Can science and faith really coexist? Please convince me...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Can science and faith really coexist? Please convince me...

Post by touchingcloth »

They leap but not, however, to their deaths.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Byblos wrote:Cute? Maybe (eye of the beholder). Evidence of speciation? Hardly.
It's another scientific term... :roll:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
ModernAquinas
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by ModernAquinas »

Seeker79 wrote:I never said that the bible specifically claimed that the earth was the center of the universe. I'm just saying that the descriptions of nature in the bible reflect the narrowness in scope that the peoples of the world had at the time absent scientific instruments or complex mathematical calculations. Why would the word of god be restricted to such limited scope?
Seeker79,

You're confusing the purpose of Scripture by unnecessarily conflating things into one. Scripture is not to explain the scientific details, it's a testimony. Do you reference a cook-book about how to grow pumpkins? No. You just reference the cook-book on how to make the recipe involved in cooking and preparing those pumpkins. You find instructions on growing pumpkins from other sources. Scripture is prescriptive, and used for molding Godly character. If you wish for interpretation of how nature, and the environment around us, operate, consult scientific research, and other findings of the like. God didn't just create Scripture. He created nature, and the environment, as well as all the tools necessary to interpret them.

That's why it seems limited when comparing; because it's suppose to be. It even states at the end John's gospel that Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

The universe is an extension of Scripture. What's not in Scripture can be addressed by observation, and other experimental methods i.e. science. faith, and science have no conflicts; faith, and science as a faith, does.
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

ModernAquinas wrote:
Seeker79 wrote:I never said that the bible specifically claimed that the earth was the center of the universe. I'm just saying that the descriptions of nature in the bible reflect the narrowness in scope that the peoples of the world had at the time absent scientific instruments or complex mathematical calculations. Why would the word of god be restricted to such limited scope?
Seeker79,

You're confusing the purpose of Scripture by unnecessarily conflating things into one. Scripture is not to explain the scientific details, it's a testimony. Do you reference a cook-book about how to grow pumpkins? No. You just reference the cook-book on how to make the recipe involved in cooking and preparing those pumpkins. You find instructions on growing pumpkins from other sources. Scripture is prescriptive, and used for molding Godly character. If you wish for interpretation of how nature, and the environment around us, operate, consult scientific research, and other findings of the like. God didn't just create Scripture. He created nature, and the environment, as well as all the tools necessary to interpret them.

That's why it seems limited when comparing; because it's suppose to be. It even states at the end John's gospel that Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

The universe is an extension of Scripture. What's not in Scripture can be addressed by observation, and other experimental methods i.e. science. faith, and science have no conflicts; faith, and science as a faith, does.

Nice post, ModernAquinas. Welcome to the forum :wave: