Thanksgiving?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Thanksgiving?

Post by Gabrielman »

Is it just me, or does Thanksgiving not exist anymore? The instant Halloween was over, I watched Christmas things go up all over Wal-Mart. Not just there, but Target, and other stores too. It seems there are a bunch of Christmas commercials on too. This is disturbing. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. In fact winter is my favorite time of the year, but too much will just make you sick of it. There is Christmas music on the radio already, so what happened to Turkey Day? I love the history behind it, and who doesn't want to feast? What do you all think? Do we celebrate it anymore, or should we just jump straight to Christmas? Seriously, I am the only one wanting to decorate for it anymore. Some of my neighbors will soon have the lights up for Christmas, and the snow hasn't even begun to fall yet.

Either way.... HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Thanksgiving?

Post by zoegirl »

Oh, it's in Walmart....in the decorating and houseolds....don't you know? You have to have the perfect table setting :esurprised: :ebiggrin:

Not too many Thanksgiving songs...actually the Christmas songs get me in the mood for thanksgiving. I love this time of year as well and really enjoy thanksgiving, both for the family time and the thanksgiving.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

zoegirl wrote:Oh, it's in Walmart....in the decorating and houseolds....don't you know? You have to have the perfect table setting :esurprised: :ebiggrin:

Not too many Thanksgiving songs...actually the Christmas songs get me in the mood for thanksgiving. I love this time of year as well and really enjoy thanksgiving, both for the family time and the thanksgiving.
They still sell the thanksgiving things, yes, but it is so minor anymore. I wish the holiday was a bit more hyped. I refuse to listen to Christmas music till after thanksgiving. See when I was young Thanksgiving was a big thing. They still have a parade, but now it is just like an excuse to eat and watch football (nothing wrong with either of those things though! :ebiggrin: ) I just wish we put more of an emphasis on the holiday is all. I don't want to skip it and it seems overshadowed. Anymore though it isn't done by Christmas, it's done by X-mas, so no one will be offended :roll: ... you know aside from all the Christians who still call it Christmas... but that is a topic for another thread I supose.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

:D Maybe part of it is the stores want people to buy stuff sooner, so that the seasonal buying is spread out more. But I think it's just about buying! Lol. There isn't near as much buying associated with Thanksgiving.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Hmm, if you think about it, why hype a holiday that inherently asks people to be thankful *to* some thing....to whom are they thankful?

Other than to stress decorating tables?
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

There in lies the problem. It shouldn't be about buying, and they make Christmas into a shop holiday. If we focused on Thanksgiving first, would that really stop people from buying gifts early for Christmas? See my point is this, I have yet to see a single thanksgiving anything!!! After halloween it was Christmas. I just enjoy things a bit slower I guess, lol, but hey to each their own!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gabrielman wrote:There in lies the problem. It shouldn't be about buying, and they make Christmas into a shop holiday. If we focused on Thanksgiving first, would that really stop people from buying gifts early for Christmas? See my point is this, I have yet to see a single thanksgiving anything!!! After halloween it was Christmas. I just enjoy things a bit slower I guess, lol, but hey to each their own!
Well, they did have Thanksgiving Starbucks coffee at Target, and I bought some seasoned brine for turkeys at Cost Plus or whatever that place is. But yeah, the Christmas products really came out fast this year! In the area where I live, Thanksgiving is not emphasized at all, but Halloween is.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

:ebiggrin: Ya know what I am going to do? I am going to take a photo of my thanksgiving meal and post it here when the time comes!!! LOL, that will make things here a bit more festive!! I just hate the day after, lol cause I work at a store!!! I need to try that late, starbuck huh? That sounds good!!!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gabrielman wrote::ebiggrin: Ya know what I am going to do? I am going to take a photo of my thanksgiving meal and post it here when the time comes!!! LOL, that will make things here a bit more festive!! I just hate the day after, lol cause I work at a store!!! I need to try that late, starbuck huh? That sounds good!!!
Come on over and I'll brew you some of that Thanksgiving blend. y~o) + y~o)
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

:D That sounds nice!!!! y~o) y~o) Thanks!!!!
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

To me, they are so intertwined...I listen to christmas music the day of thanksgiving.

So many people don't enjoy thanksgiving because of family strife. it's tough, you know? I wonder if that's part of why it's not stressed as much...the family is not so cohesive anymore
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

zoegirl wrote:To me, they are so intertwined...I listen to christmas music the day of thanksgiving.

So many people don't enjoy thanksgiving because of family strife. it's tough, you know? I wonder if that's part of why it's not stressed as much...the family is not so cohesive anymore
:( Sad but true. But to me my family are those who I choose to be with, not nessecarily those I was born to. But still, I just miss the good old days, where I could go up and down the streets on the week of thanksgiving and see all the decorations, all the reds and oranges and browns of fall.... if only....
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Thanksgiving is HUGE in my family because for some reason because everyone loves to cook. Christmas has definitely been turned into a way for stores to make $$$$. The only holiday I can really recall as being faith-oriented anymore is Easter.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

In the old days, Thanksgiving was a chance to get drunk and fight people I didn't like that only came around once a year. :shakehead:

Today it is a chance to witness to unsaved family members. :)
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

The first Thanksgiving, celebrated by the Pilgrims, was also celebrated in the midst of great hardship and after much death. About 625,000 people died as the result of the Civil War. It was, by far, the deadliest war ever fought.

Thanksgiving Day Proclamation, 1863, by Abraham Lincoln

The year that is drawing toward its close has been filled with the blessings of fruitful years and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the Source from which they come, others have been added which are of so extraordinary a nature that they can not fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever-watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign states to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere, except in the theater of military conflict, while that theater has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.

Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the field of peaceful industry to the national defense have not arrested the plow, the shuttle, or the ship; the ax has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than theretofore. Population has steadily increased notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege, and the battlefield, and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged, as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and union.

In testimony wherof I have herunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

[Signed]
A. Lincoln