Atheist Toolbox : has someone the guts to go that trough ?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Atheist Toolbox : has someone the guts to go that trough ?

Post by Gman »

godslanguage wrote::mrgreen:
:P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Gman wrote:
godslanguage wrote: As far as I can tell, Buddhist teaching doesn't concern itself with these types of issues, such as ultimate causes, rather it appears its nothing more then the religion of handwaving (this might also explain why atheism is a distant second away from Buddhism) that focuses more on the individual then it does on the divine, contrary to what you say.
This is quite accurate godslanguage,

In a recent conversation with the Dalai Lama, he put Buddhism this way...
I'm still not sure it is accurate to say it focuses more on he individual than the divine. It's just that the one sees the divine in the Christian god and another sees the divine in the Buddha nature. I've always had the urge to associate Buddhism with the Christian idea that the kingdom of god is within you...taken to a bit of an extreme.
Gman wrote: I'll admit that it is a hard image to shake.. But if we want to be historically accurate, I think the overwhelming evidence would reveal the contrary. I personally enjoy it when I see African nations paint Christ as a black man, or the Chinese paint Christ as a Chinese man. I think every culture should have a stake in God and paint him the way they want with their own cultural influences or customs... I think our idea of God should be all encompassing to all nations..
Indeed.

Like the story of the astronaut who upon returning to earth was asked if he had seen god: "Yes, she is black".
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Proinsias wrote:I'm still not sure it is accurate to say it focuses more on he individual than the divine. It's just that the one sees the divine in the Christian god and another sees the divine in the Buddha nature. I've always had the urge to associate Buddhism with the Christian idea that the kingdom of god is within you...taken to a bit of an extreme.
I would agree with that... I do think that Christianity is a search internally and externally, I would believe however that Buddhism is more of a search internally or realizing the god within (more introverted). A bit different from Christianity where the heart is found dark. Now you could focus the Buddhist aspect on humanity as being divine.. Christ also did this with people... When you did this to others you were doing it to me.. So you could say it was similar here...
Proinsias wrote:Indeed.

Like the story of the astronaut who upon returning to earth was asked if he had seen god: "Yes, she is black".
:P

Edit:

In Isaiah 42:14 it has God saying, “I cry out like a travailing woman,” and in Isaiah 66:13, God promised, “As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you.” These are but a few examples of God's image we can gather from the Bible...

God is simply spirit possessing both male and female attributes... He is more known in his male attributes, but is not physically either male or female for that matter...

Here is an example where God refers to himself to being like a "green pine tree" (in Hosea: 14:8.). So maybe God is a tree? Who knows..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
ElShamah
Familiar Member

Post by ElShamah »

I have opened a week ago a own forum :

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/

the goal is to organize and unite information and compelling evidence for the existence of the God of the bible

it will take however a lot of time to unite all the content i am intending, i am just in the beginning now.

Angelo
jerry
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jerry »

ElShamah wrote:I have opened a week ago a own forum :

http://elshamah.heavenforum.com/

the goal is to organize and unite information and compelling evidence for the existence of the God of the bible

it will take however a lot of time to unite all the content i am intending, i am just in the beginning now.

Angelo
I have been on Atheist Toolbox for some time now and there are a couple of them "Darque," and "Inarai" who are really venomous. They pick on anything and everything. I used the words "civil law" today to refer to "civilian law" and Darque blew it all out of proportion and tried to make it sound like I was saying that criminal court and civil court were one and the same. I spent 11 years in law enforcement and I knew the difference, but he wouldn't listen. I have been gathering information from them for quite some time now. Actually I have learned quite abit from them, about what they believe.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Godless unhappy souls deceived by the devil. Really, can you expect any other kind of behavior from such?
jerry
Familiar Member

Post by jerry »

ageofknowledge wrote:Godless unhappy souls deceived by the devil. Really, can you expect any other kind of behavior from such?
Well, one on that forum has contacted me and has stated, on the forum, that I have caused him to think about some things. He told me in a private message that he was glad that I stayed on the forum because now he is reading his Bible, something he wasn't doing before. It looks hopeful.

In Christ Jesus
Jerry D. McDonald
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

Hi Jerry,

You certainly have given me some things to think about. This place has given me a lot of stuff to digest from what I would consider a more liberal Christianity and your posting over at the Toolbox is the first time I've really heard anyone go into depth about inerrant scripture and YEC. I find it interesting.

Not to nit pick too much but I believe the pm I sent you over on the Toolbox did thank you for sticking around but enclosed a link within the text to elsewhere on the net as the source for my renewed interest in reading the bible, hence my turning up here a few months ago although mainly lurking these days.
ageofknowledge wrote:Godless unhappy souls deceived by the devil. Really, can you expect any other kind of behavior from such?
Again pretty much a mirror image of what is said about Christian forums on atheist ones.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Proinsias wrote:Hi Jerry,

You certainly have given me some things to think about. This place has given me a lot of stuff to digest from what I would consider a more liberal Christianity and your posting over at the Toolbox is the first time I've really heard anyone go into depth about inerrant scripture and YEC. I find it interesting.

Not to nit pick too much but I believe the pm I sent you over on the Toolbox did thank you for sticking around but enclosed a link within the text to elsewhere on the net as the source for my renewed interest in reading the bible, hence my turning up here a few months ago although mainly lurking these days.
Again pretty much a mirror image of what is said about Christian forums on atheist ones.
Dialectic but without the materialism :lol:
jerry
Familiar Member

Post by jerry »

Okay, I didn't see a link. I'll go back and look. That doesn't mean anything. I have cateracs and they can't operate because my tear ducts don't work properly since I went through cancer treatment in 2000. Where was the link?
jerry
Familiar Member

Post by jerry »

Okay, I found it. I saved it and will go back and read it later. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jerry wrote: Well, one on that forum has contacted me and has stated, on the forum, that I have caused him to think about some things. He told me in a private message that he was glad that I stayed on the forum because now he is reading his Bible, something he wasn't doing before. It looks hopeful.

In Christ Jesus
Jerry D. McDonald
Nice work Jerry.. I had my doubts before, this message is hopeful... :clap:

jerry
Familiar Member

Post by jerry »

Gman wrote:
jerry wrote: Well, one on that forum has contacted me and has stated, on the forum, that I have caused him to think about some things. He told me in a private message that he was glad that I stayed on the forum because now he is reading his Bible, something he wasn't doing before. It looks hopeful.

In Christ Jesus
Jerry D. McDonald
Nice work Jerry.. I had my doubts before, this message is hopeful... :clap:
I misunderstood his private message. The thread he was talking about was blog on Mark. I didn't see the link at first. That is why he is reading his Bible. But whatever reason he is reading I am glad.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

jerry wrote:Okay, I found it. I saved it and will go back and read it later. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No bother Jerry. I'll try and remember to not hide links in the body of the text in any future correspondence.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

ageofknowledge wrote:Dialectic but without the materialism :lol:
A little common ground is better than nothing I suppose :)