Vegetarian

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
godslanguage

Vegetarian

Post by godslanguage »

Humans seem to be designed to be herbivores (flat nails, teeth etc...). I've never thought about it much but now that I've thought about it I think its time to switch to consuming strictly fruits, vegetables and you know, all that healthy stuff and without the bloody mess.
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Although God states that we should rule over all animals I don't see how that would imply we should also butcher them for the sake of our taste buds.
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
Since God makes its explicit here I think its safe to say that we are really intended to be vegetarians even if there is some exception.

I'm going to miss all those Sunday BBQ's.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Vegetarian

Post by cslewislover »

But then he told Noah that He gave humans the animals to eat (Gen 9:2-3). Ha ha, after he just saved them all. y:-? I had a really fresh double teriyaki burger from Carl's Jr last week (the double is better than the single), and it was about as good as the Hawaii Burger from Islands. Very yummy. There are fruits and vegetables on these burgers, with the meat in the middle. You could think of it as a meat-stuffed vegetarian burger. Maybe. Just close your eyes.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

But then he told Noah that He gave humans the animals to eat (Gen 9:2-3). Ha ha, after he just saved them all.
God would be providing food for humans in the long run ( as the animal population would grow ) by saving His creation. My point though is that originally we were intended to be herbivores, the exception to omnivore status came after.

Meat (cows etc...) tastes good, but cows eat hay/dried grass. Humans are unable to digest grass but cows are basically a high concentration of protein while grass (vegetables etc...) a less concentration and much less fat overall.

Imagine saving all those poor animals ( they want to live too you know ), saving all those people from early heart attacks caused by obesity and avoiding pandemics such as new flu strains caused by densely populated human to animal interaction.

The fact that these animals are so brilliantly designed I think they deserve a bit more respect.
"Is it possible that God is not just an Engineer, but also a divine Artist who creates at times solely for His enjoyment? Maybe the Creator really does like beetles." RTB
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Yeah, I understand, and I have considered this in the past. I just don't think I could do it, though. And isn't fish so good for us? I say that because I love sushi, and would find that hard to give up!
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

cslewislover wrote:Yeah, I understand, and I have considered this in the past. I just don't think I could do it, though. And isn't fish so good for us? I say that because I love sushi, and would find that hard to give up!
Sushi is wonderful and addicting. I had to give it up. Can't afford such luxuries anymore. Beans and rice mostly. Forms a perfect protein when eaten together so you don't have to eat meat.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

ageofknowledge wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Yeah, I understand, and I have considered this in the past. I just don't think I could do it, though. And isn't fish so good for us? I say that because I love sushi, and would find that hard to give up!
Sushi is wonderful and addicting. I had to give it up. Can't afford such luxuries anymore. Beans and rice mostly. Forms a perfect protein when eaten together so you don't have to eat meat.
:( I hope you get to have some again. I'm sure you will.
erawdrah
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by erawdrah »

I have been thinking the same way too. I know there are some "Biblical" diets out there but I think there's something to this idea. I have read some books that claim we should be eating the seeds of the fruits, like peaches and apricots and apples. Then I read that those seeds have cyanide in them. Then I read were you would have to eat 60-100 of them to suffer any from poisoning. I have just recently started to eat non processed foods or those that have real ingredients and staying away from red meat. No more High Fructose Corn Syrup, aspartame, etc. Has anyone done something like this?
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

cslewislover wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:
Oh I probably will. Who knows what the future holds on this earth. I don't. I had to sell my crystal ball to a Republican shark to get my rice and beans. I hear he's using it to make a fortune and keeping it all for himself. Such is life.

godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

ageofknowledge wrote:
cslewislover wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:
Oh I probably will. Who knows what the future holds on this earth. I don't. I had to sell my crystal ball to a Republican shark to get my rice and beans. I hear he's using it to make a fortune and keeping it all for himself. Such is life.

Hopefully things will work out for you, wish you all the best.

God bless!