Arc Of The Covenant

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Anonymous

Arc Of The Covenant

Post by Anonymous »

Does anyone know if the Arc Of The Covenant exists as supported in the Bible scripture from the Old Testment? I don't know if I am right on this, but apparantly it was a barrier between the unholy and the holy and then the "curtain" came down at Jesus's death for all people to access God's presence. Maybe when we all had access, God crumbled it because it was of no use anymore, probably why no one can find it.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Poetic_Soul »

If it does exist, the only people who would make it of value is the Jews. I've seen movies about it being found and compromising Israel and the muslim community together. It was a fictional pre-rapture movie.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I'm not sure but I think it was destroyed in the early Roman times or before that... Probably as the Jews were taken over. If we found it and could show its power I think it'd give a lot of athiests fits. :)
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

Here's some views from some web searching:

1) the ark does not contain any power
1 Samuel 4: 1: .... Now Israel went out against the Philistines to battle...
3: ... the elders of Israel said, Wherefore hath the LORD smitten us to day before the Philistines? Let us fetch the ark of the covenant of the LORD out of Shiloh unto us, that, when it cometh among us, it may save us out of the hand of our enemies.
5: And when the ark of the covenant of the LORD came into the camp, all Israel shouted with a great shout, so that the earth rang again.
6: And when the Philistines heard the noise of the shout, they said,
7 … God is come into the camp.

The fact was, God was not in that box. Most certainly a copy of His law was. But God was not with Israel on that fateful day. It turned out to be a day of total disaster: Israel lost the battle, the Ark was captured and the high priest Eli and his two sons died.

2) Finding the ark may not make much difference to non-believers.
Christ actually taught that if people did not listen to 'Moses and the prophets', then neither would something as spectacular as someone rising from the dead convince them (Luke 16).

3) There's a good chance that the ark may not re-appearJeremiah says point blank that "the ark of the covenant of the Lord . . . shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they miss it, nor shall it be made again" (Jeremiah 3:16). The context of this passage is the Millennial reign of Jesus, so it does not rule out the possibility of a discovery prior to that time.

4) Where's the ark now?
The Ark was probably lost or destroyed when the Babylonians sacked Jerusalem in 587 BC and destroyed the temple. If Jews had hidden it, the Ark would surely have been used in the Second Temple, which Josephus says it wasn't (Jewish Wars 5:219).

Some claim that it had been brought to Ethiopia

2 Maccabees 2:1--8 indicates that the Ark was taken away from Jerusalem by Jeremiah and hidden in a cave, and that the secret of its hiding place will be revealed only at the end times when God has gathered his people together again.
Anonymous

I know where it is...

Post by Anonymous »

Now don't think I'm crazy, but i have visions in my dreams, like ill dream it, then the next day it will happen, unless I'm being told something. The Arc is east of the Jordan, and north of Jerusalem. i bet you millions it is....now where, i don't know, if its where they intersect, i dunno...lol....oh yea, the apocalypse is coming, March 28th, 2032!
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

.lol....oh yea, the apocalypse is coming, March 28th, 2032!
You'd better get ready then.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

August wrote:
.lol....oh yea, the apocalypse is coming, March 28th, 2032!
You'd better get ready then.
Well, I won't be selling my house and moving to the hills, I can tell you that. :)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

As the edge said, if the arc is found, it won't win over any believers. As G. K. Chesterton said, the reason for disbelief in Christianity is not a lack of evidence, but because of dogmatic unbelief.

And to whoever gave the date of the Apocalypse...only God knows that.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Anonymous

Re: Arc Of The Covenant

Post by Anonymous »

JesusFreak wrote:Does anyone know if the Arc Of The Covenant exists as supported in the Bible scripture from the Old Testment? I don't know if I am right on this, but apparantly it was a barrier between the unholy and the holy and then the "curtain" came down at Jesus's death for all people to access God's presence. Maybe when we all had access, God crumbled it because it was of no use anymore, probably why no one can find it.

I believe it did exist because the bible isn't the only text to contain information of it's purpose or whereabouts. I have recently learned that the Arc itself was hidden away in a church deep in Ethiopia called "St Mary of Zion" in Axum, Ethiopia. Here is the link, I hope it helps

http://www.sacredsites.com/africa/ethio ... iopia.html