4 truths to prove evolution is religious and not scientific

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: 4 truths to prove evolution is religious and not scientific

Post by Gman »

Sceptic wrote:
Gman wrote:
Sceptic wrote: It makes no difference to "my" case, as natural selection is not random.
Complete baloney.... Ever study biology before?
Yes I have, you?
Yes I have... And I use college biology books too. Sorry.

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Sceptic
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Sceptic »

Gman wrote:Yes I have... And I use college biology books too. Sorry.

Then you should have paid better attention. Natural selection isn't random chance.
Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

August wrote:You stated that we live in a random world.
Elements of it are random. Gene mutation, and genetic drift, for instance.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sceptic wrote:
August wrote:You stated that we live in a random world.
Elements of it are random. Gene mutation, and genetic drift, for instance.
So how can you know anything? How do you know what you know is not random gibberish?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

August wrote:So how can you know anything? How do you know what you know is not random gibberish?
I'm tempted to say "because I'm not a creationist", but that would be impolite. You enjoy these metaphysical diversions?
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sceptic wrote:
August wrote:So how can you know anything? How do you know what you know is not random gibberish?
I'm tempted to say "because I'm not a creationist", but that would be impolite. You enjoy these metaphysical diversions?
Lol, that was funny. :lol:

These metaphysical diversions, as you call them, are the basic truths that underwrite what we believe. So if you cannot account for it, then why should we believe you?
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

August wrote:These metaphysical diversions, as you call them, are the basic truths that underwrite what we believe. So if you cannot account for it, then why should we believe you?
OK, how do I know anything? I am persuaded by evidence which is presented to me, combined with personal experience.

In the case of evolution, then either there's a massive global scientific conspiracy, or it's most probably true. The same goes for gravity.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sceptic wrote:
August wrote:These metaphysical diversions, as you call them, are the basic truths that underwrite what we believe. So if you cannot account for it, then why should we believe you?
OK, how do I know anything? I am persuaded by evidence which is presented to me, combined with personal experience.

In the case of evolution, then either there's a massive global scientific conspiracy, or it's most probably true. The same goes for gravity.
How do you come to know the meaning of the evidence? How do you know when your personal experience is valid or not? How do you "experience" something?

Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

August wrote:How do you come to know the meaning of the evidence? How do you know when your personal experience is valid or not? How do you "experience" something?
Via my education, and deductive reasoning.

Are you so short of arguments about evolution that you have to take this philosophical line? When do I get asked about the meaning of truth?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Sceptic wrote:
Gman wrote:Yes I have... And I use college biology books too. Sorry.

Then you should have paid better attention. Natural selection isn't random chance.
Unfortunately your statement is incorrect.... Did you read earlier what I stated?

"Evolution by natural selection, on the other hand, is a blend of chance and "sorting." - Biology : Concepts and connections — Ch. 13.12, pg 269, 2008.

This statement is by renowned evolutionists. Do you wish to go against their word?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

Gman wrote:Unfortunately your statement is incorrect.... Did you read earlier what I stated?

"Evolution by natural selection, on the other hand, is a blend of chance and "sorting." - Biology : Concepts and connections — Ch. 13.12, pg 269, 2008.

This statement is by renowned evolutionists. Do you wish to go against their word?
The "chance" part is the genetic mutation, and/or drift; the "sorting" is natural selection - which isn't a random process. Is that so hard to understand?
August
Old School

Post by August »

Sceptic wrote:
August wrote:How do you come to know the meaning of the evidence? How do you know when your personal experience is valid or not? How do you "experience" something?
Via my education, and deductive reasoning.

Are you so short of arguments about evolution that you have to take this philosophical line? When do I get asked about the meaning of truth?
You are still not answering the question. I am not asking about your source of information, I am asking how you come to know it. This is basic metaphysics, something you started when you asserted a random world.

So are you saying that your belief in evolution is via deductive reasoning? What was your universal premise for that?

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Sceptic wrote:
Gman wrote:Unfortunately your statement is incorrect.... Did you read earlier what I stated?

The "chance" part is the genetic mutation, and/or drift; the "sorting" is natural selection - which isn't a random process. Is that so hard to understand?
Excuse me? Are you reading what I posted by the evolutionists? "Natural selection, on the other hand, is a blend of chance AND "sorting."

It's a supposed blend of chance AND sorting... It's not a solely random process. Get it now??

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

What exactly are you a sceptic of anyway?

Sceptic
Recognized Member

Post by Sceptic »

Gman wrote:Excuse me? Are you reading what I posted by the evolutionists? "Natural selection, on the other hand, is a blend of chance AND "sorting."

It's a supposed blend of chance AND sorting... It's not a solely random process. Get it now??
Clearly it is difficult to understand!

You've chopped the quote (and removed it from its context, but hey). The process comprises two separate stages:

1. Genetic variation.
2. Natural selection acting on the phenotype.

Natural selection is not a random process.