Please complete an anonymous contemporary worldview survey

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Please complete an anonymous contemporary worldview survey

Post by ageofknowledge »

I need your help. Please go to http://www.christianshelpingourworld.org/ and download the survey. It is in Word .doc format and completely anonymous. Complete the survey and email it back to me at: ageofknowledge@hotmail.com

Please be through in your responses. I will post a summary of the results after I have collected 90 surveys and processed them so you can see how others answered.

THANK YOU!
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Please complete an anonymous contemporary worldview survey

Post by jlay »

AOK,

I looked through your survey. I think there are some things you should probably refine. Most people don't use the term pagan, and even your average Christian would have no idea what you are talking about in regard to a "pagan" in the 21st century. Maybe define some things clearer, and drop or combine a few questions.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:AOK,

I looked through your survey. I think there are some things you should probably refine. Most people don't use the term pagan, and even your average Christian would have no idea what you are talking about in regard to a "pagan" in the 21st century. Maybe define some things clearer, and drop or combine a few questions.
And it's too general. It would take hours to complete such a survey. Multiple choice or yes/no answers would be easier to complete and much easier to summarize.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

I'll define paganism which is a good idea thank you for that; however, my instructor insists I ask these sorts of open ended questions and to this detail. I just got one back. I took it and it takes about 30 minutes to an hour to complete if you summarize your answers. Send it in. t is appreciated. Peace.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Thank you those of you who sent them in. I need a few more. Please send them in if you haven't already. Thank you again those of you who have already. It is appreciated.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Survey Closed. Now to choose a style, write up the paper, and submit it for a grade. Thanks all of you who helped. May God bless you for taking the time to help me. Peace.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Though late in coming, here are the most important sections of my paper as promised. I've condensed everything down to make it shorter and more to the point for you.

Contemporary Worldviews
Introduction and History

A formal definition of a worldview would be the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing natural philosophy, fundamental existential and normative postulates or themes, values, emotions, and ethics. In other words, a worldview is how one sees life and the world at large. It includes one's comprehensive conception of reality, the universe, the world, and humanity (Wikipedia, 2009).

Each person has a worldview which they exercise to make sense of life and interpret the world around them. Depending on how well a person's worldview aligns with reality determines whether or not their worldview brings them clarity or a distortion of reality and hence their decision-making ability.
Palmer (1998) explains:

"Through our worldview, we determine priorities, explain our relationship to God and fellow human beings, assess the meaning of events, and justify our actions." A person's worldview provides a general context for life, including a vision of what one considers authentically real.
More than just an interpretive lens, a worldview perspective shapes, influences, and generally directs a person's entire life. Because people behave as they believe, their worldviews guide the development of the values that inform their decisions and actions.

Each person who seeks to live a balanced and meaningful life based on realistic values must think about basic and critical questions. One's worldview attempts to answer them, functioning like a chart to navigate the journey of information critical to life. A worldview can be seen as a "road map" that supplies directions that guide a person's life decisions (Samples, 2007).

Samples (2007) outlines some basic questions that each person should attempt to answer in their worldview asking:

“What ultimate reality exists? What kind of God, if any, actually exists? Is there anything beyond the cosmos? What can be known, and how can anyone know it? Where did I come from? Who am I? Where am I? How should I live? What should I consider of great worth? Does humanity have a fundamental problem, and if so, what is it? How can humanity's problem be solved? What is the meaning and direction of history? Will I survive the death of my body and, if so, in what state?”

Many world-class theologians, philosophers, scientists, researchers, etc… from a variety of cultures throughout history have attempted to answer these questions and develop a beneficial view of the world. The author will examine various individuals from different worldview positions and attempt to determine if their worldviews affect their decision-making and through that the world we all live in using interviewing techniques. Interview respondents included Christians, agnostics, Muslims, atheists, and pagans, in that order, with Christians representing most of those interviewed and pagans representing the fewest number of those interviewed.

The Spirit World
Area 1. God and the Spirit World

Respondents were asked what their worldview is and how they came to that position. They were asked specifically if they believed their worldview influenced the decisions they make, how they interrelate with other people, who they choose to associate with, and interestingly if they socialize with others whose worldviews conflict with their own. They were also asked if they believed in God, in a spirit world, and if so how they imagine it as being, how they relate to it, and how it makes them feel.

Most believe in God though their explanation of God varied as did the ways in which they came to a belief that God exists. Some were taught that God exists from an early age and maintained that belief, some came to believe in God, and a couple were taught God exists and then rejected the assertion that God exists.

Interestingly, all of the respondents believe their view of the world affects their decision-making. Most asserted that it also affected who they choose to socialize with. Just as interestingly, all asserted they do socialize with at least one person whose view of the world conflicts with their own.

Most believed in a spiritual world/spiritual dimension. However, their view of what this is varied. Most felt this aligned with monotheistic texts such as the Bible or the Koran; however, notably the pagans viewed it within the context of paganism and agnostics were far less specific. Christians, Muslims, and pagans interrelate the strongest with the spirit world. The number one way of relating to the spirit world was through prayer followed by ritual and all those that believed in a spirit world said it made them feel good. None brought up the topic of hell in response to this question.

Area 2. Jesus
Interviewees were asked how they perceived Jesus, whether or not they felt he was a real historical figure and if so was he the son of God, whether they felt Jesus could communicate with people today and if he communicated with them. If Jesus does communicate with them they were asked if this affects their decision-making, personal conduct, and ethics. Finally they were asked if they saw any connection between Jesus' teachings and the society they live in.

Christians and Muslims saw Jesus as more than just a real historical figure. Only Christians believed he was the son of God. One atheist felt he may not even have existed but did not know for sure. All others felt he existed as a real historical figure. Only Christians believed Jesus could talk to people today and talked with them personally in a spiritual way asserting it did affect their decisions, personal conduct, and ethics. Muslims believed he was a prophet and that God spoke only through prophets Muhammad being the last and greatest prophet; however, since Jesus was a minor prophet that he did affect their personal conduct and ethics. Atheists said no he couldn't and didn't speak to humanity or them and didn't affect their decision-making and the pagans were simply unsure. All admitted there were connections between Jesus teaching and the society they live in due to the heavy emphasis of Christianity on Western Civilization.

Area 3. Evil
Also asked of respondents was what they thought about evil, whether or not they felt evil was a serious problem, what the remedy for evil was, and how could that remedy be applied in each of their lives.

The Christians believe evil existed and didn't like it yet asserted it played a part in a better eternal good. Their definition of evil came from the Bible and Christian theology. The Muslims believe in evil and thought it needed to be stamped out. Their definition of evil came from the Koran and Muslim theology. The atheists didn't believe in evil. The Pagans had a different view of evil altogether. The remedy for Christians was the gospel of Jesus Christ that could be applied in their lives. For the Muslims it was Muslim teaching that could be applied in their lives. The atheists didn't believe in evil and the Pagans felt good and evil were the same thing as different sides of the same coin are.

Interaction with the Spirit World
Area 1. Revelation

Respondents were asked what sources of revelation they believed in, whether or not they believed in divine revelation and if so to both give an example and explain how it was revealed.

Christians responded they believe the Bible is divine revelation, Muslims believe the Koran and the Hadith (a collection of oral traditions relating to the words and deeds of the prophet Muhammad) to be divine revelation, atheists didn't believe in divine revelation, and pagans believe in personal divine revelation. Christians believe divine revelation is a result of God speaking through men while Muslims believed it is a result of God speaking through prophets. Pagans asserted they receive divine revelation directly from the spirit world.

Area 2. Worship
Interviewees were asked whether or not they worship and if so how they worship, what the view as being central to a worship experience, and if their worship reflects Biblical ideals of worship.

Christians responded that worship is at the heart of their relationship with God, both as individuals and a community. In worship they focus on God and on hearing a message based on the Bible, on prayer, and on the sacraments. The Muslims responded that worship is only for the sake of the worshipper and that the institution of Islamic prayer is highly developed. All the purposes mentioned in relation to the philosophy of worship and the manner in which a Muslim is required to conduct his prayer, makes it manifestly clear that the benefit of prayer is drawn by the worshipper himself and in no way can it be taken as a favor to God, who in Muslim thought, does not stand in need of men's' praises. Atheists asserted they don't worship. The many forms of Pagan worship vary widely and may be collective or solitary consisting of informal prayer or meditation, or of formal, structured rituals through which the participants affirm their deep spiritual connection with nature, honoring their gods and goddesses, and celebrating the seasonal festivals of the turning year and the rites of passage of human life.

Area 3. Coping
They were also asked to explain suffering, war, and disease as well as where they draw strength from during times of crisis and whether or not the human condition of suffering in the world made faith in God difficult for them.

Christians responded these things came about as a result of the fall (e.g. sin entering the world) and the solution was the gospel of Jesus Christ whom they drew strength from during times of crisis. Muslims believe that good, evil, and whatever happens in this world happens by Allah's will and that only Allah knows fully his own will. Finite beings cannot grasp fully Allah's infinite will and wisdom. He runs his universe the way he deems fit. They did assert cause and effect; however, and that sufferings occur to teach us that we must adhere to Allah's natural and moral laws. They also asserted that suffering is sometimes to punish those who violate Allah's natural or moral laws and to test their faith in Allah. Muslims also maintained it was to test their commitment to human values and charity. Atheists said they drew on the support of friends and family primarily. Pagans saw suffering and evil as two separate issues. Suffering is an experiential reality and evil is an abstract concept.

Religious Faith
Area 1. Christianity

Respondents were asked to briefly describe what Christianity is and to share any good and/or bad perspectives they had of Christianity. They were asked if they had observed the decisions Christians make as being influenced by the Christian worldview. Finally they were asked how they envisioned a world without Christianity.

Christians were quite clear that Christianity is God's provision for the restoration of the relationship between God and humanity through the person and work of Jesus Christ. Of course, they had different and varied ways of communicating this. They fully admitted that their decision-making was influenced by their belief system and thought this was a good thing. Christians asserted that a world without Christianity was a lost world. Muslims felt that Christianity was a system of belief that strayed from Allah's will and that a world without Christianity would be a good thing. Atheists felt a world without Christianity would be beneficial; however, one asserted the interaction between atheism and Christianity was more beneficial than either one by itself. Pagans felt a world without Christianity would be beneficial to their view of the world.

Area 2. Paganism
Interviewees were asked to briefly describe what paganism is and to share any good and/or bad perspectives they had of paganism. They were asked if they had observed the decisions pagans make as being influenced by the pagan worldview. Finally they were asked how they envisioned a world without paganism.

There was some confusion among the Christians interviewed as to what exactly paganism is; however, as we worked through the interview process they understood it included religions that were polytheist and pantheistic. They felt pagans were deceived and misguided in worshipping the creation but appreciated their respect of creation. Muslims did not want to discuss the pagan sources that influenced Islam and expressed that pagans were cut off from God until their conversion to Islam. The atheists interviewed did not believe in the supernatural. The pagans themselves were a mixed lot with quite a few varied views with one insisting he was a heathen not a pagan.

Area 3. Atheism
Subjects were also asked to briefly describe what atheism is and to share any good and/or bad perspectives they had of atheism. They were asked if they had observed the decisions atheists make as being influenced by the atheistic worldview. Finally they were asked how they envisioned a world without atheism.

All agreed atheism was a disbelief in God with most insisting it was also a disbelief in the supernatural. All agreed that atheism influenced the decision-making of atheists including the atheists themselves. Only the atheists felt that a world without atheism would be a bad thing; however, one atheist felt the existence of atheism and some other world religions, specifically Christianity, made for a better world.

Conclusion

The interview results clearly provide strong evidence supporting my hypothesis that what a person believes influences their decision-making and behavior. This has wider consequences beyond one's own life affecting others and ultimately society and our world. It is therefore necessary to cultivate an environment where people are taught how to logically qualify worldviews so as to be in a position to make informed decisions.

As Christians, we believe God is directing history toward a new or restored creation where he reigns in love over a redeemed people who live in harmony with each other. The teaching of scripture is that all humanity is loved with an everlasting love which invites, calls, and motivates us to draw near to our Creator in love and to live our lives in a living relationship with God. However, most of the people in the world are not Christians and have all sorts of ideas about God, religion, life, and spirituality which for good or evil affect the decisions they make in how they live their lives to the politics they support.

No person is wholly spiritual or secular. Everyone has these components, the spiritual and the physical. These components affect how they raise their families, how they function in society, and they interface with political institutions. Family normally provides the context for personal living and is the first place which basic values are formed. Society widens the circle of influence upon one's life where manners, values, habits, associations, and attitudes that allow a people to function in the routine of life are developed. Government is the institution that makes human interaction work on a larger scale. It creates and maintains the infrastructure necessary for societies to function. Government possesses for its population questions about national allegiance, taxes, war, and legal prescriptions. Family, society, and political organization offer both guidance and restraints upon a person. These benefits and restraints are governed by a host of factors. Some work better than others. Some are rooted in truth while others are not. Desirable results are rooted in truth. The culture wars are over what this truth is and how it should be implemented (Enochs and Lynn, 2007).

But moral obligation is incompatible with ethical relativism. Ethical relativism is incoherent as a system and fails as a foundation for which a person or society can base moral values. Subjectivist ethics also fail to account for mankind's conscious awareness of moral obligation. Moral obligations are more than passing or culturally imposed impulses. In the end, the relativist approach to morality collapses because it lacks an adequate metaphysical basis like that found in Christianity.

Unlike secular humanism, Christianity is rooted in the holy, just, righteous, and loving nature of God. The Christian worldview thus provides a foundation and justification for absolute moral values something relativism simply cannot. One of the strongest evidences that Christianity is true is its ability to explain and justify the meaningful realities of life. And nothing is more central to human existence than absolute moral values. Though actually outlining the logic necessary to qualify worldviews is outside the scope of this paper the author recommends the reader take the time to qualify their own worldview using Kenneth Samples logical methodology found in his book titled 'A World of Difference' (Samples 2004).

In conclusion, we find that people's beliefs really matter influencing their decision-making which has an impact on the choices they make, how they interact with others, society, government, and ultimately our world. Since relativism cannot provide the basis upon which to ground these beliefs, worldviews that claim to possess this capacity must be properly qualified so accurate decision-making can occur leading to desirable results for individuals, their families, society and government, and ultimately the world.

References
Enochs, J. & Lynn, M. (2007). Being Christian in a Secular Society [Handout]. Brentwood, TN:
Nations University: Diploma in Divinity.
McDermott, G. R. (2007). God's Rivals: Why has God allowed different religions? Illinois:
Intervarsity Press.
Palmer, M. D. (1998). Elements of a Christian Worldview. Missouri: Logion Press.
Pothier, P. L. (2009). Comparative Worldview Interview Form. Contemporary Worldviews
MFI 6. Brentwood, TN: Nations University: Diploma in Divinity.
Samples, K. R. (2004). Without a doubt: Answering the 20 toughest faith questions. Michigan:
Baker Books.
Samples, K.R. (2007). A world of difference: Putting Christian truth-claims to the worldview test.
Michigan: Baker Books.
Wikipedia. (2005). Worldview. M.Div quick retrieval. Retrieved on October 12, 2009 from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_view