What was Satan thinking?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

What was Satan thinking?

Post by Felgar »

I don't usually start threads, but I was thinking about this lately. I'm curious to hear what people think about Satan and his role in Jesus' death.

Did Satan definately unknowingly orchastrate Jesus' death? When Jesus died, did Satan actually think he'd won and defeated Jesus and God? Satan's pretty intelligent, and the fact that Jesus' death would actually enable salvation for all seems so obvious; did Satan not realize that Jesus' death actually marked his own defeat?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: What was Satan thinking?

Post by bizzt »

Felgar wrote:I don't usually start threads, but I was thinking about this lately. I'm curious to hear what people think about Satan and his role in Jesus' death.

Did Satan definately unknowingly orchastrate Jesus' death? When Jesus died, did Satan actually think he'd won and defeated Jesus and God? Satan's pretty intelligent, and the fact that Jesus' death would actually enable salvation for all seems so obvious; did Satan not realize that Jesus' death actually marked his own defeat?
I believe Satan truly thought he was getting rid of Someone that was abusing his Demons. He thought Death Ruled over all human Beings and God coming down as a Human Being would then Die. I think upon the Resurrection Satan knew he was Defeated.

Side Question: Was it when Jesus Died or was it when he resurrected that we were free?

Tim
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Can't find the scripture to this but if Satan knew what Jesus was going to do, he would have never sent Christ to the cross. I think that Satan 2nd guessed Jesus. Not realizing the power of redemtion and the victory of the resurrection.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Jesus gives bread to Judas and through that bread, Satan enters Judas. God orchestrated the death of his body.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Satan probably wasn't thinking clearly. Satan probably just wanted to destroy Jesus so badly that he didn't realise that, in doing so, he'd bring about his defeat.

And it is through Jesus's death that we are saved. We are saved b/c a sinless human died for our sins. He died so we wouldn't have to. The resurrection is both Jesus's reward obeying God for 33 consecutive(sp?) years, and proof that Jesus's death sufficed.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Satan also doesn't comprehend Scriptures...oh, he's booksmart, but he doesn't understand anything about love and mercy and justice and anything good.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

voicingmaster wrote:And it is through Jesus's death that we are saved. We are saved b/c a sinless human died for our sins. He died so we wouldn't have to. The resurrection is both Jesus's reward obeying God for 33 consecutive(sp?) years, and proof that Jesus's death sufficed.
Yeah, I agree that the death is what can make us sinless - the price is paid by His death. But it's also inconceivable that Jesus would not have raised from the dead, looking back. Clearly God is the one with power over death - there's no other way for it to have happenned.

And KM, that's an interesting concept that Satan does not understand. Having turned from God he knows no truth - unable to distinguish it from his own lies. I'm not sure about that, but you might be on the right track.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Satan must know some truth. He quotes scripture to Jesus. I think he just believes more on his pride than the outcome. I also think that he knew what he was doing when he temted man to fall. He took what God most loved (man) and what God most despised (sin) and combined the two together. His plan seemed like it could work. Satan sat back and thought to himself, how is God going to fix this mess. Lo and behold;....the cross. Satan never knew what hit him.

I believe that if Satan knew that Jesus was going to be resurrected, he would of left Jesus alone. The death of Christ takes away the sins of the sinner. The resurrection gave us the power of victory over death.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Re: What was Satan thinking?

Post by Battlehelmet »

Felgar wrote:I don't usually start threads, but I was thinking about this lately. I'm curious to hear what people think about Satan and his role in Jesus' death.

Yes..

his end has come-Jesus

I am almost a Bible scholar..I can explain His temptations by Satan in a adequate manner. If you wish, I will be glad. I just need to learn to to use the internet bible instead of hand-typing all these Scriptures these years..I will probably just continue hand-typing Scripture on to text. Keeps the memory sharp.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

Felgar wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:And it is through Jesus's death that we are saved. We are saved b/c a sinless human died for our sins. He died so we wouldn't have to. The resurrection is both Jesus's reward obeying God for 33 consecutive(sp?) years, and proof that Jesus's death sufficed.
Yeah, I agree that the death is what can make us sinless - the price is paid by His death. But it's also inconceivable that Jesus would not have raised from the dead, looking back. Clearly God is the one with power over death - there's no other way for it to have happenned.

I agree completely..

He who believes in me will never die, do you believe this?

And KM, that's an interesting concept that Satan does not understand. Having turned from God he knows no truth - unable to distinguish it from his own lies. I'm not sure about that, but you might be on the right track.
Jesus said that Satan is the father of lies, he has lied from the beginning. Or something of the sort. Much of the Scripture can be point the last 2 letters of John. Which refers to many revelevant Scripture about this topic.

Nice to meet y'all. I made a formal introduction in the creationist thread. Most welcome and hope meet and make new friends.
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

Welcome Battlehelmet.

One of the things people fail to realise is that Satan knows prophesy. He know that out of Israel would raise up a man of God to free them from bondage of slavery in Egypt. Satan tried to kill all male children from the ages 2 and under. Lo and behold MOSES came. Satan tried the same game plan when Jesus was born. I believe he was trying to kill the prophecy of the messiah.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

I would like to point out that Satan doesn't really control anything, he is in a similar situation to our own really. All he can do is plan and scheme and hope that things will go his way.
It doesn't look to me from the way that he is portrayed that he is much different from some people I have known who hate something or someone so much that they totally lose their perspective.
He should be respected as an opponent because he has been accusing us for a long time, but don't give him too much power. It depends on your interpretation of Revelation as to where you think he is right now, but Jesus put him under His control at the resurrection and he was under God's control in the OT. Satan has always had only limited power over God's people and he may not have any now.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I think we'd do a lot better as individuals if Satan wasn't around messing everything up. Far fewer people would be deceived and more would turn to God IMO. And my understanding of scripture is that Satan will not be confined until the 1000-year reign. There's also first-hand evidence of demonic forces at work, etc.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

vvart wrote:Jesus gives bread to Judas and through that bread, Satan enters Judas. God orchestrated the death of his body.
Wow...

That struck me as a Christian.

I have studied the Bible and the Word much but not in the Judas context of the Gospel.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

Felgar wrote:I think we'd do a lot better as individuals if Satan wasn't around messing everything up. Far fewer people would be deceived and more would turn to God IMO. And my understanding of scripture is that Satan will not be confined until the 1000-year reign. There's also first-hand evidence of demonic forces at work, etc.
There are Scriptures that describe these demonic forces.

2 peter 2.11.-12
Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; yet even angles, though they are are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations such beings in the presence of the Lord. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand.

Jude 11.4
Enoch the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men:"See the Lord is coming with thousand and thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly ways, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.