Prayer or Placebo?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Prayer or Placebo?

Post by For_Narniaaa »

I stumbled across an article on another Christian website that was explaining why, if Christianity was the true religion, some people who believe in magic or practice occult practices are sometimes healed. They then went on to talk about placebo, and how any kind of faith can result in healing, simply because of that hope. They even added at the end that sometimes placebos work if the patient doubts the treatment method. I don't understand; how could a placebo work if you doubted it? Doesn't that go against the definition? And how can we know that the many miraculous healings in the Bible, and in the Church today aren't just placebo?

I never questioned this before, because I knew a story of an atheist who was healed by intercessory prayer and then believed, but then the line about placebo working even in doubt made me wonder...

Any thoughts, rebuttals, etc.?

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Prayer or Placebo?

Post by ageofknowledge »

Nicky Cruz, a world famous Christian evangelist today, was baptized and dedicated as a son of the devil by his witch mother and warlock father in Puerto Rico upon his birth and recounts occassionally his father's occult magic would heal someone of a physical malady (not usually though). He explained that the devil would sometimes let this happen to further his reach on those who heard of it. The person who was "healed" inevitably suffered spiritually as a result through either demonic oppression or possession for putting himself under that authority. Check out Nicky's testimony. It's powerful.

There are both good and evil spiritual forces at work. God=good. Devil=bad.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

In the Bible it talks about both God's miricels and the devil's. He can use those to decive you and make you think that you don't need Christ when something else works.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
waynepii
Valued Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

The "placebo effect" is a well-known and documented effect. It shows up in most double blind clinical trials of new drugs etc.

There is also a tendency among "believers" (in most anything) to find "proofs" of their belief. Add in a bit of enhancement and/or elaboration and you have made a "miracle" from what is usually a fairly "normal" event. Certainly, not all miracles can be so easily explained, but many can be.