Your favourite biblical verse”¦And why?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Your favourite biblical verse”¦And why?

Post by DannyM »

Your favourite biblical verse…

I know we have many favourites, and we can get them all out here; we'll start, let's say, in no particular order…

Deuteronomy 30:19-20… I call heaven and earth to witness this day against you, that having set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: choose life, then you and your descendants may live, in the love of your God, obeying his voice, holding fast to him, for he is your life, and the length of your days.

I adore this passage as it, to me, embodies eternity with our Maker. Choose life — choose God — have eternity.

I hope we can get an exchange of beautiful verses going here; there are literally thousands, let's see your favs…

God bless
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Your favourite biblical verse”¦And why?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgement. (NIV Heb. 9:27)

...is the verse I use most often when confronting Hell-doesn't-exist! and Reincarnation-is-in-the-Bible! people.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgement. (NIV Heb. 9:27)

...is the verse I use most often when confronting Hell-doesn't-exist! and Reincarnation-is-in-the-Bible! people.

FL
Nice, FL. A very powerful weapon when confronting the reincarnationists...(Is that a word...oh well, I like it!) :esmile:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”

Matthew 6: 5-8

This verse means a lot to me. It's beautiful in that it tells us how we must pray to our Father in a private setting. This is surely the most beautiful thing; an intimate, "one-on-one" with our Maker.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote:My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17
Very, very nice, CS L...

I really do hope this thread gets loaded with this kind of standard. I would've loved to hear a wee personal note from you on the above verse...

God bless
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of
death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Psalm 23:4

Do I need to explain this?... Oh the beauty...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

DannyM wrote:
cslewislover wrote:My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17
Very, very nice, CS L...

I really do hope this thread gets loaded with this kind of standard. I would've loved to hear a wee personal note from you on the above verse...

God bless
When CS Lewis became a Christian, it was a non-event to the outside world, and almost to him, in a way. Yet it was the hugest event. He was just riding along and one moment he wasn't a believer in Christ, and then the next moment he was. Something switched on.

It was similar with me, only I had a much more powerful event happen inside me. I did not want to live any longer, having gone through some of life and realizing that this world did not have what I needed. It was at that period in my life, after some things that I won't go into, that the Lord came to me and let me know I was His. One moment I was in the world, the next moment I was not.

The verse doesn't speak of only that, a broken heart in relation to life, but it reminds me of the hard things we go through in the world - even stumbling. They cause us to mourn, but we can know that the Lord will hear us and love us.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Mine, check my sig, that is my favorite because it is what I ask God every day, for mercy and forgiveness of my sins.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gabrielman wrote:Mine, check my sig, that is my favorite because it is what I ask God every day, for mercy and forgiveness of my sins.
I like that, and I like reading that verse all of the time!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

This is a great one that I commented on in another thread recently. What is our purpose?

2 Corinthians 5:4-5
4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

cslewislover wrote: When CS Lewis became a Christian, it was a non-event to the outside world, and almost to him, in a way. Yet it was the hugest event. He was just riding along and one moment he wasn't a believer in Christ, and then the next moment he was. Something switched on.

It was similar with me, only I had a much more powerful event happen inside me. I did not want to live any longer, having gone through some of life and realizing that this world did not have what I needed. It was at that period in my life, after some things that I won't go into, that the Lord came to me and let me know I was His. One moment I was in the world, the next moment I was not.

The verse doesn't speak of only that, a broken heart in relation to life, but it reminds me of the hard things we go through in the world - even stumbling. They cause us to mourn, but we can know that the Lord will hear us and love us.
That's very poignant, CS L, and it made me smile a sad stroke happy smile for you brother. If I may be just as deep and just as private as your moving personal note above, I was involved in a lot of bad things a couple/few years ago and was facing the dilemma of either ending it all or coming out of the life I was involved in. I'll repeat Psalm 23:4 because, even though the verse is not really alluding to my situation, it was a verse to which I turned again and again my desperation.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of
death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

God was with me. Of that I have no doubt.

Hey, and now I'm supposed to be a good boy! Thanks, CS L, that was nice.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

Exodus 4:25
Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it and said, “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!”
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

touchingcloth wrote:Exodus 4:25
Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it and said, “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!”
Bizarre verse Touchingcloth! As a former atheist myself - and a rabid one at that - may I ask you why you chose this verse as favorite?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
touchingcloth wrote:Exodus 4:25
Bizarre verse Touchingcloth! As a former atheist myself - and a rabid one at that - may I ask you why you chose this verse as favorite?

FL
I think it is a favourite for the atheist because - again, I THINK - it makes them feel quite smug in that they feel they have exposed some thing which makes God look like a barbarian...Or something. Perhaps TC will clarify for us; but I won't hold it against him. When C. Hitchens spews out this verse it is done within an agenda for his debate; TC is a good man, I feel, at heart and is just a wee misguided. Having said all of that, I'm now leaving myself wide open for TC to come in an completely obliterate my assumption...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia