Questions on God's creation days

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
erawdrah
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Questions on God's creation days

Post by erawdrah »

Gman wrote:
erawdrah wrote:It doesn't. I was just pointing out where I got 45,000 years instead of 60,000 years that you stated. But Libby did prove the world was less than 10,000 years old. He threw the data out because it didn't fit his presupposed idea. See next for that proof.
Then why did you post a Wikipedia article that extended its usefulness to 45,000/60,000 years into the past?
To prove my next point of equilibrium and to show that if a fossil has been dated to 65 millions years in the past then there should not be any measurable C14 left in the system. So if we find C14 in them, then K-Ar must be in error since the amount of C14 should be so small we couldn't measure it.
erawdrah wrote:Libby proved the earth was less than 10,000 years old by C14 equilibrium. He called it an error because it didn't fit the idea that the earth was millions of years old. The saturation of C14 in the atmosphere is less than 10,000 years worth. In other words, the earth can't be older than 10,000 years. This would mean the earth has to be less than 10,000 years old. Definitely not old enough for dinosaurs to live 65 million years ago, but that the earth was less than 10,000. http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sci ... active.htm
But knowing both the half-life of a radioactive isotope and the ratio of radioactive to stable isotope in a fossil enables us to tell the age of the fossil. As I said, Carbon -14 is useful for dating relatively young fossils (up to about 60,000 years old according to your Wikipedia source), not older ones. Radioactive isotopes with longer half lives are used to date older fossils. There are indirect ways to estimate the age of much older fossils. For example, potassium-40, with a half-life of 1.3 billion years, can be used to date volcanic rocks hundreds of millions of years old. A fossil's age can be inferred from the ages of the rock layers above and below the strata in which the fossil is found. By dating rocks and fossils, scientists have established a geologic record of Earth's history. Estimate the age of a fossil found in a sedimentary rock layer between two layers of volcanic rock that are determined to be 530 and 520 million years old. This is essentially how you are going to get your older dates.
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/dating.html Next check out http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/ While these guys do not believe creation nor in God they have brought some very interesting evidence. They says humans were here 2 billion years ago. How can this be? Human remains found in strata that was billions of years old? While I don't believe the earth has been here 2 billion years, they do bring up the suppression of evidence. When science can explain how a piece of marble with raised letters on it was found in strata that "dates" back to 500-600 million years ago or how a metallic sphere from South Africa with three parallel grooves around its equator. The sphere was found in a Precambrian mineral deposit, "said" to be 2.8 billion years old., I will consider the dates in the Geological Column. Until that time the column is invalid, radiometric doesn't have much to stand on either.
erawdrah wrote:I never said it was physical instead of spiritual. If you look you'll see that I quoted scripture for both. What is spiritual death and what is physical death? Is not spiritual death separation from God? God removed them from the garden after they sinned.
So you are admitting it is both physical and spiritual? Also I noticed you didn't included the animal kingdom being affected here as well..
Of course sin brought in spiritual death and physical death. Death was brought into the world by sin, before that there was no death.
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Animals and all of creation have been affected by man's sin.
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=art ... iew&ID=295
erawdrah wrote:They were separated. Then God says in Gen 3:19 that now they will return to the dust (physical death) I agree that Adam was the care taker of the garden and I don't believe that meant extremely hard work. But after they sinned the ground was cursed by God. How was it cursed you may ask. Genesis 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee Why was the ground cursed? For man's sake, is this to remind man of his fall or is it to keep man busy working?
So you don't think that stewardship (working the land) was busy work before the fall? How so? If God is going to start creating thorns and thistles, then his work of creating plants on day 3 was not finished.. This would be a contradiction of scripture. Also the Hebrew word "adamah" is not most commonly translated "ground," the most common translation is the word "land." More on that here..

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/genesis3.html
"The curse revisited

Let's get back to the curse. The curse of the ground is three-fold:

1. "In toil you shall eat of it"
2. "Both thorns and thistles it shall grow"
3. "you shall eat the plants of the field"

The first point is pretty obvious. Adam was going to have to plant his own crops (instead of eating what God had already planted) and work a lot harder than he had been. The second point is that the weeds were going to grow a lot more. Quite significantly, the text does not say that God created the weeds - only that they would grow. The text says that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden4 into the real world of weeds and untended land (land that was in need of being "subdued"5). The whole key to the curse is the third part. Adam was going to have to work the fields (i.e., crops) and could no longer just go up to a tree and grab some "fast food." The curse for Adam was being kicked out of the garden into the real world.
Conclusion Top of page

If we use the most common translation for adamah, it reads like this, "Cursed is the land because of you; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life." In other words, the land of the garden of Eden was no longer under the protection of God, but the land would revert to its wild, unsubdued state like the rest of the land around the garden. Therefore, the curse of the "ground" was, more likely, a curse directed against Adam for his transgression against God's rules."

This is from your article. Let's look at this closely. The first line says that Adam would have to work harder then he did in the garden of Eden. Humm.. That's what I said. Second, weeds? Weeds are plants not wanted in a certain place. Sometimes flowers are weeds, and some weeds are flowers. It depends on the person looking at them. The Bible says thorns and thistles. I believe that means he made the plants to grow thorns and thistles where they hadn't grown before. Then again Richard Deem says Adam didn't have to work very hard in the garden of Eden. In his conclusion, he states that the garden of Eden would no longer be under that protection of God, but the land woud revert to its wild, unsubdued state like the rest of the land around the garden. So do you think this means that there were thorns and thistles and lions eating sheep already outside of the garden of Eden? Or where they in the garden too? And you also think that when the Bible says in Gen 1:29-30 then man ate the sheep which ate the herbs, therefore the we did eat the herbs. Gen 9:3-4 Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them? Why would God say his creation was "good" if there was death in the world? Death is brought by sin, so was there sin in the garden?
erawdrah wrote:I'm saying if I were going to load an ark with animals why would I take a 60' brachiosaurus adult? I would take the small ones, just make sure you have a male and female. How fast did dinosaurs grow? Do you think the brachiosaurus grew to 60' in months, years, centuries? Young creatures would have a better chance of survival and have more off spring.
The Bible tells us that it was the male and "his" female. Genesis 7:2 seems to be saying that the males had mates. This implies that that they were older. But let's say they are small adults. Did you know that a number of animals reach maturity (size) in the matter of a few months? How does this work out if they were left on the ark for 150 days? (about 5 months)

And how are we going to get these large numbers of animals to fit into the ark..? This is a copy and paste from another section..

Quote: "Robert D. Barnes lists the number of living species for each phylum, ranging from the sole member of Placozoa to the 923,000 in Arthropoda (pp. 12, 85-88). Using his figures, we arrive at a total of 1,177,920 species.

In addition, there are many animals that are as yet unknown.

All of those creatures were known at one time, for Adam gave them all names (Genesis 2:19-20), and, since they exist today, they must have been on the ark. But we shall be extremely generous to the YEC creationists and add only 500,000 undiscovered species to our figure of 1,177,920—thus giving a mere 1,677,920 species with which Noah had to contend.

Of course, we can't forget that Genesis 7:2-3 (particularly in the Revised Standard Version) makes it clear that only unclean animals come in single pairs, male and female; the clean animals and birds come in seven pairs, male and female. That means fourteen of each clean animal and each bird. But since figures for the number of clean animals are hard to find, we will have to let creationists off the hook and ignore them. Birds are another story. There are 8,590 species of birds. Since they have already been calculated into our figure of 1,877,920 species or 3,755,840 individual animals on the ark, we need only six more pairs of each species of bird to make it come out to seven pairs. That brings our count up to a grand total of 3,858,920 animals aboard the ark—two of each species, except birds which number fourteen each."

Source: http://ncseweb.org/cej/4/1/impossible-v ... %20Animals

In fact when you look at a ship such as the Titanic (882 feet long by 92 feet wide), it was nearly twice the size of Noah's ark (450 feet long by 75 feet wide) but only had the capacity of about 3,547 persons. Yet we are told that Noah could fit all the animals into his ark thought out the whole world (around some 3,858,920 animals) including about a years supply of food to feed them. I wonder how on earth this could ever be accomplished...

On top of this you are claiming that dinosaurs were also put on the ark as well which brings up the total even more...Often I hear that it is a problem to feed all these animals, but also what are all these animals going to drink? The global floodwaters would have been infested with salt and other harmful minerals from the ocean bottom.
Does Specie = kind or does kind refer to a broader spectrum? Are dogs and coyotes the same kind? Are all of the breeds (specie) of dogs today from one kind of dog? I think God would have made it possible to keeps all of the different kinds of animals including dinosaurs. Do you think bugs were on the ark? How about fish or marine mammals? Do I think some of the marine mammals and fish died in the flood, yes I do. When has God ask someone to do something they can not do? Do you think Noah had to round up all of these animals or do you think God made them come and get in the ark? Gen 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; was God on the ark? Gen7:16 "male and female of all flesh", "and the Lord shut him in" Was God with Noah or not? Do you think God had a plan? Was there bodies of salt water before the flood?
erawdrah wrote:Why weren't horses, pigs, parrots, or dogs mentioned? That article doesn't mention the dinosaurs in Job.
Please read the article again... He talks about the Leviathan in Job.
erawdrah wrote:Next, it talks about the creation of plants, which are important to humans, since we eat them, and also important to the animals that we rely upon, which also eat them. Then, it talks about the sea creatures and birds, which we also eat. It next talks about the beasts of the field, which we eat and use for labor." When did man start eating animals and not just vegetation? Gen 1:29-30 These creatures were not for us to eat, they weren't even made to cloth us. The first time an animal was killed for clothing was when God killed it to cloth man because man was naked and knew it. Gen 3:21 We didn't eat flesh until after the flood.
Man and animals ultimately live on plants.. So what is the problem with Gen 1:29-30? Without plant life we would all be dead since it is our main food source. Sometimes however, we don't eat plants but kill other animals that do eat plants.. The cow eats the grass and the lion eats the cow... With no grass there is no cow or lion...
Gen 9:3-4 Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them?
erawdrah wrote:I do agree with the articles conclusion as far as it's really unimportant to list all of the creatures made but I strongly disagree with the statement "The purpose of the creation account is to provide an explanation of how God provided for mankind and created him as the one spiritual animal on earth." Spiritual animal? We are made in God's image, he never said anything else was made in his image. Man is not an animal. Some men act like animals and some men want you to think we came from animals. If we evolved from animals then we are nothing more than just animals. Are we animals or more than animals?
Man is a type of animal, in the animal family, but we are far from animals (made in the image of God). We did not evolve from them if that is what you mean..

Interesting. So what makes us a type of animal? Because we have the same structure as animals?
erawdrah wrote:Please don't take anything I say personally, it's not directed at you. I value your opinion and your thoughts. I hope I didn't get too mean in my replies. Thanks for your time.
I haven't.. Have you? To be honest nothing you supplied here hasn't been already addressed here on this forum. It's nothing new..
No I'm just not wanting to cause strife. But I'm tired of Christians comprising their beliefs to fit a man made theory.
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

zoegirl wrote:My source is an exhaustive review, it atually addresses all of those supposedly pesky problems that your souces brings up.

Of course, carbon datingis siy on in a myriad of methods that have validated the results

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... verse.html
In your latest link the very first reference is what version of the Bible?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"The blessings of your father Have surpassed the blessings of my ancestors Up to the utmost bound of the everlasting hills; May they be on the head of Joseph, And on the crown of the head of the one distinguished among his brothers.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The blessings of your father are greater than the blessings of the oldest mountains and the riches of the ancient hills. May these blessings rest on the head of Joseph, on the crown of the prince among his brothers.

King James Bible
The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

American King James Version
The blessings of your father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors to the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brothers.

American Standard Version
The blessings of thy father Have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors Unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: They shall be on the head of Joseph, And on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

Bible in Basic English
Blessings of sons, old and young, to the father: blessings of the oldest mountains and the fruit of the eternal hills: let them come on the head of Joseph, on the crown of him who was separate from his brothers.

Douay-Rheims Bible
The blessings of thy father are strengthened with the blessings of his fathers: until the desire of the everlasting hills should come; may they be upon the head of Joseph, and upon the crown of the Nazarite among his brethren.

Darby Bible Translation
The blessings of thy father surpass the blessings of my ancestors, Unto the bounds of the everlasting hills: They shall be on the head of Joseph, And on the crown of the head of him that was separated from his brethren.

English Revised Version
The blessings of thy father Have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors Unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: They shall be on the head of Joseph, And on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

Webster's Bible Translation
The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors to the utmost bound of the everlasting hills; they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

World English Bible
The blessings of your father have prevailed above the blessings of your ancestors, above the boundaries of the ancient hills. They will be on the head of Joseph, on the crown of the head of him who is separated from his brothers.

Young's Literal Translation
Thy father's blessings have been mighty Above the blessings of my progenitors, Unto the limit of the heights age-during They are for the head of Joseph, And for the crown of the one Separate from his brethren.

I disagree that radiometric is an absolute. Especially after reading this website. http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/ I have the book on order and am looking forward to see what they have to say.

As far as ice cores, the rings are not annual they are periods of warm and cold which you can get multiple periods in one year. The WW II aircraft they recovered where over 250 ft down in the ice. According to your first link, that would make them 5,770 years old (roughly) http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/WWII-p ... 12243.html
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

NIV wrote:Genesis 49:26 (New International Version)

26 Your father's blessings are greater
than the blessings of the ancient mountains,
than [a] the bounty of the age-old hills.
Let all these rest on the head of Joseph,
on the brow of the prince among his brothers

THere's your answer http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... version=31

Ok, your first link leads to a wacky scientist who, instead of examining more recent finds, showcses 100 year old or so pieces of scientific mistakes. This is Old Old news. We need to be, as Christians, at the *forefront* of reserach instead of dragging behind.

The second link? What does it even have to do with the Vostok ice core in Antarctica?!?! you posted an article about a WWII plane restoration in Greenland!?!? Searched it several times but had nothing to do with how ice core data are taken. FOr the different methods of interpreting the ice core

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/icecore/ ... cales.html

There is pretty basic evidence that shows that the snowfall and temperature cause*seasonal* changes that are pretty reliable. There may be climate trends that also affect the layering but, like tree rings, we can rely on them. NOt to mention that there are several different ways to calcul;ate timescale and these corroborate each other.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

erawdrah wrote:http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/dating.html Next check out http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/ While these guys do not believe creation nor in God they have brought some very interesting evidence. They says humans were here 2 billion years ago. How can this be? Human remains found in strata that was billions of years old? While I don't believe the earth has been here 2 billion years, they do bring up the suppression of evidence. When science can explain how a piece of marble with raised letters on it was found in strata that "dates" back to 500-600 million years ago or how a metallic sphere from South Africa with three parallel grooves around its equator. The sphere was found in a Precambrian mineral deposit, "said" to be 2.8 billion years old., I will consider the dates in the Geological Column. Until that time the column is invalid, radiometric doesn't have much to stand on either.
I'm not advocating that humans were here 2 billion years ago.. 50 thousand years tops. Again, a lot of it is the type of mineral you are dating such as zircon..
Modern geologists and geophysicists consider the age of the Earth to be around 4.54 billion years (4.54 נ109 years ± 1%).[1][2] This age has been determined by radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich minerals showed that some were in excess of a billion years old.[3] The oldest such minerals analysed to date — small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia — are at least 4.404 billion years old.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Age

Or this from godandscience…
Dr. Gentry (see Parentless polonium halos, above) also measured the amounts of helium and lead (both products of radioactive decay) in zircon crystals from a single granite formation. The present temperature at each depth sampled was recorded. The depths ranged from the surface to 4310 meters, while the temperatures ranged from 20 to 313 degrees centigrade. Using standard methods to determine the amount of lead produced by radioactive decay in the samples, Gentry found that practically all of the expected lead was present in the samples, even though the lead would be expected to have diffused away from the samples due to the high temperatures (R.V. Gentry et al, Science, v.216, pp.296-298 (16 April 1982)). In his book Creation's Tiny Mystery, Gentry proposes an age limit of 300,000 years based on his lead findings. Similarly, judging the amount of helium produced from the amount of lead present, he found a significant amount of helium (from 17% to 58% of his calculated limit) in samples down to 2900 meters of depth. Again he argued that the helium should have diffused away due to the high temperatures if the sample were really hundreds of millions of years old. On the other hand, and this may be of great importance, Gentry reported that practically all of the helium had diffused away in the samples from deeper than 2900 meters (R.V. Gentry et al, Geophysical Research Letters, v.9, no.10, pp.1129-1130 (1982)). The likely explanation for Gentry's findings seems to be that the formation from which he drew his samples has only recently been subjected to temperatures high enough to cause diffusion. If so, the lack of diffusion then would not date the rock formation itself, but rather the onset of high temperatures. This is especially indicated by the complete diffusion of helium in his deeper samples, since helium diffuses more easily than lead, and the deeper parts of the formation would be expected to experience higher temperatures earlier than the shallower parts. In fact, Gentry acknowledges in the above-cited Science article that temperatures in the formation are indeed thought to be rising. Need confirmed rebuttal from knowledgeable source. These claims are not present in the Defender's Bible, indicating that they have been abandoned by ICR as weak.1
Source: http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/yeclaims.html
erawdrah wrote: Of course sin brought in spiritual death and physical death. Death was brought into the world by sin, before that there was no death.
I'll admit that Gen 3:19 is talking about physical death… It doesn't have to mean that it was physical death at that instant however. Even you admitted that, stating it happened later. Therefore it could have happened earlier then too. Gen 3:19, could simply be stating that Adam was going to die in his sins. If he didn't sin, then he wouldn't have to die in his sins. He would have died anyways, just not in his sins..
erawdrah wrote:Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
It doesn't say physical death.. It could be spiritual death too..
erawdrah wrote:Animals and all of creation have been affected by man's sin.

Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Best explained here.. http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/romans8.html
erawdrah wrote:This is from your article. Let's look at this closely. The first line says that Adam would have to work harder then he did in the garden of Eden. Humm.. That's what I said. Second, weeds? Weeds are plants not wanted in a certain place. Sometimes flowers are weeds, and some weeds are flowers. It depends on the person looking at them. The Bible says thorns and thistles. I believe that means he made the plants to grow thorns and thistles where they hadn't grown before. Then again Richard Deem says Adam didn't have to work very hard in the garden of Eden. In his conclusion, he states that the garden of Eden would no longer be under that protection of God, but the land woud revert to its wild, unsubdued state like the rest of the land around the garden.
Not exactly.. Rich's article is referring to the garden of eden itself. You omitted the previous sentences before that statement..
“If there were no weeds in the garden, I am not sure what Adam would have to do in order to "cultivate and keep it."3 To accept the young earth interpretation that weeds were not created until after the fall, one would literally have nothing for Adam to "cultivate and keep." My guess is that occasional weed seeds would blow into the garden from outside, sprout, and have to be uprooted.”
erawdrah wrote:So do you think this means that there were thorns and thistles and lions eating sheep already outside of the garden of Eden? Or where they in the garden too? And you also think that when the Bible says in Gen 1:29-30 then man ate the sheep which ate the herbs, therefore the we did eat the herbs. Gen 9:3-4
I'm sure Adam could have been eating animals in or outside the garden.. Again, the curse for Adam was being kicked out of the garden into the real world.

More here..

http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/science/SC0707W2B.htm
erawdrah wrote:Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them? Why would God say his creation was "good" if there was death in the world? Death is brought by sin, so was there sin in the garden?
Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them? Because the ground would have been wiped out by the local flood for miles.. That is all Adam probably could have eaten.. Let's turn this around, so if God gave Adam permission to eat the only animals left on earth then there wouldn't be any more animals to reproduce.
erawdrah wrote:Does Specie = kind or does kind refer to a broader spectrum? Are dogs and coyotes the same kind? Are all of the breeds (specie) of dogs today from one kind of dog? I think God would have made it possible to keeps all of the different kinds of animals including dinosaurs.
If you are stating that a dog could morph into a wolf in less than 6 thousand years then you are giving credence to evolution.. I don't except that evolution can morph species that quickly..
erawdrah wrote:Do you think bugs were on the ark?
Sure but that is another problem in itself. Especially with slow moving snails..
erawdrah wrote:How about fish or marine mammals? Do I think some of the marine mammals and fish died in the flood, yes I do.
What about the fish? If it were freshwater, then the saltwater fish would have died, but if it were saltwater, then the freshwater fish would have died. But it was probably boiling saltwater from the broken plates underground that would have killed everything… If you believe in a global flood that is..
erawdrah wrote:When has God ask someone to do something they can not do? Do you think Noah had to round up all of these animals or do you think God made them come and get in the ark? Gen 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; was God on the ark? Gen7:16 "male and female of all flesh", "and the Lord shut him in" Was God with Noah or not? Do you think God had a plan?
Sure God has plans.. But not ones that breaks His laws of physics..
erawdrah wrote:Was there bodies of salt water before the flood?
Sure… Whenever the earth cracks, minerals from down below infest the waters. Noah's huge cargo would have nothing to drink.. Are you saying that the oceans did not contain saltwater in the past? Where is your evidence for this claim?
erawdrah wrote:Gen 9:3-4 Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them?
I already answered this…
erawdrah wrote:Interesting. So what makes us a type of animal? Because we have the same structure as animals?
That is how scientists classify us. Yes, there are some similarities.. But man is still made in the image of God while animals aren't..
erawdrah wrote:No I'm just not wanting to cause strife. But I'm tired of Christians comprising their beliefs to fit a man made theory.
You mean the man made theory of the global flood? Listen, I would be careful of such claims as this..

1. God does not require the entire destruction of the world if man lived in one place.
2. Be careful of saying that death is a bad thing. Death could have been instituted by God to curb overpopulation in the beginning. Death is also good because it regenerates the earth's life cycle. If it was instituted by God, then we could be calling God's ways (death) evil. That is something I wouldn't want to do..

This is a good article too..

Does the Presence of Natural Evil Argue Against the Existence of God? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

zoegirl wrote:My source is an exhaustive review, it atually addresses all of those supposedly pesky problems that your souces brings up.
Exhaustive? After only a few hours of looking on the internet, I have found things that were left out of your exhaustive paper. K40 - Ar40 and Ar40 - Ar39 http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/labs/argon/methods/home.html This paper shows the flaws that are not covered in your paper. Ar/Ar requires a known date in order to adjust the amount of time the sample is exposed to the reactor. According to this scientist the K/Ar method is not good enough for the adjustment and recommends U/Pb or astronomical polarity time scale(APTS). Everything I have found on the APTS says that K/Ar or Ar/Ar method is how they determined the dating of the magnetic reversals. http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1995/94GL03214.shtml That's kind of circular thinking. This guy says the recalibration of the APTS for the K-P layer needs to fit 65 ma. U/Pb is not a closed system and can still give incorrect results. http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... ranium.asp No mention of Rubidium-strontium sources of errors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubidium-strontium_dating Just to name a few, I haven't investigated the rest yet.

This is from your paper "Ice Cores. One of the best ways to measure farther back in time than tree rings is by using the seasonal variations in polar ice from Greenland and Antarctica." "Ice cores are obtained by drilling very deep holes in the ice caps on Greenland and Antarctica with specialized drilling rigs." That's why I brought up Greenland and the WW II aircraft under 250 ft of ice. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/04/us/wo ... -deep.html 46 years after they belly landed in Greenland were covered in 250 ft of ice. Your paper claims they have cored to 9,000 ft of ice. These planes were covered in 46 yrs with 250 ft of ice. There appears to me to be a small problem with 9,000 ft = 160,000 years and 250 ft = 46 years.
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

Gman wrote:
erawdrah wrote:http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/dating.html Next check out http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/ While these guys do not believe creation nor in God they have brought some very interesting evidence. They says humans were here 2 billion years ago. How can this be? Human remains found in strata that was billions of years old? While I don't believe the earth has been here 2 billion years, they do bring up the suppression of evidence. When science can explain how a piece of marble with raised letters on it was found in strata that "dates" back to 500-600 million years ago or how a metallic sphere from South Africa with three parallel grooves around its equator. The sphere was found in a Precambrian mineral deposit, "said" to be 2.8 billion years old., I will consider the dates in the Geological Column. Until that time the column is invalid, radiometric doesn't have much to stand on either.
I'm not advocating that humans were here 2 billion years ago.. 50 thousand years tops. Again, a lot of it is the type of mineral you are dating such as zircon..
Neither am I. I just found it interesting that claim human remains and crafted items were found in the wrong strata. When I get the book and verify as much as I can I will post it for discussion.
Modern geologists and geophysicists consider the age of the Earth to be around 4.54 billion years (4.54 נ109 years ± 1%).[1][2] This age has been determined by radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich minerals showed that some were in excess of a billion years old.[3] The oldest such minerals analysed to date — small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia — are at least 4.404 billion years old.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Age

Or this from godandscience…
Dr. Gentry (see Parentless polonium halos, above) also measured the amounts of helium and lead (both products of radioactive decay) in zircon crystals from a single granite formation. The present temperature at each depth sampled was recorded. The depths ranged from the surface to 4310 meters, while the temperatures ranged from 20 to 313 degrees centigrade. Using standard methods to determine the amount of lead produced by radioactive decay in the samples, Gentry found that practically all of the expected lead was present in the samples, even though the lead would be expected to have diffused away from the samples due to the high temperatures (R.V. Gentry et al, Science, v.216, pp.296-298 (16 April 1982)). In his book Creation's Tiny Mystery, Gentry proposes an age limit of 300,000 years based on his lead findings. Similarly, judging the amount of helium produced from the amount of lead present, he found a significant amount of helium (from 17% to 58% of his calculated limit) in samples down to 2900 meters of depth. Again he argued that the helium should have diffused away due to the high temperatures if the sample were really hundreds of millions of years old. On the other hand, and this may be of great importance, Gentry reported that practically all of the helium had diffused away in the samples from deeper than 2900 meters (R.V. Gentry et al, Geophysical Research Letters, v.9, no.10, pp.1129-1130 (1982)). The likely explanation for Gentry's findings seems to be that the formation from which he drew his samples has only recently been subjected to temperatures high enough to cause diffusion. If so, the lack of diffusion then would not date the rock formation itself, but rather the onset of high temperatures. This is especially indicated by the complete diffusion of helium in his deeper samples, since helium diffuses more easily than lead, and the deeper parts of the formation would be expected to experience higher temperatures earlier than the shallower parts. In fact, Gentry acknowledges in the above-cited Science article that temperatures in the formation are indeed thought to be rising. Need confirmed rebuttal from knowledgeable source. These claims are not present in the Defender's Bible, indicating that they have been abandoned by ICR as weak.1

Source: http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/yeclaims.html
erawdrah wrote: Of course sin brought in spiritual death and physical death. Death was brought into the world by sin, before that there was no death.
I'll admit that Gen 3:19 is talking about physical death… It doesn't have to mean that it was physical death at that instant however. Even you admitted that, stating it happened later. Therefore it could have happened earlier then too. Gen 3:19, could simply be stating that Adam was going to die in his sins. If he didn't sin, then he wouldn't have to die in his sins. He would have died anyways, just not in his sins..
I believe that Gen 2:17 is speaking of a spiritual death (separation from God) too.
erawdrah wrote:Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
It doesn't say physical death.. It could be spiritual death too..
erawdrah wrote:Animals and all of creation have been affected by man's sin.

Best explained here.. http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/romans8.html
erawdrah wrote:This is from your article. Let's look at this closely. The first line says that Adam would have to work harder then he did in the garden of Eden. Humm.. That's what I said. Second, weeds? Weeds are plants not wanted in a certain place. Sometimes flowers are weeds, and some weeds are flowers. It depends on the person looking at them. The Bible says thorns and thistles. I believe that means he made the plants to grow thorns and thistles where they hadn't grown before. Then again Richard Deem says Adam didn't have to work very hard in the garden of Eden. In his conclusion, he states that the garden of Eden would no longer be under that protection of God, but the land woud revert to its wild, unsubdued state like the rest of the land around the garden.

Not exactly.. Rich's article is referring to the garden of eden itself. You omitted the previous sentences before that statement..
“If there were no weeds in the garden, I am not sure what Adam would have to do in order to "cultivate and keep it."3 To accept the young earth interpretation that weeds were not created until after the fall, one would literally have nothing for Adam to "cultivate and keep." My guess is that occasional weed seeds would blow into the garden from outside, sprout, and have to be uprooted.”
I believe the conditions were perfect in the garden of Eden. Whatever perfect would include I do not know. I don't believe that plants grew thorns or thistles were in the garden of Eden or anywhere else.
erawdrah wrote:So do you think this means that there were thorns and thistles and lions eating sheep already outside of the garden of Eden? Or where they in the garden too? And you also think that when the Bible says in Gen 1:29-30 then man ate the sheep which ate the herbs, therefore the we did eat the herbs. Gen 9:3-4
I'm sure Adam could have been eating animals in or outside the garden.. Again, the curse for Adam was being kicked out of the garden into the real world.

More here..

http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/science/SC0707W2B.htm
I still believe death didn't exist before they sinned
erawdrah wrote:Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them? Why would God say his creation was "good" if there was death in the world? Death is brought by sin, so was there sin in the garden?
Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them? Because the ground would have been wiped out by the local flood for miles.. That is all Adam probably could have eaten.. Let's turn this around, so if God gave Adam permission to eat the only animals left on earth then there wouldn't be any more animals to reproduce.
Couldn't he just walked miles to food? He probably had some food left from the ark. This is where God told man to eat animals and up to this point man didn't eat animals.
erawdrah wrote:Does Specie = kind or does kind refer to a broader spectrum? Are dogs and coyotes the same kind? Are all of the breeds (specie) of dogs today from one kind of dog? I think God would have made it possible to keeps all of the different kinds of animals including dinosaurs.
If you are stating that a dog could morph into a wolf in less than 6 thousand years then you are giving credence to evolution.. I don't except that evolution can morph species that quickly..
There are 6 types of evolution. If you're going to debate evolution then you must know which one the 6 you are debating. Macro-evolution is the 5th type. This is the belief that dog type can become a cat type or dinosaurs type can become bird types. Micro-evolution is the 6th type which is the process by which two dog types inter breed to produce offspring with combined features. The theory is that micro-evolution left alone for millions of years can produce macro-evolution. You can shrink a dog type by breeding smaller adults together until you get a very small dog. How do you think we got all of the types of dogs today? Man breed them for his purpose. This can happen in <6,000 years. I do not believe that a dog type has ever produced a non-dog type, ever. Micro-evolution is a horrible term, it implies that one who believes this believes in macro-evolution too.
erawdrah wrote:Do you think bugs were on the ark?
Sure but that is another problem in itself. Especially with slow moving snails..
I don't think bugs were on the ark except if they were hitching a ride on an animal. Bugs breathe through their skin and can survive a flood with no problems.
erawdrah wrote:How about fish or marine mammals? Do I think some of the marine mammals and fish died in the flood, yes I do.
What about the fish? If it were freshwater, then the saltwater fish would have died, but if it were saltwater, then the freshwater fish would have died. But it was probably boiling saltwater from the broken plates underground that would have killed everything… If you believe in a global flood that is..
Now that assumes that there were saltwater life. I don't know one way or another. I do know that freshwater fish can survive in saltwater if the salt is added slowly. Guppies have been the most experimented on. When they put these guppies back into fresh water they die. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy#_note-6 http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic83121-4-1.aspx
erawdrah wrote:When has God ask someone to do something they can not do? Do you think Noah had to round up all of these animals or do you think God made them come and get in the ark? Gen 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; was God on the ark? Gen7:16 "male and female of all flesh", "and the Lord shut him in" Was God with Noah or not? Do you think God had a plan?
Sure God has plans.. But not ones that breaks His laws of physics..
Did God break the laws of physics with the plagues of Egypt? Ex 9:21 Hail with fire mixed in it. Jesus walked on the water. Or Judges 6:37-40. Those seem to be outside of physics.
erawdrah wrote:Was there bodies of salt water before the flood?
Sure… Whenever the earth cracks, minerals from down below infest the waters. Noah's huge cargo would have nothing to drink.. Are you saying that the oceans did not contain saltwater in the past? Where is your evidence for this claim?

erawdrah wrote:Gen 9:3-4 Why would God give Noah permission to eat animals if he was already eating them?
I already answered this…
erawdrah wrote:Interesting. So what makes us a type of animal? Because we have the same structure as animals?
That is how scientists classify us. Yes, there are some similarities.. But man is still made in the image of God while animals aren't..
erawdrah wrote:No I'm just not wanting to cause strife. But I'm tired of Christians comprising their beliefs to fit a man made theory.
You mean the man made theory of the global flood? Listen, I would be careful of such claims as this..

1. God does not require the entire destruction of the world if man lived in one place.
2. Be careful of saying that death is a bad thing. Death could have been instituted by God to curb overpopulation in the beginning. Death is also good because it regenerates the earth's life cycle. If it was instituted by God, then we could be calling God's ways (death) evil. That is something I wouldn't want to do..

This is a good article too..

Does the Presence of Natural Evil Argue Against the Existence of God? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
Or the man made theory of a local flood? http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... 2/noah.asp
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

eradraw wrote:There are 6 types of evolution.
Care to elaborate?
eradraw wrote: evolution then you must know which one the 6 you are debating. Macro-evolution is the 5th type. This is the belief that dog type can become a cat type or dinosaurs type can become bird types. Micro-evolution is the 6th type which is the process by which two dog types inter breed to produce offspring with combined features.
Um...no, microevolution is not defined here by this example. Microevolution is simply the process whereby gene frquencies of a population will shift acroding to the selective process. Add in mutations and then you add variation.

Verf frequently, we see global flood advocates reconcile the number of species by proclaiming that Noah would not have had to take all fo the species, he could have taken kinds and then they subcrbe to a very...accelerated form of evolution that no actual evolutionist will support.
eradraw wrote:Exhaustive? After only a few hours of looking on the internet, I have found things that were left out of your exhaustive paper. K40 - Ar40 and Ar40 - Ar39 http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/labs/argon/methods/home.html This paper shows the flaws that are not covered in your paper. Ar/Ar requires a known date in order to adjust the amount of time the sample is exposed to the reactor. According to this scientist the K/Ar method is not good enough for the adjustment and recommends U/Pb or astronomical polarity time scale(APTS). Everything I have found on the APTS says that K/Ar or Ar/Ar method is how they determined the dating of the magnetic reversals.

Okay, here are the quotes from the source:
New Mexico Bureau Lab wrote: The material in question is a closed system. In other words, no radiogenic 40Ar has escaped from the rock/mineral since it formed. In the case of a volcanic mineral, this means rapid cooling. Likewise, potassium has not been gained or lost.
A correction is made for atmospheric argon (40Ar from the 40Ar/36Ar ratio = 295.5 subtracted).
No non-atmospheric 40Ar was incorporated into the rock/mineral during or after its formation.

The isotopes of potassium in the rock/mineral have not fractionated, except by 40K decay.

The decay constants of 40K are accurately known.

The quantities of 40Ar and potassium in the rock/mineral are accurately determined.
Notice, however, that the authors never treat this as a deciding factr against the method, merely as a limitation.
NMBL wrote: The 40Ar/39Ar dating technique is a more sophisticated variation of the K/Ar dating technique. Both techniques rely on the measurement of a daughter isotope (40Ar) and a parent isotope. While the K/Ar technique measures potassium as the parent, the 40Ar/39Ar technique uses 39Ar.

Principles of the 40Ar/39Ar method
Because the relative abundances of the potassium isotopes are known, the 39ArK (produced from 39K by a fast neutron reaction) can be used as a proxy for potassium. Therefore, unlike the conventional K/Ar technique, absolute abundances need not be measured. Instead, the ratios of the different argon isotopes are measured, yielding more precise and accurate results. Additional advantages of the single isotopic measurements of the 40Ar/39Ar technique are decreased effects of sample inhomogeneity and the use of smaller sample sizes.
my original source wrote:Now let's look at how the actual dating methods work. Igneous rocks are good candidates for dating. Recall that for igneous rocks the event being dated is when the rock was formed from magma or lava. When the molten material cools and hardens, the atoms are no longer free to move about. Daughter atoms that result from radioactive decays occurring after the rock cools are frozen in the place where they were made within the rock. These atoms are like the sand grains accumulating in the bottom of the hourglass. Determining the age of a rock is a two-step process. First one needs to measure the number of daughter atoms and the number of remaining parent atoms and calculate the ratio between them. Then the half-life is used to calculate the time it took to produce that ratio of parent atoms to daughter atoms.

However, there is one complication. One cannot always assume that there were no daughter atoms to begin with. It turns out that there are some cases where one can make that assumption quite reliably. But in most cases the initial amount of the daughter product must be accurately determined. Most of the time one can use the different amounts of parent and daughter present in different minerals within the rock to tell how much daughter was originally present. Each dating mechanism deals with this problem in its own way. Some types of dating work better in some rocks; others are better in other rocks, depending on the rock composition and its age. Let's examine some of the different dating mechanisms now.

Potassium-Argon. Potassium is an abundant element in the Earth's crust. One isotope, potassium-40, is radioactive and decays to two different daughter products, calcium-40 and argon-40, by two different decay methods. This is not a problem because the production ratio of these two daughter products is precisely known, and is always constant: 11.2% becomes argon-40 and 88.8% becomes calcium-40. It is possible to date some rocks by the potassium-calcium method, but this is not often done because it is hard to determine how much calcium was initially present. Argon, on the other hand, is a gas. Whenever rock is melted to become magma or lava, the argon tends to escape. Once the molten material hardens, it begins to trap the new argon produced since the hardening took place. In this way the potassium-argon clock is clearly reset when an igneous rock is formed.

In its simplest form, the geologist simply needs to measure the relative amounts of potassium-40 and argon-40 to date the rock. The age is given by a relatively simple equation:

t = h x ln[1 + (argon-40)/(0.112 x (potassium-40))]/ln(2)

where t is the time in years, h is the half-life, also in years, and ln is the natural logarithm.

page 5

However, in reality there is often a small amount of argon remaining in a rock when it hardens. This is usually trapped in the form of very tiny air bubbles in the rock. One percent of the air we breathe is argon. Any extra argon from air bubbles may need to be taken into account if it is significant relative to the amount of radiogenic argon (that is, argon produced by radioactive decays). This would most likely be the case in either young rocks that have not had time to produce much radiogenic argon, or in rocks that are low in the parent potassium. One must have a way to determine how much air-argon is in the rock. This is rather easily done because air-argon has a couple of other isotopes, the most abundant of which is argon-36. The ratio of argon-40 to argon-36 in air is well known, at 295. Thus, if one measures argon-36 as well as argon-40, one can calculate and subtract off the air-argon-40 to get an accurate age.

One of the best ways of showing that an age-date is correct is to confirm it with one or more different dating

Some young-Earth proponents recently reported that rocks were dated by the potassium-argon method to be a several million years old when they are really only a few years old. But the potassium-argon method, with its long half-life, was never intended to date rocks only 25 years old. These people have only succeeded in correctly showing that one can fool a single radiometric dating method when one uses it improperly. The false radiometric ages of several million years are due to parentless argon, as described here, and first reported in the literature some fifty years ago. Note that it would be extremely unlikely for another dating method to agree on these bogus ages. Getting agreement between more than one dating method is a recommended practice.

method(s). Although potassium-argon is one of the simplest dating methods, there are still some cases where it does not agree with other methods. When this does happen, it is usually because the gas within bubbles in the rock is from deep underground rather than from the air. This gas can have a higher concentration of argon-40 escaping from the melting of older rocks. This is called parentless argon-40 because its parent potassium is not in the rock being dated, and is also not from the air. In these slightly unusual cases, the date given by the normal potassium-argon method is too old. However, scientists in the mid-1960s came up with a way around this problem, the argon-argon method, discussed in the next section.

Argon-Argon. Even though it has been around for nearly half a century, the argon-argon method is seldom discussed by groups critical of dating methods. This method uses exactly the same parent and daughter isotopes as the potassium-argon method. In effect, it is a different way of telling time from the same clock. Instead of simply comparing the total potassium with the non-air argon in the rock, this method has a way of telling exactly what and how much argon is directly related to the potassium in the rock.

In the argon-argon method the rock is placed near the center of a nuclear reactor for a period of hours. A nuclear reactor emits a very large number of neutrons, which are capable of changing a small amount of the potassium-39 into argon-39. Argon-39 is not found in nature because it has only a 269-year half-life. (This half-life doesn't affect the argon-argon dating method as long as the measurements are made within about five years of the neutron dose). The rock is then heated in a furnace to release both the argon-40 and the argon-39 (representing the potassium) for analysis. The heating is done at incrementally higher temperatures and at each step the ratio of argon-40 to argon-39 is measured. If the argon-40 is from decay of potassium within the rock, it will come out at the same temperatures as the potassium-derived argon-39 and in a constant proportion. On the other hand, if there is some excess argon-40 in the rock it will cause a different ratio of argon-40 to argon-39 for some or many of the heating steps, so the different heating steps will not agree with each other.

page 6

Figure 2. A typical argon-argon dating plot. Each small rectangle represents the apparent age given at one particular heating-step temperature. The top and bottom parts of the rectangles represent upper and lower limits for that particular determination. The age is based on the measured argon-40 / argon-39 ratio and the number of neutrons encountered in the reactor. The horizontal axis gives the amount of the total argon-39 released from the sample. A good argon-argon age determination will have a lot of heating steps which all agree with each other. The "plateau age" is the age given by the average of most of the steps, in this case nearly 140 million years. After S. Turner et al. (1994) Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 121,
pp. 333-348.

Figure 2 is an example of a good argon-argon date. The fact that this plot is flat shows that essentially all of the argon-40 is from decay of potassium within the rock. The potassium-40 content of the sample is found by multiplying the argon-39 by a factor based on the neutron exposure in the reactor. When this is done, the plateau in the figure represents an age date based on the decay of potassium-40 to argon-40.

There are occasions when the argon-argon dating method does not give an age even if there is sufficient potassium in the sample and the rock was old enough to date. This most often occurs if the rock experienced a high temperature (usually a thousand degrees Fahrenheit or more) at some point since its formation. If that occurs, some of the argon gas moves around, and the analysis does not give a smooth plateau across the extraction temperature steps. An example of an argon-argon analysis that did not yield an age date is shown in Figure 3. Notice that there is no good plateau in this plot. In some instances there will actually be two plateaus, one representing the formation age, and another representing the time at which the heating episode occurred. But in most cases where the system has been disturbed, there simply is no date given. The important point to note is that, rather than giving wrong age dates, this method simply does not give a date if the system has been disturbed. This is also true of a number of other igneous rock dating methods, as we will describe below.
as well as
radiometric dating wrote:Some doubters have tried to dismiss geologic dating with a sleight of hand by saying that no rocks are completely closed systems (that is, that no rocks are so isolated from their surroundings that they have not lost or gained some of the isotopes used for dating). Speaking from an extreme technical viewpoint this might be true--perhaps 1 atom out of 1,000,000,000,000 of a certain isotope has leaked out of nearly all rocks, but such a change would make an immeasurably small change in the result. The real question to ask is, "is the rock sufficiently close to a closed system that the results will be same as a really closed system?" Since the early 1960s many books have been written on this subject. These books detail experiments showing, for a given dating system, which minerals work all of the time, which minerals work under some certain conditions, and which minerals are likely to lose atoms and give incorrect results. Understanding these conditions is part of the science of geology. Geologists are careful to use the most reliable methods whenever possible, and as discussed above, to test for agreement between different methods.
Hmm....the original post deals with the problems mentioned. In addition, your resource doesn't even approach these limitations as anything close to invalidations of the actual method. If you check their data, they trust the methods.

/pubs/crossref/1995/94GL03214.shtml That's kind of circular thinking. This guy says the recalibration of the APTS for the K-P layer needs to fit 65 ma.
This paper, written in 1994 (considered actaully an older source now) simply refers to how they calibrate the measurements using other sources and corroborating with it.

http://www.terrapub.co.jp/journals/GJ/p ... 050349.pdf

A more recent paper showing how they are able to work with this rock formation and understand that it isn't closed. But if the scientists understand the area, they can still spply the principles.

Also, with respect to the author of your source, Dr. Snelling, check out this fun little article that basically says that he among other young earth sicentists, finally conceded in 1997 that the math checks out and that they now have conceded the basics of radiometric dating: they have focused their attention on not discrediting the methods but claim tha thte decay rates were accelerated: http://www.reasons.org/helium-diffusion ... t-part-1-2

Hmmm...another example of scientists already understanding the problems and limitations! Your source, Dr, Snelling, writes hs paper as if this is some huge surprise to the sciedntific commnuity, as if he is blowing open some big hushed up secret. When in reality all of the papers, the scientifically valid journals,already know this, ALREADY and READILY reveal this in their papers.

U/Pb is not a closed system and can still give incorrect results. http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... ranium.asp No mention of Rubidium-strontium sources of errors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubidium-strontium_dating Just to name a few, I haven't investigated the rest yet.
The wikipedia article isn't even critical of the method! All of your sources simply point to limitations of the methods, well understood methods, well understood limitations. Limitations doesn't invalidate the use o the method, simply means that the scientists understand them.
This is from your paper "Ice Cores. One of the best ways to measure farther back in time than tree rings is by using the seasonal variations in polar ice from Greenland and Antarctica." "Ice cores are obtained by drilling very deep holes in the ice caps on Greenland and Antarctica with specialized drilling rigs." That's why I brought up Greenland and the WW II aircraft under 250 ft of ice. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/04/us/wo ... -deep.html 46 years after they belly landed in Greenland were covered in 250 ft of ice. Your paper claims they have cored to 9,000 ft of ice. These planes were covered in 46 yrs with 250 ft of ice. There appears to me to be a small problem with 9,000 ft = 160,000 years and 250 ft = 46 years.

Um, the plane was covered by a GLACIER, not the same as ice cores
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

erawdrah wrote:I believe the conditions were perfect in the garden of Eden. Whatever perfect would include I do not know. I don't believe that plants grew thorns or thistles were in the garden of Eden or anywhere else.
Not perfect but good.. http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/paradise.html
erawdrah wrote:Couldn't he just walked miles to food? He probably had some food left from the ark. This is where God told man to eat animals and up to this point man didn't eat animals.
After spending 5 months in the ark, with no exercise, I'm sure that they couldn't have traveled far.. Plus the ark would have to be at least 95.85 miles away in order for Noah not to see any dry land from the mountains. That would be too far to walk for food.
erawdrah wrote:There are 6 types of evolution. If you're going to debate evolution then you must know which one the 6 you are debating. Macro-evolution is the 5th type. This is the belief that dog type can become a cat type or dinosaurs type can become bird types. Micro-evolution is the 6th type which is the process by which two dog types inter breed to produce offspring with combined features. The theory is that micro-evolution left alone for millions of years can produce macro-evolution. You can shrink a dog type by breeding smaller adults together until you get a very small dog. How do you think we got all of the types of dogs today? Man breed them for his purpose. This can happen in <6,000 years. I do not believe that a dog type has ever produced a non-dog type, ever. Micro-evolution is a horrible term, it implies that one who believes this believes in macro-evolution too.
I would seriously doubt you could get all the dog breeds, Dachshunds, German Shepherds or Great Danes in less than 6 thousand years. I don't know any scientists that would make such a claim (except for ones that believed in YEC). I'm not claiming that a non-dog type ever produced a dog type, but if you assert that micro-evolution can move that fast, then you are certainly empowering it to do greater things in a lesser amount of time.
erawdrah wrote:I don't think bugs were on the ark except if they were hitching a ride on an animal. Bugs breathe through their skin and can survive a flood with no problems.
So you think that bees or poisonous spiders would have hitched a ride on an animal? How would any other insect survive in the global flood without being on land? I don't understand..
erawdrah wrote:Now that assumes that there were saltwater life. I don't know one way or another. I do know that freshwater fish can survive in saltwater if the salt is added slowly. Guppies have been the most experimented on. When they put these guppies back into fresh water they die. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guppy#_note-6 http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic83121-4-1.aspx
Well, if you claim that the flood was global and that the mountains were created in a matter of a few months, not slowly added, you would be opening the water to the earth's crust which is full of minerals. Also, you would have to assume that our current oceans were freshwater before.. The mineral deposit simply refute that claim.
erawdrah wrote:Did God break the laws of physics with the plagues of Egypt? Ex 9:21 Hail with fire mixed in it. Jesus walked on the water. Or Judges 6:37-40. Those seem to be outside of physics.
No… But God's earth with all it's fossils and soil deposits tell a different story. Also given the dimension for the ark (450x75x45 feet), in the Bible, two of all the animals in the world and their supplies simply could not fit in it. This can be measured.. This is turning the Bible into fables...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
ROBE
Familiar Member

Post by ROBE »

The universe can be billions of years old as can the earth, however the human race can also only be 6000 years old. Just because a church is 700 years old doesn't mean that the front doors can't be just 6 years old.
The question is how much time lapsed between this and the next verse were the earth already exists and God starts the make the Earth fit for life. How long was each day and when did day 6 end and day 7 begin?

Oh and I have to comment on the post above, Ark means box and a box of large dementions had more than enough room to hold all ancestors to produce all kinds of modern land and air animals. One male wolf and one female wolf could produce all the wolves, dogs, foxes etc. Likewise most modern creatures are smaller than humans. Only a few hundred kinds needed to be taken onto the Ark.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

ROBE, the idea that only some kinds were palced on the ark and then a rapid evolution occurred after the flood is proposing an evolutionary rate that, ironically, no evolutionist would subscribe to. It just doesn't happen that fast.
ROBE
Familiar Member

Post by ROBE »

If you compare certain breeds of dogs to how they looked even 50 years ago or a hundred you can see how rapidly even a species can change. The Ark only needed around 45 kinds mamilian, 75 kinds of bird and 10 kinds of reptile on the Ark. Due to the large storage space of a box (not a ship).
ROBE
Familiar Member

Post by ROBE »

If you compare certain breeds of dogs to how they looked even 50 years ago or a hundred you can see how rapidly even a species can change. The Ark only needed around 45 kinds mammal, 75 kinds of bird and 10 kinds of reptile on board. Due to the large storage space of a box (not a ship) there would be plenty of room. Two hundred years ago tiny navy ships would pack 800 men onboard. Insects will get on board during construction, with animals and food easy.

Anyway on the issue of days, the answer is we don't know. In my opinion sticking with the belief held by such sites as Answering Genesis (or "Fairy Tales for Christians")that the days were only 24 hours long does not hold water anymore, likewise trying to fit them into an evolution timetable is also a mistake.

1) We don't know how long it took ALPHA & OMEGA to create the universe and then how long the Earth spent covered in water and an opaque cloud that blocked out light from the Sun, Moon and Stars, before day 1?
2) The how long was each day? We must be talking about at least thousands of years for each day as the 7th day of rest for GOD still hadn't ended when Moses was writing down the Genesis account (no evening and morning for day 7).
3) When did day 6 end and day 7 begin?

If the 6th day ended 50 thousand years ago (but each day was only 24 hours long) then the human race is 50 thousand years old, however if the 6th day ended 6 thousand years ago (and each day was 10 thousand years old)the the human race is only 6 thousand years old. As an example if Joe Bloggs was born at the very end of the 20th century then he is less than 10 years old, he is not 2000 years old.

PS Biblical dates are calculated from the age Adam was when Seth was born, 130 years. However the 6th day didn't end until Eve was created. So Eve was created after Adam and obviously before the birth of Cain, Abel (other sons and daughters not named) and Seth (130 years after Adam). We don't of course know how long ants or aardvarks have been around, though obviously longer than man.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The different kinds of dogs are not different species. To have that sort of speciation would require many more years, on the oreder of thousands of years. It is ironic that some groups are claiming that evolution is not only true but even more rapid that the evolutionists do!
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Regarding the P-38.

one of my clients was the one who put up the money to dig up Glacier Girl and pay for the restoration. Yes, the plane landed on a glacier, but was buried from decades of snow storms. If Glacier Girl had been swept over by a glacier it would have been unrecoverable and torn to shreads. Obviously this wasn't the case because the plane was recovered, with 80% original parts surviving, restored, and flew again.

Snow that fell, surrounded the plane, creating an ice cacoon. You must understand that they were able to land their planes. it was a flat ice shelf. In fact while they were waiting rescue they would use parachutes and burlap sacks to ice sail for fun.

-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

According to the AKC, a new breed is defined by 6 or 7 generations and 1,000+ dogs. http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm With this knowledge it wouldn't take thousands of years to get a new breed. Almost everyone, including the evolutionists, believe that all dogs are descendants of wolves. And the reason there are so many different breeds is because of man. Man bred them for his purpose. Here's a good article that explains how this works beware this is from an evolutionists point of view. http://www.canismajor.com/dog/whtzbred.html#Whatis Another good article is http://www.petsplace.co.za/dogs.htm . I do not believe in evolution, but I do believe in natural selection. Dog breeding is man using natural selection and manipulating for his goal. This happens in the wild but at a much, much slower rate. The important thing to remember is these dogs can all be breed together and they did not become a non-dog. There is no evidence that a dog gave birth to a non-dog or any other creature give birth other than it's own kind. To answer you're other question of the 6 different type of evolution:

1. Cosmic - Which is the origins of time space and matter. And is basically summed up in the Big Bang theory.
2. Stellar and Planetary - Origin of stars and planets which is part 2 of the Big Bang.
3. Chemical - Origins of higher elements from hydrogen.
4. Organic - Origin of life and is also called abiogenesis.
5. Macro - A change from one kind unto a totally different kind.
6. Micro - Variations within the kind

When you discuss evolution with someone you better know what type you are talking about. Most people who argue evolution will argue #5 macro-evolution. I guess they just assume the other 4 to be a given. I still maintain that micro-evolution is a horrible term for different breeds. The evolutionist say that micro-evolution proves marco-evolution, but this is simply not true. A monk named Mendel did a study with peas. He grew 29,000 peas and did heredity tests. He noticed that when pure bred red flowered peas were pollinated he only saw red flowers. Only when he cross bred red flowers with yellow flowers can you get both colors of flowers. In fact, if you have two red flowers where one of them has a yellow flower in parent, then the two red flowered plants could produce a yellow offspring. The only way a red flowered plant can reproduce a yellow plant is by having a yellow plant in it's genealogy. This is the problem with evolution. If your parents or parent's parents or parent's parent's parent and so on didn't have the gene for blue eyes then you won't have it either. Look at this chart http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/phylo.html What do you see on the tree of life picture? Reading it from bottom to top, you see the very first item is a hypothetical common ancestor. So we know this chart is built on theory from the ground up. Now look at the blue dots. They represent where a creature developed something that its parent did not have. This is a violation of Mendel's study. Dog breeds have nothing to do with evolution and they don't need millions or billions of years to produce them.

Thanks jlay for your message.