Implications of Alien Life

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

j316 wrote:One could certainly make a case for aliens based on the "many mansions" quote by the Lord, and many people have done so. I do not find such arguments convincing because it could just as well relate to us as to aliens.

What I see as more convincing is the account in Genesis that explains the origin of our reality and ourselves, it would be remarkable if God simply failed to tell us that He had done it all before, that we are not the highest expression of life in this universe, the image of Him. I have a problem seeing God as the creature in Alien or stepping out of a ufo.

I am not debunking anyones beliefs and mean no offense but I don't see much evidence in either the so-called real world or the bible to support a belief in aliens. I think it may be a manifestatation of a basic human need for a savior.
God is not obliged to tell you or anybody else anything. He didn't "fail to tell us". If He didn't tell us about dinosaurs, why would He bother to tell us about creatures on other planets? It would only confuse the people of that time.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

God is not obliged to tell you or anybody else anything. He didn't "fail to tell us". If He didn't tell us about dinosaurs, why would He bother to tell us about creatures on other planets? It would only confuse the people of that time
God did talk about dinosaurs. Where? Genesis, where He created all the animals and plants, and in Job. Look up where the verses are talking about the animal that cannot be domesticated, thinks it can drink up the Jordan (I think that's the river), and swings its tail like a cedar tree....there are more details on the dinosaur/dragon (depending on time period).
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
God is not obliged to tell you or anybody else anything. He didn't "fail to tell us". If He didn't tell us about dinosaurs, why would He bother to tell us about creatures on other planets? It would only confuse the people of that time
God did talk about dinosaurs. Where? Genesis, where He created all the animals and plants, and in Job. Look up where the verses are talking about the animal that cannot be domesticated, thinks it can drink up the Jordan (I think that's the river), and swings its tail like a cedar tree....there are more details on the dinosaur/dragon (depending on time period).
Somebody cough up those Job dinosaur pics. And there is no mention of them in Genesis.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I was trying to be humorous when referring to Genesis-that's where God says how and in what order He created everything....

Job 40:

15 "Behold now, Behemoth, F444 which I R1108 made as F445 well as you; He eats grass like an ox. 16 "Behold now, his strength in his loins And his power in the muscles of his belly. 17 "He bends his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are knit together. 18 "His bones are tubes of bronze; His limbs F446 are like bars of iron. 19 "He is the first R1109 of the ways of God; Let his maker R1110 bring near his sword. 20 "Surely the mountains bring R1111 him food, And all the beasts of the field play R1112 there. 21 "Under the lotus plants he lies down, In the covert of the reeds and the marsh. 22 "The lotus plants cover him with shade; F447 The willows of the brook surround him. 23 "If a river rages, F448 he is not alarmed; He is confident, though the Jordan R1113 rushes to his mouth. 24 "Can anyone capture him when F449 he is on watch, With barbs F450 can anyone pierce {his} nose?

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

How about you post every single verse that refers to it. Including the shooting lasers from its eyes part, as well as the next chapter in which it is made crystal clear that it's a metaphor.
j316
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by j316 »

mastermind, what makes you so certain that dinosaurs are real?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Their bones.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

This is, I presume a result of your personal inspection and analysis?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

To an extent, yes.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

What might this extent you refer to be? I am not being flippant, i am curious what you regard as evidence for what you will believe in.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Mastermind wrote:How about you post every single verse that refers to it. Including the shooting lasers from its eyes part, as well as the next chapter in which it is made crystal clear that it's a metaphor.
Mastermind, why must you imitate the animal Jesus rode into Jerusalem upon?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

j316 wrote:What might this extent you refer to be? I am not being flippant, i am curious what you regard as evidence for what you will believe in.
Well, I have seen the bones myself, and as far as I can tell, they are actual bones.

Usually, if something is widely acceptable and the level of fraud commited in the field is low to non existant, i see no reason not to accept it. Atheists usually falsify hominid fossils so i think we're ok in that regard.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

The point I am making is knowing what you affirm, at least insofar as it is practicable. I myself have accepted the existence of dinosaurs ever since viewing the famous T-Rex et al in NYC in the mid 50's. But I can also accept that there might be at least one alternative explanation.

It is difficult to know exactly what is real or unreal, and even if it is real whether or not it is good or evil. To minimize the only handbook we have, given to us by one who loves us, is risky at best and foolish at worst.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Where did I "minimize" the bible?
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

There is no need for anyone to take offense, there is nothing pejorative in what I say. The point I am trying to make is that it is very necessary to test your experience, don't just accept whatever is thrown at you. There are always alternative explanations for everything, granted that they don't always make sense, but you need to decide that based on the book that you claim to affirm, not on the evidence of those who will believe anything.