Witnessing Examples

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Witnessing Examples

Post by cslewislover »

A Conversation with Muslims [or, God's love story]
by Erwin McManus*

On a visit to the Middle east, I was invited to speak to a group of Muslims about Christianity. I had been describing my own disappointments with the religion of Christianity, and they all quickly agreed that there were deep problems and inconsistencies between beliefs and practices.

But eventually they wanted to know what exactly was the meaning behind the coming of Jesus. Somewhat apprehensively, I began my best efforts to translate back into a Middle Eastern context the story of Jesus (after all, this was Jesus' home turf) and, more specifically, why it would be necessary for God to become human. This, from my vantage point, was the story of God. It's a love story, by the way.

“I once met a girl named Kim.”

My translator stopped translating and just looked at me. I encouraged him to simply translate.

“I once met a girl named Kim, and I fell in love.”

I continued, “I pursued her with my love and pursued her with my love until I felt my love had captured her heart. So I asked her to be my wife, and she did not say yes.” I could feel their empathy.

“I was unrelenting and asked her again, pursuing her with my love, and I pursued her with my love until she said yes.”

There was huge relief throughout the entire room.

I went on, “I did not send my brother, nor did I send a friend. For in issues of love, you must go yourself.”

“This is the story of Jesus, that God has walked among us and he pursues us with his love. He is very familiar with rejection but is undeterred. And he is here even now, still pursuing you with his love.”

The images we often receive of Muslims are angry, hostile, and violent. In this moment I knew there was something transcendent that connected all of our hearts and souls together. The belief that was supposed to divide us strangely united us. Every human being longs for love. The possibility that God is love is an almost overwhelming prospect.

In that moment the story of Jesus was not about who is right and who is wrong, what God's name is and who his prophet is, but what exactly is God's motivation toward humanity. If the message that God wants to get across to us is just about getting our beliefs right, then he didn't need to come himself. If God's entire intent was to simply overwhelm us with the miraculous so that we would finally believe, no personal visitation was necessary.

There is only one reason for God to come himself, because in issues of love, you just can't have someone else stand in for you.

When it comes to love, it has to be face-to-face. Love cannot exist where there is only distance. Love can survive distance, but only by the strength of what comes through intimacy.

Like Solomon's lover, God is going up and down the streets of the city, traveling the most obscure paths and untamed wilderness, searching for the one he loves--and that one is you and it's me.

Religion exists not because God loves too little but because we need love so much. We've been told that God is a reluctant lover and that his standards must be met before there can be any talk of love. This is lunacy. Love exists because God is love. Our souls will never find satisfaction until our hearts have found this love that we so desperately yearn for.

God is not passive, for love is never passive, but always passionate; and passion always leads to action.

* From A Faith and Culture Devotional: Daily Readings in Art, Science, and Life (KM Kullberg and L Arrington, ed.s, Zondervan 2008, pp 38-39).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Re: Witnessing Examples

Post by Cross.eyed »

Very Good!
Thank You!
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Sharna
Acquainted Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sharna »

Incredible story! Thanks for sharing.

Actually, someone at my church just got back from Saudi Arabia. They had an interesting story as well. As you know, Christianity is against the law, and is punishable by death. This guy (sorry, I forgot his name :oops: ) had a backpack and was handing out Bibles to people in the villages. One day while he was walking, an army truck (Saudi government, not US) pulled up beside him. He was asked to show the contents of his bag to the man in the truck, and upon seeing the Bibles, the official gruffly told him to get in the truck.
After driving for a little while, they arrived at the military camp/base. he was asked to step out of the truck, and stood in front of all the men at the camp. Expecting to be killed, he started praying to God for mercy on these mens' souls.
After praying, he looked up and was shocked at what he saw. The men were passing around the Bibles to each other!

They thanked him for coming and set him back on his way. Is this an incredible story or what? :amen:
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by For_Narniaaa »

Sharna wrote:Incredible story! Thanks for sharing.

Actually, someone at my church just got back from Saudi Arabia. They had an interesting story as well. As you know, Christianity is against the law, and is punishable by death. This guy (sorry, I forgot his name :oops: ) had a backpack and was handing out Bibles to people in the villages. One day while he was walking, an army truck (Saudi government, not US) pulled up beside him. He was asked to show the contents of his bag to the man in the truck, and upon seeing the Bibles, the official gruffly told him to get in the truck.
After driving for a little while, they arrived at the military camp/base. he was asked to step out of the truck, and stood in front of all the men at the camp. Expecting to be killed, he started praying to God for mercy on these mens' souls.
After praying, he looked up and was shocked at what he saw. The men were passing around the Bibles to each other!

They thanked him for coming and set him back on his way. Is this an incredible story or what? :amen:
:esurprised: I did not expect that ending! Amazing!

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com