Christian Views

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Mastermind, experiencing supernatural events does not draw people to God. For example, those ouiji boards DO work. It's some demon controlling it, and some people who use it suffer from headaches after it (G K Chesterton was deep into spirituality before becoming a great apologist for Christianity, and when he used the ouiji board, it kept on telling him the same thing over...don't remember what it was). It's a rather good ploy-it's a compromise between atheism and theism-it gives you a supernatural realm to believe in, but no supreme being to control you-it's just there. They (supernatural experiences) don't draw people closer to God, but can send them off the wrong road.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Worked for me.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

What exactly was your experience Mastermind? I probably shouldn't have omitted a disclaimer saying "not true in 100% of the cases." or something...

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Astral projection. I popped out of my body for a while.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

Mastermind wrote:Astral projection. I popped out of my body for a while.
For real :shock: ? Or maybe a dream, or something else non-supernatural. What was it like?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

And that sent you off into believing in God for the first time, or to believe stronger?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Believe stronger. Supposedly it happens to 10% of people at least once in their lifetime. It wasn't a dream. Trust me, if it happened to you, you would be able to tell the difference.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Mastermind wrote:Believe stronger. Supposedly it happens to 10% of people at least once in their lifetime. It wasn't a dream. Trust me, if it happened to you, you would be able to tell the difference.
What happens? Indulge me :lol:.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Err, I don't quite remember. I was reading a book on the subject by an indian who had been an atheist himself, and he gave me some techniques to do before bed, saying that in a couple of weeks, I should be able to do it. It took me 4 days. Unfortunately, the techniques require quite a bit of patience(something I severely lack), and I was simply curious to see if there was any truth to it, so I never repeated the experiment.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

bizzt,

i think i can be implied from scripture, as God "breathed life" into both animals and man.

an article you might enjoy:

http://www.str.org/free/commentaries/ph ... animal.htm
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I was gone for the weekend - just skimmed over the 10 or so new posts to this thread (wow)

Animals do have spirits - Eccl 3:21 This verse makes a distinction tho between human and animal spirits... One goes up the other goes down - might relay some distinction in how eternal ours vs theirs are but I really don't know. Verse does make it clear tho, beasts/animals have spirits.

I did a study a while back about the difference between souls and spirits. It was a rough thing to study and I came to no conclusions. Every time I thought I had something I'd find another verse that interchanged words... I used the KJV so you might want to try going back to the hebrew/greek. For some reason the KJV translators interchanged "Holy Spirt" and "Holy Ghost" in the new testament. They're the same words in the greek though "Hagious pneuma" spelling might be off... So, I didn't really finish that study - sorry I can't help.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

But, we do agree that the human soul is superior and different from that of animals, correct? God spoke the souls of animals into existence, but God breathed in the soul of man.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'd pretty much agree with that. Spirits of Beats go downward, spirits of man go upwards... There are no animals recorded in revelation standing before the throne of God for judgment. We have a special place in the eyes of the Lord.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

What do the directions indicate? Is it that when an animal dies, the spirit dissipates and that's it? And is it that when man dies, the saved souls go up to heaven? WEIRD.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:What do the directions indicate? Is it that when an animal dies, the spirit dissipates and that's it? And is it that when man dies, the saved souls go up to heaven? WEIRD.
The spirit of man is different from the soul of animals. Animals with soul have characteristics of higher intelligence, however the spirit of man is the part of him that is made in the image of God. That is why men go up to heaven and animals don't, because the spiritual side of man is in God's image.