help Luke 9:27

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
302mustang
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

help Luke 9:27

Post by 302mustang »

Luke 9:27 KJV

But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Question: I have been stuck on this passage for some time. I have some of my own revelations as to its meaning, but was looking for additional insight. I prefer the KJV, but i have studied it in just about all other versions.

Could this be talking to his diciples that were currently standing there listening to Jesus? or is this talking about a rapture?

I have my take on John possibly still being alive today, sounds fictional, but the God i believe in nothing is impossible. Really looking for opionions.

Thanks,
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: help Luke 9:27

Post by Jac3510 »

That was fulfilled six days later at the Transfiguration (made explicit by Matthew and Mark; Luke says "About eight"). Look at the very next verse:

"And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray."

As far as the idea that John is still alive, he refuted that idea himself in John 21:23.

Finally, for full disclosure, there are those Christians who believe that Jesus was speaking of AD 70. They are called preterists and believe that all the prophecies of the NT have already come to pass. Some, unable to accept that, say that everything except the Second Coming has already happened (they are called partial-preterists). I have my own problems with that position, but you asked for other views, I'm providing.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Jac is right on the money.

This is mentioned in three of the gospels, and each immediately preceeds the transfiguration account where Peter sees Jesus in His glory.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
302mustang
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by 302mustang »

This helps a lot. Thanks guys.