Official Sports Thread

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Delay
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes

Official Sports Thread

Post by Delay »

Hey guys, I would love to make this the official sports thread of this forum.

Any and every sport is welcomed to be discussed about in here. Although I can only relate mostly to NHL and NFL. I will also discuss about disc golf, soccer, basketball, and baseball.

So, to get things started, being that I live in SoCal, how about them Lakers?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Official Sports Thread

Post by cslewislover »

:D I'm not into sports, so I probably won't be posting here. But I have started playing tennis, which is great. Hockey is really cool, except for the fights! Do you ever go to the USC games at Disney Ice? It's really close to where I live - I can walk there. Maybe Bav likes the Lakers.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I do like sprts, although I sound like a total idiot when I am watching them . They are fun to watch but I am so clueless about the amazing amount of regulations and rules that I get frustrated when something happens (fouls, etc) and I don't know why. I love going to the school games and will cheer but I frequently don;t understand (beynd scoring, of course) why we might be cheering a particular decision by a referee. :esurprised: :ebiggrin: I love to play volleyball and probably love watching football the most.

I think that ability to absorb the amazing amount of sports trivia and strategies might be part of the Y chromosome :ebiggrin:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by BavarianWheels »

cslewislover wrote::D I'm not into sports, so I probably won't be posting here. But I have started playing tennis, which is great. Hockey is really cool, except for the fights! Do you ever go to the USC games at Disney Ice? It's really close to where I live - I can walk there. Maybe Bav likes the Lakers.
I used to like the Lakers back when Shaq was still around. Now the Kobe one-man show is not so interesting to me. Still root for the team, but could do without Kobe.

I like hockey too...specifically for the ability to "fight" without being thrown from the game...just a penalty. Fast action, many turnovers...
Zebulon
Valued Member

Post by Zebulon »

Hi Delay, and welcome!
I am not of the sport TV fan either but I do watch Hockey in the Finals when Canadians get to make it... and if I have the time. I dont either like the violence in it. My favorite sport is Road bycicling with my wife and Tennis...
cslewislover wrote:But I have started playing tennis, which is great.
In my case I dont play Tennis but it is the only sport that I like to watch on TV, specially the Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US Open masters.

Cheers.

Victor
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

BavarianWheels wrote:
cslewislover wrote::D I'm not into sports, so I probably won't be posting here. But I have started playing tennis, which is great. Hockey is really cool, except for the fights! Do you ever go to the USC games at Disney Ice? It's really close to where I live - I can walk there. Maybe Bav likes the Lakers.
I used to like the Lakers back when Shaq was still around. Now the Kobe one-man show is not so interesting to me. Still root for the team, but could do without Kobe.

I like hockey too...specifically for the ability to "fight" without being thrown from the game...just a penalty. Fast action, many turnovers...
Lol. The USC games I've seen, which haven't been many, involved fights. And the players got taken out of the game (but maybe it was after like the third penalty or something, lol). I think fighting can be fun, in its place, but I hated for the kids to see it. It's considered unsportmanlike in any other sport that's not boxing, wrestling, etc., so I don't like the fighting because of that ideal. Um . . . y/:)2 y:p But I like hockey for the fast action too; I think it's so amazing how those guys skate. BTW, delay, that's a nice signature image.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Delay
Acquainted Member

Post by Delay »

Well you have the most posts so far in here lol :P. I play tennis frequently with my gf, we are both horrible, but we enjoy just getting out and attempting to play together haha. She really does it mainly just for me, because I love sports and being active, and she does not so much.

And no, I do not go to the USC games, I hate USC. I go to my school's ice hockey games (Cal State Fullerton). Our season just ended, we do pretty good, Long Beach is also very good. Our last game of the season we played UCLA, destroyed them 9-3.
zoegirl wrote:I do like sprts, although I sound like a total idiot when I am watching them . They are fun to watch but I am so clueless about the amazing amount of regulations and rules that I get frustrated when something happens (fouls, etc) and I don't know why. I love going to the school games and will cheer but I frequently don;t understand (beynd scoring, of course) why we might be cheering a particular decision by a referee. :esurprised: :ebiggrin: I love to play volleyball and probably love watching football the most. I think that ability to absorb the amazing amount of sports trivia and strategies might be part of the Y chromosome :ebiggrin:
Hahaha, well my mom got me into sports, she is the biggest sports fan ever! We practically have a Brett Favre shrine at our house, it is ridiculous. And her and my dad both also love to watch football and hockey with me. Being from SoCal, there NHL team is solely the Ducks, but I have a top 5 I like to follow. Although I mainly follow players rather than teams.
BavarianWheels wrote:I used to like the Lakers back when Shaq was still around. Now the Kobe one-man show is not so interesting to me. Still root for the team, but could do without Kobe. I like hockey too...specifically for the ability to "fight" without being thrown from the game...just a penalty. Fast action, many turnovers...
Whaaaaaaaat? I love Kobe, he is amaing to watch, he is soooo good. But yeah, back when they won 3 in a row, man... Those were the days.
Zebulon wrote:I am not of the sport TV fan either but I do watch Hockey in the Finals when Canadians get to make it...
Lol, Canadiens are not looking to hot as of late, and good luck getting by Boston or Washington the first round :P. Schneider and Markov being out rest of the season does not help at all either. I would say looks pretty dim...
cslewislover wrote:Lol. The USC games I've seen, which haven't been many, involved fights. And the players got taken out of the game (but maybe it was after like the third penalty or something, lol). I think fighting can be fun, in its place, but I hated for the kids to see it. It's considered unsportmanlike in any other sport that's not boxing, wrestling, etc., so I don't like the fighting because of that ideal. Um... But I like hockey for the fast action too; I think it's so amazing how those guys skate. BTW, delay, that's a nice signature image.
Yes, hockey is insanely fun game to play and watch. Thank you for the sig props, I had it made for me at my other forum that you could know about if you read my post in the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread. :)
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Delay wrote: Well you have the most posts so far in here lol :P.
:lol:
I play tennis frequently with my gf, we are both horrible, but we enjoy just getting out and attempting to play together haha. She really does it mainly just for me, because I love sports and being active, and she does not so much.

And no, I do not go to the USC games, I hate USC. I go to my school's ice hockey games (Cal State Fullerton). Our season just ended, we do pretty good, Long Beach is also very good. Our last game of the season we played UCLA, destroyed them 9-3.
!!! You go to Fullerton? You could take tennis there, perhaps. Fullerton College has courts and classes, but I haven't taken any there. If you want to get together and practice (you could bring your girlfriend, I could bring my son, who is also taking lessons - though it's slow going with him :o ), let me know! There are free courts, too, at a park in Fullerton, off of Commonwealth, although I haven't checked those out yet.

So, do those teams play at Disney Ice? I just never paid attention.

Hahaha, well my mom got me into sports, she is the biggest sports fan ever! We practically have a Brett Favre shrine at our house, it is ridiculous.
:lol: Random: Do you listen to the Fish radio station?
Yes, hockey is insanely fun game to play and watch. Thank you for the sig props, I had it made for me at my other forum that you could know about if you read my post in the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread. :)
Cool. Yes, I saw your other posts. :esmile:
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Delay wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:I used to like the Lakers back when Shaq was still around. Now the Kobe one-man show is not so interesting to me. Still root for the team, but could do without Kobe. I like hockey too...specifically for the ability to "fight" without being thrown from the game...just a penalty. Fast action, many turnovers...
Whaaaaaaaat? I love Kobe, he is amaing to watch, he is soooo good. But yeah, back when they won 3 in a row, man... Those were the days.
I agree with you, he's an amazing player...just one of the more childish players in NBA history.
Delay
Acquainted Member

Post by Delay »

cslewislover wrote:!!! You go to Fullerton? You could take tennis there, perhaps. Fullerton College has courts and classes, but I haven't taken any there. If you want to get together and practice (you could bring your girlfriend, I could bring my son, who is also taking lessons - though it's slow going with him :o ), let me know! There are free courts, too, at a park in Fullerton, off of Commonwealth, although I haven't checked those out yet.

Yeah I will let you know, that would be really fun, and no, I never knew about those courts. I have a few free courts literally like a minute away from where I live in HB, so we usually just play there.

So, do those teams play at Disney Ice? I just never paid attention.
No, CSUF plays at Anaheim Ice, where the Ducks have there training camps.
Do you listen to the Fish radio station?[/color]
I usually use my iPod, but yeah, every once in a while I tune into the Fish, why?
Cool. Yes, I saw your other posts. :esmile:
Then you are set lol.
BavarianWheels wrote:I agree with you, he's an amazing player...just one of the more childish players in NBA history.
Yeah, I know what you mean. NBA seems so "thuggish" now, am I the only one who feels that way?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Delay wrote:Yeah I will let you know, that would be really fun, and no, I never knew about those courts. I have a few free courts literally like a minute away from where I live in HB, so we usually just play there.
That's nice if you can use them! There are courts within a couple of minutes of me, too, but it's hard to actually get to use them. If I go during the week in the morning with my son, I normally can get one.
No, CSUF plays at Anaheim Ice, where the Ducks have there training camps.
Oh, that's the same one. It used to be Disney Ice, but Disney sold it to Anaheim. I just didn't remember what the name was. Duh.
I usually use my iPod, but yeah, every once in a while I tune into the Fish, why?
I just wondered if you knew about it. Pretty neat station, although I actually am not into hearing Jon Tesh so much at night.

Thanks
Delay
Acquainted Member

Post by Delay »

cslewislover wrote:
That's nice if you can use them! There are courts within a couple of minutes of me, too, but it's hard to actually get to use them. If I go during the week in the morning with my son, I normally can get one.
That is a bummer, the ones by my house are always almost open.
Oh, that's the same one. It used to be Disney Ice, but Disney sold it to Anaheim. I just didn't remember what the name was. Duh.
Oh, interesting, then yeah that is where they play lol.
I just wondered if you knew about it. Pretty neat station, although I actually am not into hearing Jon Tesh so much at night.

Yeah, I am not quite as big a fan of Jon Tesh as one might think. I actually think the Fish has good intentions and I do enjoy listening to them. I personally just feel like they are too much of a "feel good" station.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

If we are talking about sports... I'm a HUGE Boise State University Bronco football fan where I attended my college years back in the 80's. And we all know what they did to the Sooners at the 2007 Fiesta bowl...

Go Broncos!!!
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Delay
Acquainted Member

Post by Delay »

I do not understand the college football ranking system. It all seems so confusing and tedious. Why do they not just do it like the NFL? Instead of having a bunch of bowls, just have one big one. That would make more sense, right?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Delay wrote:I do not understand the college football ranking system. It all seems so confusing and tedious. Why do they not just do it like the NFL? Instead of having a bunch of bowls, just have one big one. That would make more sense, right?
I would agree with this although the BCS does have one climatic "championship bowl" of all the 5 bowls. The problem is the smaller guys like BSU can't get into them, so yes, in that respect it is rigged.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8