Days with mornings and evenings

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Days with mornings and evenings

Post by voicingmaster »

Just a question about OEC. OEC makes more sense than YEC in almost every way, but, how can they be ages when they have mornings and evenings?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

They don't. Some of the Church Fathers admitted they had no idea what the meaning of "evening and morning" was. From a grammatical point of view, the sentences don't read right.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

From a grammatical point of view, the sentences don't read right.
Bah! It is only out of order since you seem to be seeing things in a morning-day-evening fashion....but it's really a chain...morning-day-evening-morning-day-etc....You can start anywhere, since the beginning of morning is the end of the evening, etc...And especially since this is the first day, and God creates the light on this day, obviously, the day begins with the evening, and when God makes the light, there is the morning.

Matthew Henry:
The evening and the morning were the first day. The darkness of the evening was before the light of the morning, that it might serve for a foil to it, to set it off, and make it shine the brighter. This was not only the first day of the world, but the first day of the week. I observe it to the honour of that day, because the new world began on the first day of the week likewise, in the resurrection of Christ, as the light of the world, early in the morning. In him the day-spring from on high has visited the world; and happy are we, for ever happy, if that day-star arise in our hearts
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
Bah! It is only out of order since you seem to be seeing things in a morning-day-evening fashion....but it's really a chain...morning-day-evening-morning-day-etc....You can start anywhere, since the beginning of morning is the end of the evening, etc...And especially since this is the first day, and God creates the light on this day, obviously, the day begins with the evening, and when God makes the light, there is the morning.

Matthew Henry:
The evening and the morning were the first day. The darkness of the evening was before the light of the morning, that it might serve for a foil to it, to set it off, and make it shine the brighter. This was not only the first day of the world, but the first day of the week. I observe it to the honour of that day, because the new world began on the first day of the week likewise, in the resurrection of Christ, as the light of the world, early in the morning. In him the day-spring from on high has visited the world; and happy are we, for ever happy, if that day-star arise in our hearts
How come the last day doesn't end with an evening and a morning?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Because by then the reader has gotten the rhythm....and needs no more help?

I'm going to work this out....

Light made
Evening/morning
Day 1) heaven (atmosphere?) made, and possibly referring to atmosphere and hydrosphere, but that's for another time
Evening/morning
Day 2) Dry land, vegetation
Evening/morning
Day 3) Moon, stars, sun
Evening/morning
Day 4) sea monsters (dinosaurs? :P ), sea life, birds, all living creatures of everything but land I'm reading...
Evening/morning
Day 5) Land creatures, and man (hhhmmm....I was told man was the 6th day...but that's what the Bible says....)
Evening/morning
Day 6) Everything else (Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.) It is possible this is referring to the unobservable creation-such as maybe the angels are created here, or maybe God went to work on the earth's interior....I am definately not sure.
Day 7) Rest

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

For the Evening/Morning cycle, it should be pointed out that the 6th day has it too. The 7th day doesn't, and a good number of Day-Age'rs would claim to you that we are currently IN the 7th day. Remember each day is day is flexible, from years to possibly billions of years.

Voicing, check out this page from this site. It should clear up your questions regarding Day-Age and it's interpretation of scripture. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/day-age.html
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I could kill myself....I goofed big time. After I shut off the computer, I was just sitting in bed, trying to figure out what went wrong....

Light made, then evening/morning, and that was the end of the first day....that sounds better...just apply it down the line...
7th day doesn't, and a good number of Day-Age'rs would claim to you that we are currently IN the 7th day.
The only thing is that God rested on that day, so the verb is in the past-and not only that, that would mean God is still resting, which would leave you at being a deist....God is there, but He's not concerned, He's the clock winder, that's it.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

He rested from Creation, not all of His activities...
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

What Mastermind said... and Scripture supports God's seventh day as continuing to this very day. Nowhere does Scripture say the seventh day has ended, yet for all other days in God's creation a definite end is given.

Additionally, in Psalm 95:7-11 we read a message from God to Israel:
Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried me, though they had seen what I did.
For forty years I was angry with that generation; I said, "They are a people whose hearts go astray, and they have not known my ways."
So I declared on oath in my anger, "They shall never enter my rest."
Question: How was it possible for Israel to enter God's rest if it had ended?

Hebrews 4:1,3-6,9-11:
1 Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST," although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";
5 and again in this passage, "THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST."
6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,
9 So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.
11 Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.
Several notes of significance. In verse 1, it talks of entering God's rest. In verses 3 and 4, God's rest is associated with the same one at the end of God's creation. In verse 6, it is then pointed out that some (i.e., us) remain to enter that rest!

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Re: Days with mornings and evenings

Post by Kurieuo »

voicingmaster wrote:Just a question about OEC. OEC makes more sense than YEC in almost every way, but, how can they be ages when they have mornings and evenings?
I recommend the following page which deals with it in great depth: The Biblical Creation Days of Genesis by Jim Schicatano.

Kurieuo.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:

Matthew Henry:
The answer to that is on this very site. We're still in day #7. The apocalypse is day #8, creationally speaking.
Dan
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Dan »

I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to dare say "evening and morning" refers to the end of a major era in the creation of the Earth and the beginning of the next one, each era being a day. Evening is the previous day's activities ending and morning is the start of the next day's activities. The 7th day had it's morning but the evening (and presumably the end of the Earth as we know it) has not come yet.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote:
Mastermind wrote:

Matthew Henry:
The answer to that is on this very site. We're still in day #7. The apocalypse is day #8, creationally speaking.
I know. My question was towards Kmart.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Does there need to be one? I mean, after the 7th day, the Creation week is over.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Does there need to be one? I mean, after the 7th day, the Creation week is over.
I'm inclined to agree, as the symbolism behind the number '7' represents completeness. I'm not sure I believe there is an 8th, although I am open to it and can understand why some classify God's new creation as the end of God's rest (the seventh day) so this implies an 8th day. Yet, then the seven days loose their meaning of completeness.

Additionally, the new kingdom is built from us (the Church), and Christ is the cornerstone. We enter into God's rest in Christ, we become completed in Christ. I just don't know how I'd reconcile 8 days with the completeness found in 7, as it means 7 doesn't really symbolise completeness afterall. This is why I lean a little against calling the new kingdom an 8th day, but I think the matter trivial.

Kurieuo.