Question on Jesus sacrifice

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
checkwit
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Question on Jesus sacrifice

Post by checkwit »

I have been told by many Christians that Jesus died for our sins. But then he came back to life and went to heaven.
My question is that since he came back to life, is that really a sacrifice? Isn't he God and he knew that he cannot die?

Wouldn't most people be willing to die a few days if they can live forever in heaven?
Wouldn't Jesus' death have more meaning if he never came back to life?

Also, since he died for everybody, shouldn't everyone (believers and nonbelievers) be going to heaven?
I was told that Jesus died for everyone (both believers and nonbelievers).
If everyone is not going to heaven, then wouldn't his death be in vain, since Christians and believers are going to go to heaven anyways.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Question on Jesus sacrifice

Post by cslewislover »

checkwit wrote:I have been told by many Christians that Jesus died for our sins. But then he came back to life and went to heaven.
My question is that since he came back to life, is that really a sacrifice? Isn't he God and he knew that he cannot die?

Wouldn't most people be willing to die a few days if they can live forever in heaven?

Also, since he died for everybody, shouldn't everyone (believers and nonbelievers) be going to heaven?
If everyone is not going to heaven, then wouldn't his death be in vain, since Christians and believers are going to go to heaven anyways.
I like your questions, checkwit, and welcome to the board. I wondered about the sacrifice more, too, after I became a Christian. Before that, I just knew the story and accepted it, without understanding it.

Jesus was fully human, and while human, he didn't know everything, just what the Father revealed to him. It's clear from the bible that he knew he would die ahead of time, and that it greatly distressed him, like it would anyone else. It was incredibly painful and awful, like it would be for anyone. If Jesus never came back to life, then there was no point. Because it showed that we all, too, once our sins are washed away, will also be like that. If he didn't come back to life, there'd be no hope. He was the first to do this and show it.

The whole thing with everyone . . . see, Jesus came to fix what Adam did. We are all of Adam's race; Adam sinned and we are a part of that. So, what Jesus did is something that all can participate in. Yes, it's different. Adam sinned so we're all sinners, according to the bible. Yet, Jesus died for all who would accept it. Every person can accept his sacrifice for themselves, but not all do. All those who accept his sacrifice will go to heaven. If his sacrifice covered everyone, without them wanting and accepting it, it does seem to me that it would be in vain. Adam and Eve chose to disobey God, but now we can choose to accept Him and obey Him again, and so be with Him.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

checkwit wrote:I have been told by many Christians that Jesus died for our sins. But then he came back to life and went to heaven.

Let me ask a few questions so to clarify what you already know so we can begin on some common ground of understanding:

What did Jesus' death expose?

An innocent person imprisoned unjustly - would it be a moral imperative right to set that person free?

The soldier who tosses himself upon a grenade, dying in the process saved the lives of his friends in combat really a sacrifice?

The soldier died for those that knew him — everyone would be affected once they heard but only those that knew him in combat would have been saved. Since everyone would be affected by hearing this soldiers story of sacrifice — who was actually saved?

Would you invite total strangers into your home who do not care and have no regard for you and your household, to share and live with you forever?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

He did die. Grave yard dead. He didn't partially die. He was DEAD. Fully dead. Jesus was human. He was fully a man. He had a human brain, a cardiovascular system, etc. He had to be cleaned as an infant. He wasn't born potty trained. He had to learn to speak. He wasn't born speaking fluent Hebrew and Greek. And, yes, He was also God. It is a mystery to comprehend. He was God, yet was fully dependent upon God. He didn't have magic powers. He was empowered by God. It was the essence of God working through the real flesh of a man. A prototype I guess you could say, of what is to come. This flesh was in FULL and TOTAL submission to the invisible God. Every breath, every word, every thought and every deed, was completely motivated and sourced by the living God. So when you heard from Jesus, you heard from the voice of God Himself. When His hand reached out, it was the hand of God. Jesus the man, was a glove into which the hand of God was fit. And so God thrust Himself into our reality. Because we good not climb to Him, He descended to us. (Eph 4:9-10)
Yes, it was really a sacrifice. Why? Because of the quality of the One sacrificed. Jesus was the spotless lamb. He was the God/Man.
This verse popped into my head immediately upon reading your question.
Paul answers this. 1 Cor 15: 12-19
"But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. "

I can not answer that question any more directly that what the Bible has done for you.

Christ died a REAL physical death.
Can a person refuse a free gift? Most certainly. I could offer to pay for my child's college education, but I can't make them go to college. I can offer the gift of this education, but they must appropiate the gift by responding to it affirmatively. Salvation is a response to the gift of God and the finished work of Christ on the cross. Thus we are to receive salvation. The quarterback can throw the perfect pass, right on target. But if the receiver does not reach out and grab hold of the ball, then the catch will not be made.
Again, I can't explain it any better than the scriptures. This verse popped into my head as well.
John 1:12 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious