Yom, a dialogue

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Yom, a dialogue

Post by BavarianWheels »

ndvasey wrote:Let me rephrase the question:

Are the seven days described in Gen 1 as well as Exodus 20:11 and Exodus 31:17 the same as our Sunday through Saturday we have today?
Creation Day 7 = Exodus 20:11's Sabbath day and is the sign spoken of in 31:17.

I thought I had made a good explanation of the days...

Yes...God created, in *His six days*, the heavens and the earth. Were those six days consequtive as humans have known days since day 6 of creation? In my opinion (based on simplistic terms laid out in my previous post), No.
ndvasey
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by ndvasey »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Creation Day 7 = Exodus 20:11's Sabbath day and is the sign spoken of in 31:17.

I thought I had made a good explanation of the days...

Yes...God created, in *His six days*, the heavens and the earth. Were those six days consequtive as humans have known days since day 6 of creation? In my opinion (based on simplistic terms laid out in my previous post), No.
Very well then. Although I cannot agree with your exegetical technique, I do understand the need to interpret the passage in the manner you have.

This has been an extremely insightful exercise and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps our paths will cross again on this or another forum. All the best.

By the way, nice ride you've got pictured.
warhoop
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by warhoop »

I think there has been some excellent discussion up to this point and I have enjoyed reading subsequent comments after my last post to get caught up on the action. I will repost the scripture, because I would like to add to my previous comments, not necessarily debate the validity of another's comment, although I will say that Bavarian's and my line of thought are very similar.

8Remember the Sabbath-day to sanctify it;
9six days thou dost labour, and hast done all thy work,
10and the seventh day [is] a Sabbath to Jehovah thy God; thou dost not do any work, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, thy man-servant, and thy handmaid, and thy cattle, and thy sojourner who is within thy gates, --
11for six days hath Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that [is] in them, and resteth in the seventh day; therefore hath Jehovah blessed the Sabbath-day, and doth sanctify it. (Young's Literal Translation)

I chose this translation because it is a very good literal, word for word translation and as such will better illustrate my comment.

First, we are looking at a comparison, not of a time span, but a numerology. That of six and seven. Six = work in progress or good versus seven = completion or very good. God is enstating a human pattern for work and rest by comparing it to His example of work and rest and as such, the length of "day" is irrelevant. Or perhaps another way of stating this would be to point out the verses 9, 10 refers to earthly work and rest and verse 11 refers to divine work and rest with six and seven being the common link and "time" being the reference point.

Second, the "and resteth in the seventh day" in verse 11 refers to an ongoing or continuing action, not a completed action and if that is the case then today is still "the seventh day." So if even today God is still in His "seventh day" then there is no reason to believe that God's, not man's, previous six "days" reflect a total of 144 hours on earth.