Day-Age / Progressive Creationist

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
WConn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Day-Age / Progressive Creationist

Post by WConn »

I just want to be sure that I know where I stand and that I stand where I wish to be. The Day-Age/Progressive Creationist position is one I find acceptable, their views blend more acceptably with my understanding of science and my personal beliefs. With respect to the creation of humans, I understand that they believe the following:

Pre-Adam Humans
Progressive Creationists believe that there is no way around death, disease, and blood-shed before Adam & Eve committed the original sin. Even in the most stable and fool-proof environment, there would be ways to be scratched and poked.
In addition, progressive creationists believe that it is never specified that there was no meat to be eaten—they were given grass and vegetation, but it never ruled out meat. Therefore, there were predators and prey.
“ Dr. Ross:
"Starting about 2 to 4 million years ago, God began creating man-like mammals or 'hominids.' These creatures stood on two feet, had large brains, and used tools. Some even buried their dead and painted on cave walls.
"However, they were different from us. They did not worship God or establish religious practices. In time, all these man-like creatures went extinct. Then, about 10 to 25 thousand years ago, God replaced them with Adam and Eve." (Reasons To Believe Web Site, updated July 8, 1997) [1]

Is this a generally accepted position of the Day Age Progressive Creationist?
Is this consistent with the Bible?

Walt
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Day-Age / Progressive Creationist

Post by Gabrielman »

I don't think I can answer your question, but I can say I am an old earth creationist myself. I actually became that way from this site and the articles here. I believe that the days are figurtive ment to represent many years. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/day-age.html try this link. Maybe that will help. Sorry I couldn't be of much use :| . As always God bless!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
WConn
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by WConn »

Gabrielman,

Thank you for your input. I read that link and I guess the question I have as to my original post is about the comment as follows:

""Starting about 2 to 4 million years ago, God began creating man-like mammals or 'hominids.' These creatures stood on two feet, had large brains, and used tools. Some even buried their dead and painted on cave walls.
"However, they were different from us. They did not worship God or establish religious practices. In time, all these man-like creatures went extinct. Then, about 10 to 25 thousand years ago, God replaced them with Adam and Eve." (Reasons To Believe Web Site, updated July 8, 1997) [1]"

Is God playing with us? I think that a rational human being who believes in God would conclude that science gets it right on occasion. We seem to be trying to reconcile the Bible with Science which is acceptable in my mind, but not in the minds of some of my Christian friends.

W
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

WConn wrote:Gabrielman,

Thank you for your input. I read that link and I guess the question I have as to my original post is about the comment as follows:

""Starting about 2 to 4 million years ago, God began creating man-like mammals or 'hominids.' These creatures stood on two feet, had large brains, and used tools. Some even buried their dead and painted on cave walls.
"However, they were different from us. They did not worship God or establish religious practices. In time, all these man-like creatures went extinct. Then, about 10 to 25 thousand years ago, God replaced them with Adam and Eve." (Reasons To Believe Web Site, updated July 8, 1997) [1]"

Is God playing with us? I think that a rational human being who believes in God would conclude that science gets it right on occasion. We seem to be trying to reconcile the Bible with Science which is acceptable in my mind, but not in the minds of some of my Christian friends.

W
I don't think at all that God is playing with us. I think that much of what we view with regards to typical interpretation of Genesis is that the absence of this being mentioned in Genesis indicates that it couldn't have occurred. And then you have some very strange attempts of interpretation these hominid/ape fossils (oh, they were mutants, or that you can't interpet when there ar eso few, etc. ).

I don't think there is any issue at all with there being ape like hominids. Doesn't at all mean that they were human or that there were in the image of God.

I think, too, we need to be careful not to misinterpret "reconciling" the science and scripture. To many CHristians this indicates a compromise of scripture. And certainly I am one who would stress that we can't compromise scripture. None of this compromises scripture, however, and we need to go back to the idea that the creation is a trust-worthy testimony to God.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"