetically to their environment. It includes both small changes to a species and development of new species right on up to a new kingdom (although a new kingdom hasn't happened in a very long time). Like any scientific theory, it is constantly being reevaluated in light of any new evidence (DNA sequencing for example) and its predictions being evaluated. It has and will be revised as new evidence becomes available. That is not to say a scientific theory it is dynamic or fluid. Only that it will change if warranted. A scientific theory is not a dogma or belief system. This article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_ ... y_and_fact) discusses the meaning of a "theory" (not that I expect it to do any good).
Darwinian evolution is the idea that concerns us.. Our origin.. So it stands out from other scientific beliefs.. It's about our literal existence.

Darwinism or neo-Darwinism is a materialist philosophy. Whenever you take science and question the meaning or origin of life like Darwin did in his book “Origin of Species” and others, then you are making a belief system out of science (abiogenesis), the answer for everything, your concerns, a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. You are making a religious philosophy..
waynepii wrote:Each of these three terms and concepts are completely independent of one another. We know matter and life both exist and that life evolves. Whether the universe started with a Big Bang, a divine "poof", or has always existed has no bearing on how life came about, nor on how it changes and adapts over time. None of the three possible origins of the universe listed (Big Bang, divine intervention, or eternal), nor any other hypothesis, has any impact on the origin of life. (if the universe came about by divine intervention, it becomes almost certain that life originated in the same way - why would God have created the universe then stopped there?) But, regardless of how the universe came about, life might or might not not have resulted (clearly it did, obviously).
You are missing the point... Yes, we may have "beliefs" on how the Big Bang started, but when you start saying that it could have started naturally without an intelligent designer, then again, we are going to have problems...
waynepii wrote:AFAIK There is neither "microevolution", "macroevolution", nor Darwinian evolution", just evolution. Evolution is observable for small changes (adaption), but larger changes are not usually observable because they take place over extremely long time frames. But, there IS plenty of evidence for large changes, just as there is plenty of evidence for plate tectonics (another process that takes place over very long time frames, making direct observation difficult to impossible). The "Evolution as Fact and Theory" article (linked above) also discuss some of the evidence). More recent discoveries in other fields (esp genetic sequencing) correlate extremely well with evolutionary theory, and provide strong evidence for a very small set of ancestors
Baloney... They are separate. We may have some small info for micro evolution, but nothing on the macro. Where is the evidence? What facts are we talking about here?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Barabus wrote:
......and yes, we have met before. Barabus isn't my only name.
Oh, so we are posting with multiple accounts are we?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

Barabus wrote:
Barabus had evolved from a previous user?

Let me guess, you started out as a Barbarian...
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Oh, so we are posting with multiple accounts are we?
On this forum? No. Barabus is my only account. I posted here under a different name a few years ago, but forgot what that was.

JAC and I have met on a different forum before.

Check the IP if you don't believe me.
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Barabus had evolved from a previous user?

Let me guess, you started out as a Barbarian...
You, sir, are a funny man.

:clap:
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Darwinism or neo-Darwinism is a materialist philosophy. Whenever you take science and question the meaning or origin of life like Darwin did in his book “Origin of Species” and others, then you are making a belief system out of science (abiogenesis), the answer for everything, your concerns, a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. You are making a religious philosophy..

You are the only one here who seems to draw this conclusion. Perhaps people like Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens turn you off, but don't conflate whatever arguments they might use to support their case with the Theory of Evolution.

FWIW, Charles Darwin believed in God. Darwin also does not address the origin of life.....otherwise his famous book would have likely been called "Origin of Life."

As our brother clearly stated before, abiogenesis is only a hypothesis and, as far as I am aware, is presented as such. If some science teacher somewhere presents it as anything different, then you have a right to complain.

Where abiogenesis belongs in the classroom (not that I care if they pull it out) is certainly not to teach it as fact, but to show how a hypothesis is tested. As I stated in another thread, they have managed to create self replicating and evolving RNA in the laboratory. Note, abiogenesis, despite this finding, is STILL only a hypothesis. It should be made clear that this one finding alone (or al of the progress they made) does not take this beyond the hypothesis (belief, if you will) stage.

You say you want your belief taught as well. The problem is, your (and mine) belief is not a scientific one. Allow me to quote Dr. Krukonis:
ID proponents identify complex biological structures and then state taht these structures could not have been the product of natural selection and, therefore, are evidence of teh designer. Yet they don't produce any testable hypotheses. Their arguments aren't scientific -- regardless of the scientific terms and language they use -- but theological, aliens and time travelers notwithstanding [I'll note that in the previous chapter he mentioned that while in trial, many have suggested that the ID need not be divine]. They can't say, exactly, what it is that allows them to conclude that one structure shows the hand of the designer and another one doesn't. They just seem to know it when they see it. Many books are written on the subject of ID, but none of them share the methodology that would allow a student of ID to learn how decisions are reached.
IOW, though you believe there is an intelligent designer and I believe there is an intelligent designer, that belief is not founded in science and, thus, does not belong in a science class room.

Abiogenesis and the Big Bang (neither of which have anything to do with Evolution) only belong in the classroom as far as explaining what a hypothesis is, how one arrives at one, how it is tested, what results are produced, and just as importantly why it is still only a hypothesis and not a theory.

If you wish to also include ID, I don't have a problem with that either.......but the only purpose it would serve would be to explain exactly why it is NOT science.

Evolution, OTOH, is a worldwide accepted scientific theory and shoul dbe presented as exactly that, including what a scientific theory is.......1,000s of experiements and pieces of evidence supporting it and not a single one, despite all the attempts, that refutes it.

Again, if anyone is teaching that we *know* that the universe and life arrived without a God, then they are wrong.....but I am not aware of where that is being taught. Again, if it says exaclty that in your biology book, then please provide a quote and a page number.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Barabus wrote:
So, here's the deal: if you want to engage my points directly, feel free, and we can have a rational discussion (assuming, of course, you can drop the logical fallacies). If you choose not to be so kind as to answer my questions, as I have so fully engaged yours, then you can continue to argue with Gman or whoever else will put up with your rants. After all, without engagement, your "arguments" are really nothing more, are they? Without engagement, you are nothing more than a preacher.
Back to the main point: What is your rationale for why every academy of science on the planet accepts Evolution as a scientific theory when, supposedly, it is not?

I'll fall asleep to the crickets as I don't expect an answer.

Oh please. Tell you what. Since I'm just a theologian who doesn't understand science (despite my proof to the contrary), let me quote someone who answers this question themself who DOES understand science and Darwinism:
  • The present lack of a definitely accept account of the origin f life should certainly not be taken as a stumbling block for the whole Darwinian world view (166)

My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we shoudl still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories. (287)

The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity. Even if the evidence did not favor it, it would still be the best theory available! (317)
I'm sure you recognize Richard Dawkins' words from The Blind Watchmaker. So don't tell me this is about evidence or scientific theory. This is about a world view. It is accepted for philosophical reasons, and given the term "scientific" to give it more weight. In the end, it is an untestable and unobservable belief that will be held and defended regardless of what the evidence has to say. It is, in Dawkins' own words, a world view. Just as evolutionists complain that creationists go out of their way to defend and interpret evidence in light of their personal beliefs, Darwinists do just the same, and that from their own lips.

Why isn't that more widely recognized? Because people have never had any proper philosophical training and fail to see that this is a philosophical, NOT SCIENTIFIC, issue.

But, of course, I don't expect you to respond to any points in this, as you've not responded to anything else. And if we've ever spoken on other forums and I left anything of yours unaswered, it was for the same reason that I am now going to leave any of your other "arguments" (read: fallacies) unanswered: You are a preacher of your faith, no more. What further benefit is there for me, or anyone, to continue to listen to your proclamations?

I wish you all the best, but forgive me if I see no reason to continue a conversation with someone more interested in preaching than dialogue.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
waynepii
Valued Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

I fail to see what your objection to the quoted passage, other than its author.
The present lack of a definitely accept account of the origin of life should certainly not be taken as a stumbling block for the whole Darwinian world view (166)
IOW The origin of life (aka abiogenesis) does not impact evolution (aka "Darwinian world view").
My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we shoud still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories. (287)
This seems like it is out of context (there is obviously part of the train of thought missing, probably in prior paragraphs not included in the quote) BUT the statement deals with only certain aspects of life. The prior paragraph clearly indicates that abiogenesis is not addressed by "Darwinism".
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity. Even if the evidence did not favor it, it would still be the best theory available! (317)
IOW Evolution is the only known scientific theory that explains the diversity of life (not its origin).
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jac3510 wrote:Oh please. Tell you what. Since I'm just a theologian who doesn't understand science (despite my proof to the contrary), let me quote someone who answers this question themself who DOES understand science and Darwinism:
  • The present lack of a definitely accept account of the origin f life should certainly not be taken as a stumbling block for the whole Darwinian world view (166)

My argument will be that Darwinism is the only known theory that is in principle capable of explaining certain aspects of life. If I am right it means that, even if there were no actual evidence in favour of the Darwinian theory (there is, of course) we shoudl still be justified in preferring it over all rival theories. (287)

I'm sure you recognize Richard Dawkins' words from The Blind Watchmaker. So don't tell me this is about evidence or scientific theory. This is about a world view. It is accepted for philosophical reasons, and given the term "scientific" to give it more weight. In the end, it is an untestable and unobservable belief that will be held and defended regardless of what the evidence has to say. It is, in Dawkins' own words, a world view. Just as evolutionists complain that creationists go out of their way to defend and interpret evidence in light of their personal beliefs, Darwinists do just the same, and that from their own lips.

Why isn't that more widely recognized? Because people have never had any proper philosophical training and fail to see that this is a philosophical, NOT SCIENTIFIC, issue.
Evidence is not necessarily required for a theory to be considered scientific.
For instance. When Einstein proposed his theory of general relativity there was no evidence to support his theory. However his theory did have strong explanatory power.
For example it could be deduced from his theory that large gravitational objects will bend the path of light.
A solar eclipse provided for the testing of this theory and as instruments became more and more precise the evidence for Einsteins theory became stronger and stronger, and it eventually replaced Newtons Principia.
What makes the theory scientific is that it is based on a great number of observations and it has explanatory power. Or in other words there are ways to disprove it through experiments.

In addition. the fact remains that there is evidence for the theory of evolution.
And we cannot forget the theory does indeed have great explanatory power.
For instance, we theorize that amphibians must have evolved from fish.
And according to fossil records we can pinpoint the likely time period when this transition must have occurred.
We can then go about searching for fossil deposits which occur in the geological period identified.
If a fossil is found which shows a transition between a fish and a land vertebrate then this would support the theory.
Remarkably this is exactly what occurred with the discovery of tiktallik.
Had the researchers gone on a random search they would not have discovered this specimen so quickly. But using the theory of evolution and the evidence collected so far, they were able to determine the best gelogical time period to begin their search.
Next we can genetically compare fish with amphibians and see if those results will also support the idea.
It would seem that they do.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Okay JAC3510, its Friday, its raining, and I am bored. I think I will finaly attack your attempts at the filibuster. First off, lets get your tactics out of the way. As I said, I once spent weeks debating with you and wasting a lot of time moving the obstacles out of the way that you like to throw out there. You haven't changed. You:

1: Write very lengthy responses that take a lot of time to wade through.
2: Rarely directly address the point the poster you responded to made but rather derail the conversation onto whatever tangent you think will best make your point.
3: Use big flowery words in an attempt either scare or confuse the person you are arguing with, or at a minimum, confuse the other readers into thinking you must know what you are talking about.
4: Despite never answering questions asked of you, you claim that your own questions must be answered to your level of satification, otherwise your opponent must concede defeat.

Awfuly disengenuous. I dare say its awfuly close to breaking one of the commandments as well......but technically its not a lie, so you'll probably get off scott free.

So now that that is out of the way, lets walk through the events here:

Tuesday, 10:09 am Jlay wrote:
In regards to the dog(more specifically, canine). We have millions of case studies (mounds of evidence) that prove that dogs produce dogs, and not one case study that a dog has ever produced anything else. you might get big dogs, small dogs, brown dogs, black dogs. But you will always get dog (canine). Even when a virus mutates, guess what it mutates into. Drum roll.......A virus!

I directly responded by calling that an unreasonable standard. In otherwords, expecting Evolution to do in a couple of generations what the theory specifically claims (and is supported) takes 1000s of generations.

Wednesday, 7:28 am Jlay responded:
testable and observable is now unreasonable.
I directly responded:
Do you believe in God?
.................Oh......and we have to be able to observe something actually happen in order to reasonably believe it, yet we all believe in God.

This is where you jumped in.
Can you give me a mathematical proof that Abraham Lincoln uttered the words of the Gettysburg address? Can you give me a scientific proof 2+2=4? Can you give me a historical proof that the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second?

There are different kinds of facts, which is the reason that there are different disciplines, i.e., history, math, the sciences, and philosophy. (That is, a scientific fact is not a historical fact is not a mathematical fact is not a philosophical fact.) All evidences are testable, but to test something presupposes a tool to test it with, and not all tools must be laboratory tools. Historians have a very well defined set of tools. Mathematicians have a very well defined set of tools. Philosophers have a very well defined set of tools. So do scientists.

Because scientists deal with the physical universe that exists now, their tools must necessarily be physical tools that measure the universe as it is now. So "tests" deal with that which is now. The belief in God is not, ultimately, a scientific question. It is a philosophical question. Some may think that devalues the validity of the question, but in claiming as much, they only demonstrate their own ignorance of the nature of knowledge and proof............

Okay, so you start off by stating that different bits of knowledge can be attained through different methods. Your first paragraph makes a good and correct point........but missed the point I was making. It appears as though you cherry picked which part of the discussion you wanted to read to make your point.

The very last sentece is classic JAC3510, in which you attempt to belittle those who disagree with you as being inferior....in this case demonstrating ignorance. God cannot be prooven....not through science, not through history, not through philosophy. I don't wish to debate this with you. I've been there, done that, and have a project due in 10 days.

Continuing.......
Just because something does not fit under the heading of science does not mean it is not real knowledge. Again, I know George Washington was the first President of the United States, and that has nothing to do with chemistry, biology, or physics. It has everything to do with history. Likewise, I know God exists, and while some (not all, but some) of my evidence comes from the physical realm tested and discussed by chemists, biologists, and physicists, all arguments are, in the end, philosophical and use the tools of logic and philosophy (i.e., validity and soundness) to come to firm and accurate conclusions.

If you choose to devalue philosophy only, let me ask you one question:

Give me a scientific, historical, or mathematical proof that the scientific method is the best way to "do science?" Or, again, give me a scientific, historical, or mathematical proof as to the definition of science.

You can't, for those are not scientific, historical, or mathematical questions. They are philosophical questions. Yet surely you believe the scientific method is the best way to do science. And surely you yourself have a defintion of science. And surely if I were to disagree with you, you would have arguments as to why I was wrong in my disagreement (whether you chose to express them or not). If, then, philosophy cannot be a valid marker of knowledge, then your entire reliance on science is itself undermined, for it itself is based on philosophical commitments.

Though your grasp of the english language and ability to write are competent, I fail to see what point you are trying to make. What I got out of this was a few paragraphs of your support for philosophy, an argument against a case I never made, and an attempt to belittle opposing points of view. I'm starting to remember why I pretty much ignored this post.
jlay's point, then, stands vindicated.

Translation: "I rambled on for several paragraphs not really saying much and certainly not supporting my position. I'm pretty sure no one really understood what I was talking about, so I should add this little tag at the end."

Just sticking QED on the end of a proof doesn't make it valid.
....If anything claims to be scientific, it must be testable and observable, for that is the nature of the scientific method.....
Okay, now we are back on topic. *shew* all that and finaly we get to discuss what the issue was to begin with. If you have forgotten after reading through your version of War and Peace, Jlay made the claim that we needed to directly observe a dog create something that is not a dog in order to validate Evolution. (I'll go under the assumption that he'd accept any organism creat a different species in a single generation). When I responded that this was an "unreasonable standard" he then responded "being testable and observable is unreasonable?"

If you haven't been able to follow, he clearly misunderstands the nature of science and what they consider to be "testable and observable." ID, for example is not testable or observable. Neither is the existence of God, which is why neither are considered science. As far as scientists are concerned, Evolution IS. Jlay (and potentialy you) are confusing the concept with "directly witnessing the event." Most people on this forum agree that the Earth is billions of years old. Is that testable and obervable? According to Jlay's standard, it is not.

So I made the correlation to a belief in God, which is not testable or observable either. I think its only reasonable that if he holds scientists to an extreme standard that handicaps what science is capable of determining, in this case requiring *direct observation* as demonstrated in the bulk of what he has written, then shouldn't he hold his belief in God to the same stadard.

Or to simplify using your analogy......we know Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address through history (not science) but if Jlay was to apply teh same standard to the subject of history that he does to science, ie that it needs direct observation, then we could not reasonably state that Lincoln gave it because none of us saw it, historical evidence be damned.
......If it is not, then we are not obligated to believe it, any more than I am obligated to believe a historical claim with no historical proof, a mathematical claim with not mathematical proof, or a philosophical claim with no philosophical proof. Present testable and observed evidence, and you can begin to build a case. But each of your evidences, and the arguments that stem from them, must be valid and sound before you can continue. You cannot put together hundreds of bad arguments to produce one big good one. If you put together a progressive case for evolution that is based on scientific (read: testable and observable) arguments, and if each of those arguments are valid and sound (that is, the conclusion necessarily follows from the evidence and cannot be explained in other ways), then you will have gone a long way in your case. But if each of the arguments in your progressive case can be explained in other fashions, then you just have a collection of bad arguments. And bad arguments don't prove anything, my friend.

And here is where I can only assume that you are taking the side against Evolution which leads to the following exchange:

I wrote to Jlay:
Then how did evoultion get accepted as a scientific theory if it is so clearly not science?
Your response:
That's a dodge, thus the argument stands. If you can't refute it, you concede your error.
In classic JAC3510 fashion, you simply belittle points made that you have no case against. What we've had so far is a sad attempt by a theologian to refute the Theory of Evolution. You've given me no reason so far to believe that you are any kind of expert on the matter, nor have you made any convincing argument other than to pull out a definition from a dictionary and then claim that the Theory of Evolution doesn't fall under that definition.

Yet somehow it looks like science to me. Maybe I don't know what science is.......despite having a degree in it. Maybe my Ameircan University education has failed me. Perhaps had I received my degree in theology I would be better prepared to understand why the study of evolution fails under the rules of science. Maybe at the same time I would also understand why ID IS a viable field of study.

Oh won't deny that you are skilled in the art of debate. You and I can sit here and argue about whether or not teh study of Evolution is *real* science, but neither one of us is a scientist in that field. So I think it is a very peritinent question to ask you that if the theory is not scientific, then why is it that all of the academies of science on the planet accept it as one? C'mon, JAC3510.....from a guy as smart as you I would at the very least expect you to support your position. All you have managed to do so far is display your misunderstanding of the field. At least give me a baseless conspiracy theory....or *something.*

<watch this>

If you can't, then you'll have to conced the point.

:)

BTW, where's the emoticon for "oh snap!"
edit: besides that, barabus, you do understand that even IF I didn't refute your argument to jlay, it is still invalid in the first place. You are committing a logical fallacy called tu quoque. Fallacies make an argument invalid. Fallacious argument are, then, irrational. Thus, even if I didn't bother answering your question, your entire argument here is irrational.
For the readers at home:

-Tu Quoque is a very common fallacy in which one attempts to defend oneself or another from criticism by turning the critique back against the accuser. This is a classic Red Herring since whether the accuser is guilty of the same, or a similar, wrong is irrelevant to the truth of the original charge. However, as a diversionary tactic, Tu Quoque can be very effective, since the accuser is put on the defensive, and frequently feels compelled to defend against the accusation. -

Did you just figure you'd throw this in there to score some points. Maybe you should elaborate exaclty where this happened. As far as I can tell, it never happend. My best guess is, especially since this was in the post where you wrote this, you think this is a Tu Quoque fallacy:
Again I ask, why one standard for one belief and an entirely different standard for the other?
You are going to have to explain yourself, because to the best of my knowledge, that is not remotely a Tu Quoque fallacy. A Tu Quoque would have been if my own line of reasoning was questioned, and I turned around and told Jlay that he did the same thing. ie, I would have written:

"How can you question MY standard for MY belief when you do the same thing"

But that's not what I asked. I asked him why his own belief system was inconsistent. It wasn't meant to prove that either belief system was correct or incorrect. I was merely questioning how he manage to pick and choose which beliefs require a high degree of scrutiny and skepticism and others a low degree. I'll admit that BOTH of his lines of reasoning may be faulty.
.....Fallacies make an argument invalid. Fallacious argument are, then, irrational. Thus, even if I didn't bother answering your question, your entire argument here is irrational.
And this is called the strawman argument. Perhaps you are familiar with that as well? Any other arguments I didn't make that you'd like to refute with some flowery language? Maybe a line of reasoning that I'm not using that you'd like to spend 4 or 5 paragraphs on why its invalid......only to cap it off with something like, "So, as it stands, your line of reasoning is invalid. You are irrational."

JAC3510, this is about all I really have time for. This is exactly why I didn't engage you in the first place. I have to spend pages and pages and pages refuting your bad arguments one at a time. You typically respond with more of the same. Its just not worth it. I don't have the time nor do I really care. You seem to get off on bumping around from forum to forum engaging people in this way. Have you not landed a preacher gig yet?

So amongst all of the babble, the ranting, the tactical gymnastics, the strawmen, the misaplication of logical fallacies, and the flowery language, I'll leave you with one simple point:

JAC3510, who has no formal training in the sciences, thinks that the academies of science don't know what science is.
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Oh please. Tell you what. Since I'm just a theologian who doesn't understand science (despite my proof to the contrary), let me quote someone who answers this question themself who DOES understand science and Darwinism:

The present lack of a definitely accept account of the origin f life should certainly not be taken as a stumbling block for the whole Darwinian world view (166)

But, of course, I don't expect you to respond to any points in this, as you've not responded to anything else. And if we've ever spoken on other forums and I left anything of yours unaswered, it was for the same reason that I am now going to leave any of your other "arguments" (read: fallacies) unanswered: You are a preacher of your faith, no more. What further benefit is there for me, or anyone, to continue to listen to your proclamations?

I wish you all the best, but forgive me if I see no reason to continue a conversation with someone more interested in preaching than dialogue.

God bless
You still didn't answer my question. My question had nothing to do with Richard Dawkin's personal philosophy which he may or may not use Evolution (or abiogenesis) to support. My question is specifically about the Theory of Evolution. Why is it that thet theorym which you claim is not science, is accpeted by the academies of science.

Can I draw a conclusion by your continual dodge?

As for any worldview that someone may use evolution to support, it does not matter if it is correct of incorrect or whether it is philosphical, scientific, mathematical, or historical.......it has nothing to do whatsoever with the Theory itself. The theory is either valid or invalid despite what people use that information for.

Your argument reminds me of the last 30 minutes of Expelled where the case was made that Darwinism lead to the application of Eugenics in Nazi Germany. A) it did not, but more appropriately B) that has no more bearing on the validity of the theory than dropping a bomb on Hiroshima has on nuclear physics (well....at least I should state that the danger of killing people doesn't mean that nuclear physics must be wrong).

Nevetheless, thanks for posting as your response displays the same irrational fear of knowledge that I have seen among many other religious zealots. Yes, understanding the Theory of Evolution *could* lead someone to a Godless world view. I personaly think Jesus will forgive, but if they be damned to hell for their loss of faith, it would be falacious reasoning to say that those consequences should make you conclude that it musn't be science.
waynepii
Valued Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

Gman wrote:
waynepii wrote:The Big Bang is the current model for the very beginnings of the universe and deals ONLY with the beginnings of the universe. The Big Bang is predicted by General Relativity. Several of relalativity's other predictions have been verified by observation, but obviously the Big Bang has not. I believe the Big Bang is still a hypothesis.
I do to.. Only that God did it. When you say that it only happens naturally without any intelligent deisgner, then we are going to have conflict.
I assume you mean you would have a problem if someone taught the Big Bang as fact(?) Or do really have a problem if anyone has an opinion differing from yours?
waynepii wrote:Abiogenesis deals ONLY with origin of life and it currently has several different models, but none of them is accepted by a preponderance of the scientific community (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Current_models). Abiogenesis is clearly also a hypotheses.
Scientists can't prove it.. That is true. But they also believe they only have one explanation for it and the explanation does NOT include an intelligent designer. That is where we clash...

So if you say that scientists can't prove it, that is good... I want my beliefs taught on this a well then...
Your beliefs can't be taught in public schools as they are based on your religion. I doubt that the origin of the universe or of life are addressed in public schools except possibly an overview of the various hypotheses.
waynepii wrote:Evolution is the scientific theory explaining how organisms adapt genetically to their environment. It includes both small changes to a species and development of new species right on up to a new kingdom (although a new kingdom hasn't happened in a very long time). Like any scientific theory, it is constantly being reevaluated in light of any new evidence (DNA sequencing for example) and its predictions being evaluated. It has and will be revised as new evidence becomes available. That is not to say a scientific theory it is dynamic or fluid. Only that it will change if warranted. A scientific theory is not a dogma or belief system. This article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_ ... y_and_fact) discusses the meaning of a "theory" (not that I expect it to do any good).
Darwinian evolution is the idea that concerns us.. Our origin.. So it stands out from other scientific beliefs.. It's about our literal existence.

Yet again, evolution addresses neither the origin of the universe nor the origin of life.
waynepii wrote:Each of these three terms and concepts are completely independent of one another. We know matter and life both exist and that life evolves. Whether the universe started with a Big Bang, a divine "poof", or has always existed has no bearing on how life came about, nor on how it changes and adapts over time. None of the three possible origins of the universe listed (Big Bang, divine intervention, or eternal), nor any other hypothesis, has any impact on the origin of life. (if the universe came about by divine intervention, it becomes almost certain that life originated in the same way - why would God have created the universe then stopped there?) But, regardless of how the universe came about, life might or might not not have resulted (clearly it did, obviously).
You are missing the point... Yes, we may have "beliefs" on how the Big Bang started, but when you start saying that it could have started naturally without an intelligent designer, then again, we are going to have problems...
Same question as above, do you really mean you have a problem if someone says "it could have started naturally without an intelligent designer"?
waynepii wrote:AFAIK There is neither "microevolution", "macroevolution", nor Darwinian evolution", just evolution. Evolution is observable for small changes (adaption), but larger changes are not usually observable because they take place over extremely long time frames. But, there IS plenty of evidence for large changes, just as there is plenty of evidence for plate tectonics (another process that takes place over very long time frames, making direct observation difficult to impossible). The "Evolution as Fact and Theory" article (linked above) also discuss some of the evidence). More recent discoveries in other fields (esp genetic sequencing) correlate extremely well with evolutionary theory, and provide strong evidence for a very small set of ancestors
Baloney... They are separate. We may have some small info for micro evolution, but nothing on the macro. Where is the evidence? What facts are we talking about here?
What about the similarity in body plan between almost all land-dwelling vertebrates (head, two eyes, two ears, one mouth, 4 limbs, tail)? Vestigial forms of structures no longer needed (ie vestigial hind limbs in marine mammals, vestigial tail on humans, ... ). The fact that all life uses the same DNA? There are many more if you care to look (which I doubt).
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Sorry that don't play. Try introducing intelligent design as a mere hypothesis into the education system and see what happens.

Here is what I see on the macroevolution.

When someone demands evidence on macroevolution, we are told there is a moutain of evidence. When examples are requested we are provided numerous examples of microevolution, and then told that given enough time macroevolution will result.

What is the single most positive example of observable macroevolution?
Why is it that thet theorym which you claim is not science, is accpeted by the academies of science.
The credentials of truth are not established by popularity. How was Hitler able to convince an entire nation that Jews were not human and use the scientific community to perpetuate this atrocity.

Scientists are not holy men. They are not above human emotions or possesing beliefs, even dogmatic beliefs. This is the attitude that positions Darwinian evolution as being at the top of some sacred mountain. And that it is somehow blasphemy to call into question, or request evidence for its claims. This has been accomplished not by scientific method but by ideological thinking and outright snobbery.

Barabus, by even making this claim you are exhibiting the very thing you claim to be denying.

I can post hundreds of quotes from within this elitist society that demostrates, that although science at large does hold evolution to be viable, there are doubts and disbelief within this said group. Just one example, "Biochemist Franklin Harold stated in a 2001 Oxford University Press monograph that "there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical or cellular system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
What about the similarity in body plan between almost all land-dwelling vertebrates (head, two eyes, two ears, one mouth, 4 limbs, tail)? Vestigial forms of structures no longer needed (ie vestigial hind limbs in marine mammals, vestigial tail on humans, ... ). The fact that all life uses the same DNA?
What about the similarity in body plan between almost all automobiles. (4 wheels, headlights, sideview mirrors, one steering wheel, trunk)? The fact that all autos use the same materials?
Surely this is evidence that a Ferrari and a Focus evolved from a common ancestor.

As I just demonstrated. This is proof of reading your philosophical ideology into the evidence.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

jlay wrote:
Sorry that don't play. Try introducing intelligent design as a mere hypothesis into the education system and see what happens.
It is important to note that characterizing something as scientific is not synonymous with being taught in public schools.
Without supporting evidence I doubt that just any theory will be taught in schools as a scientific theory.
For example Einsteins general relativity was not taught in high schools prior to the eclipse which provided proof for his theory. And even years afterwards untill more precice measurements confirmed that gravitational lensing was indeed occurring.

The latest ideas and theories dont generally make it into the public education system at the high school level.
jlay wrote:What about the similarity in body plan between almost all automobiles. (4 wheels, headlights, sideview mirrors, one steering wheel, trunk)? The fact that all autos use the same materials?
Surely this is evidence that a Ferrari and a Focus evolved from a common ancestor.

As I just demonstrated. This is proof of reading your philosophical ideology into the evidence.
Automobiles cannot reproduce on their own, and obviously because of the method for "reproduction" they have more freedom in terms of horizontal transfer of traits.
However the design of the car itself is what we should be focusing on.

Careful analysis of the history of the automobile shows that the design for automobiles has indeed evolved over time.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Barabus
Familiar Member

Post by Barabus »

Same question as above, do you really mean you have a problem if someone says "it could have started naturally without an intelligent designer"?

You and I are on the same side of the issue here, but I just want to make a distinction. Mentioning that life starting with out an intelligent designer is one possible view that people hold shouldn't be a problem. Teaching that it, in fact, is possible.......IOW, asserting that you can back up a claim that you know that life can exist without God's intervention, would be disengenuous and irresponsible.

This goes back to clearly stating the difference between a hypothesis, a theory, and a fact.