Username Etymology (so to speak)

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
warhoop
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Username Etymology (so to speak)

Post by warhoop »

So as I peruse the different discussions, I often wonder what the thought is behind the registered username. There appears to be actual proper names in various forms or abbreviations. Initials or abbreviations with numbers. Mini personal statements or creed. Probably even actual nicknames. So if you don't mind chiming in, just curious what your username may mean to you, if anything, or how you came up with it.

Mine is a product of my childhood, so to speak. My dad was a logger and his CB handle was warhoop, a pseudo nickname my grandfather (his father-in-law, my mom's dad), whom my dad also worked for, gave him. Truth is, it was meant to be somewhat derogatory, because he is Native American and my grandfather only called my dad that when he messed something up. But, I always thought that it sounded cool and I have somewhat adopted it as my cyber nom de plume. I had a CB handle, too. It was little savage. I know that makes my grandfather, who was white, sound somewhat racist, and maybe deep down he might have been to a certain extent (now that's a justification), but he really was they guy who would give you the shirt off his back and enjoyed giving people a hard time. So there you go, part explanation, part therapy.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Username Etymology (so to speak)

Post by cslewislover »

Hey warhoop. I was wondering about your name myself, and I still wouldn't mind further explanation regarding its meaning, if you know any. There's actually an older thread like this, but I guess this is OK - there are newer people on now. My name is self-explanatory, I think. I made a little joke about it in the last thread, but someone took it wrong, it seems . . . so.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
warhoop
Recognized Member

Post by warhoop »

It's essentially a name that my grandfather made up and slurred, so to speak, based upon the old western movies with depictions of Natives whooping atop mustangs and riding circles around the fort. So what should be a war whoop, was mashed into warhoop, you know, like you all/y'all or going to/gonna. I have found it to be pretty unique, though, so I've never had any difficulty registering it.
warhoop
Recognized Member

Post by warhoop »

I stand corrected, I looked it up, and it's in the Webster 1828 Dictionary.
WARHOOP, n. [war and hoop.] The savage yell of war; a yell uttered on entering into battle.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member

Post by For_Narniaaa »

The reason for my username can be found at 6:20 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLe5r5Rqm8&NR=1

:ebiggrin: I tried to emphasize the "battle-cry" effect in my name by adding three A's.

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
erawdrah
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by erawdrah »

It's just hardware spelled backwards. I used to manage a big box hardware store, and picked erawdrah so I wouldn't have to do Dave123548458514 thing. Nothing special :lol:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

You know, I *did* try to figure yours out!! :lol: DIdn't think about the wod backwards
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

erawdrah wrote:It's just hardware spelled backwards. I used to manage a big box hardware store, and picked erawdrah so I wouldn't have to do Dave123548458514 thing. Nothing special :lol:
:) Thanks Dave!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
warhoop
Recognized Member

Post by warhoop »

erawdrah wrote:It's just hardware spelled backwards. I used to manage a big box hardware store, and picked erawdrah so I wouldn't have to do Dave123548458514 thing. Nothing special :lol:
And here I was thinking it was some elven, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons & Dragons thing. :econfused:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

:pound:

It *does* remind me of LOTR
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Yeah, it does. :lol:
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

I never thought of that, of course I always see it as hardware backwards. "And Erawdrah brandished his sword...." Next time I'll tell people LOTR blah blah :pound:
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

YOu coul have some fun....

"yeah, you kow that elf if the seond book f the trilogy??? Oh yeah, considered one on the minor but significant roles nt he book " :esurprised: :ebiggrin: :P

Of course, most of the LOTR fans that I know would have readit...oh....10 times and know it's a joke....bu still be fun
erawdrah
Recognized Member

Post by erawdrah »

This High Elf Erawdrah from the clan Ninevah of the isle Nabubu.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

erawdrah wrote:This High Elf Erawdrah from the clan Ninevah of the isle Nabubu.
. . . a land flowing with fish sticks, tarter sauce, and rainbow sherbet (with gum drops on top).