A time to lie

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Zašto?
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

A time to lie

Post by ZaÅ¡to? »

I once heard a story from the old testament, i can't remember where, sorry, well, someone lied to save a couple people's lives, and God rewarded the liar.
I don't remember too much of the story as you can see.. but i got the basics
anyway, do you guys think that there is certain time when it is ok to lie, for example -to save someones life.
lets get some opinions ;)
rodyshusband
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: A time to lie

Post by rodyshusband »

You are no doubt referring to the story of Rahab, the Canaanite prostitute, who lied to save the lives of Joshua's spies (Joshua 6). She was then blessed by God.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Zašto?
Acquainted Member

Post by ZaÅ¡to? »

rodyshusband wrote:You are no doubt referring to the story of Rahab, the Canaanite prostitute, who lied to save the lives of Joshua's spies (Joshua 6). She was then blessed by God.
Exactly! Thank you, sorry I don't have a very good memory.
anyway, what do you think? Is there a certain time when it is ok to lie? or should we never lie?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

I think this example shows that there can be a time to lie. I've heard a pastor or two say that we should never lie, not even little "white lies." But given the example here, I disagree. To save an innocent life, say, I think it's better to lie if necessary than to let the person die. It would depend on the situation, of course. I think when God is referring to liars and deceivers, he means people who lie and manipulate for their own ends and evil purposes.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Zašto?
Acquainted Member

Post by ZaÅ¡to? »

cslewislover wrote:I think this example shows that there can be a time to lie. I've heard a pastor or two say that we should never lie, not even little "white lies." But given the example here, I disagree. To save an innocent life, say, I think it's better to lie if necessary than to let the person die. It would depend on the situation, of course. I think when God is referring to liars and deceivers, he means people who lie and manipulate for their own ends and evil purposes.
Agreed. :)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

The next sentence will be a lie.
The last sentence was true.

y:^o ?!?!??!? :lol:

On topic, I endorse CSLL's answer.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Zašto?
Acquainted Member

Post by ZaÅ¡to? »

Jac3510 wrote:The next sentence will be a lie.
The last sentence was true.

y:^o ?!?!??!? :lol:

On topic, I endorse CSLL's answer.
:lol: