Why No Interest? Poll Included!!

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.

Baptism of Holy Spirit + Evangelism

I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit and regularly share my faith.
43%
I have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit but regularly share my faith.
14%
I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit but don't regularly share my faith.
36%
I have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit and don't regularly share my faith.
7%
I am not a Christian or have no faith to share.
No votes

Total votes: 14

Anonymous

Why No Interest? Poll Included!!

Post by Anonymous »

Why when you can an evangelism meeting at Church only 10% (that's high!) or so show up? Why when you have a concert or a Bible study do a lot more people come?

I've read Acts 1:8 lots of times but most recently when I glanced over it something caught my attention that I hadn't noticed before. It had always clicked that the apostles received power from above (the Holy Spirit) to be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and ends of earth...
Then two things connected - people aren't really interested in Evangelism. Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, wrote in his book "The Coming Revival" that less than 2% of Christians share their faith regularly. If they aren't interested in being a witness for Jesus then I got to wondering if they have ever received (or been baptized in) the Holy Spirit.

So, here is the poll. Definitions:
1) For Baptism in the Holy Spirit see the following...
Acts 1:5, Acts 2:38, Acts 8:14-25, Acts10:44-48, Acts 11:16, Acts 19:1-7. By scripture, there is a distinction between salvation (believing the good news and trusting in Jesus) and being filled or baptized with the Holy Spirit (for the work of the ministry). I guess that's debateable in certain circles but just go with it for this poll.
2) Sharing faith - talking about God, scripture, doctrines, the gospel, etc. Sharing faith must include preaching Romans 10:14 not just living a certain lifestyle.
3) "Regularly" - around 3 times a week sounds reasonable. Once a week is acceptable too, there's 52 weeks in a year. That's 52 people to hear the good news!
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

To evangelize = work

Bible study or concert = no work

Simple human tendencies.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

While every aspect of Christian life is important, I think different people have a particular gifting and burden in a particular area(s). P MD, yours could be in evangelism - you certainly are very enthusiastic about it - very commendable, exciting and often risky ministry.

Every Christian is called to evangelism, but not to be an evangelist. hence the varying degrees of enthusiasm. I personally think that it should be done with the discernable power of the Holy Spirit.

Also, a thing to note - churches which often over-emphasise on evangelism, tend to neglect discipleship and support to mature Christians.

However, I do feel that having an evangelistic attitude is essentail for a fulfilling Christian life.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Acts 8:1,4
Acts 11:19

I'll agree with you that not everyone is called to be an Evangelist (someone who trains and equips the body of Christ to preach to gospel) as described in the five fold ministry of Eph 4:11, we are all called to evangelize. Acts 8:1 + 4 is my favorite verse to quote here because it says that all were scattered abroad because of the persecution and preaching the word (vs. 4).

Sometimes people like to just quote Mark 16:15 when it comes to evangelism but I think, like you commented, it lacks the discipleship avenue that's so crucial for Christian growth. Although there are instances like Phillip being caught up in the Spirit, explaining the gospel to the ethiopian eunuch, then disappearing (what, no follow up??). I think Mat 28:19,20 explains better the teaching aspect of the gospel. That would fall more in line with our modern day discipleship definiton as well as why Paul was always visiting temples on the Sabbath.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

Paul's model with the gentile churches was to appoint teachers and elders and then move on. He got feedback and then wrote epistles and/or visited them.

Churches have to provide the necessary infrastructure for new Christians to help them walk the Christian Way. How many have this in place or have the faith to have this in place, in anticipation? This could mean an increase in capacity for services - not to 'steal' members from other Churches, but add to their numbers the converts God gives them.

Sometimes I think God would let an evangelistic revival break out in a place only if the Churches are ready for it, in every sense. Saying that, God always surprises me the way He gets His work on earth done - however, He does need Christ's body's help.