The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.

Do You Believe In True Demonic Possessions?

Yes
62%
Not Sure
21%
No
17%

Total votes: 42

Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I believe Emily Rose was possessed. After seeing the movie I got pretty scared. Started thinking I could get possessed. So, why did she get possessed? Who gets possessed and why? I thought Christians couldn't get possessed?
Forge
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Forge »

I don't know about Emily Rose, but I believe excorcisms and possessions really do happen.
I DEMAND PIE, AND A BARREL OF WHIPPED CREAM
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I believe Emily Rose was possessed. After seeing the movie I got pretty scared. Started thinking I could get possessed. So, why did she get possessed? Who gets possessed and why? I thought Christians couldn't get possessed?
Mystical, I don't think a christian should ever fear that they could become possessed. We are God's possessions and he holds us tightly in His hands. We have the Spirit of God living in us which would prevent it. Greater is He that is in you than he (satan) that is in the world. God could allow you to be influenced but never possessed. It cost Him too much to ever let that happen.

Luk 11:21 When a strong man (Satan) armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Luk 11:22 But when a stronger than he (Jesus) shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.

* the words in parentheses are mine.

Don't fear, Mystical, no one is stronger than God.

Hope this helps you.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

I concur. The big difference we have today as opposed to before Christs accention is the Holy Spirit. There is absolutley no way for a born again (Spirit filled) Christian to be possesed by a demon. Opressed, sure. People have been and always will be tempted by demons.

Luk 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
Luk 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

1Co 5:5 To deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Do you really think that all the evil thoughts that spring up in your mind when your not thinking of much at all are from yourself? I have noticed within my own imaginations that demons can set things up in your mind so you might believe them. Cast down those evil thoughts, resist the devil and he will flee from you!

2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Jam 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

If an unsaved indavidule (I like to use Hitler as an example) entertains these thoughts, then God will give that person over to the demon(s).

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Ashley
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Exorcism Of Emily Rose

Post by Ashley »

Even though I am not that well versed in bible (shame to me I should read more), I believe that outwardly apparent demonic possession is real but rare. Like a lot of people, I would think that, whenever there is skepticism with the exorcism, it sounds the best way being consulting the Vatican's official definition of exorcism; there must be definitions narrowing down what circumstances we should define as exorcisms or simply psychiatric illnesses.

I am inclined to think that exorcism is simply an extreme case of dissatisfactions against the reality or cynicisms. Reading the news we often find guys who go insane after stock crash or corporate shakeout. they yell and scream with strident or shrill voices like possessed.

In New Testament, Apostle Paul said that we have two laws in our soul. These two laws subject us to opposite direction - good or bad. We hardly well behave but are usually quite mischievous, that we seldom repent for. While our dissatisfaction drives us to the extreme, we are pushed to the extreme that make us insane like possessed.

I think that scripturally the demonic possessions were sorta dramatic, (or probably the writers wrote metaphorically or figuratively). Somehow I still think now a day people are easily possessed. it is simply the degree of the extent to which we are possessed. Sometime bitterness so engulfs our mind that we want to kill ... and our hands shiver slightly ... that's all a little gesture signifying "slight possession". Beyond our control and awareness we go like this.

Just my personal opinion.

JCSx2
Valued Member

Re: exorcisms

Post by JCSx2 »

Believer wrote:
ray wrote:The fact that this is a movie tells you that in the most part it is fictional. No matter how much truth a movie is based on, there is so much fiction intertwined that the truth of the event is usually lost. However, I do believe demonic possession occurs. There are many instances of it recorded in the Bible and there is no reason to believe that it stopped. I have read accounts of modern day possessions, but again, once it is put into a book or movie, the truth seems to get lost.

Ray
That is true. Hollywood will add fiction to facts. They have limited resources on the actual true part of the story and will add fiction around it, I would assume most of the script is fiction with intertwined fact. But these do give a deeper understanding on biblical issues such as exorcisms.

It doesn't mater if Hollywood has 110% of true actual facts. They will change what they want where they want to make a movie appeal to people; even if it means making stuff up and changing the truth.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Re:

Post by Silvertusk »

Fortigurn wrote:Why is it that modern day 'possessions' and 'exorcisms' aren't anything like those recorded in Scripture?
I tell you what Fortigurn - That is a really interesting question!!!

Do you think that we have misinterpreted certain conditions to be ailments of the brain and locked these people away, when in fact they are possessed?

Do you think that schizophenia for example is actually a possession but we have put it down to brain damage?

I do wonder about these things. Nowadays we just called people mad and lock them away - we never say they are possessed anymore.

Just a thought.

Silvertusk.
Ashley
Recognized Member

Post by Ashley »

yes that's true. I always think that possession and mental disease can be interrelated.

to put it simplier, a guy can be mad at some one ; scripturally he yields to Satan and Jesus teaches that he should reconcile with him. Temper is actually driven by hatred ; the former is a biological term but the latter is an ethcial term. people prone to emotional outburst sin more easily, don't they? ethicals and biologicals can interlock each other.

While we accuse Emily of demonic possession, it sounds equally right that she suffered mental illness; the CBS reports said that a guy going crazy with chemical reactions in his blood and cells doesn't mean that demon caused them; i don't think so. demon, in the sense of Satan enticing people, can cause our psysiological reactions resulting in raspy voices and insanity. That's not unusual, is that?

N4SC
Familiar Member

Post by N4SC »

Where did you get the idea that they only happen to women?
ManOfScience
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re:

Post by ManOfScience »

Fortigurn wrote:The Bible was never completed? That's a worry.
I think I know what's missing:
The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this book are fictitious. No identification with actual persons, places, buildings, or events is intended or should be inferred.
:ewink:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Re: Re:

Post by Silvertusk »

ManOfScience wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:The Bible was never completed? That's a worry.
I think I know what's missing:
The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this book are fictitious. No identification with actual persons, places, buildings, or events is intended or should be inferred.
:ewink:

Red Dwarf - "Thanks for the memory" :shakehead:
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by rare96ws6 »

I think demon possession is merely psychological and physiological problems as well as chemical imbalances. Medical science has shown us different illnesses and diseases that exist that in the past were seen as possessions. Take for instance a simple dopamine deficiency or addiction. It could well pass for demon possession if not diagnosed and treated. Violent mood swings can occur and a person can at times think of nothing else but satisfying this addiction.
We are 3 dimentional beings and I see no reaon to believe that a spiritual being from another dimension could in any way take over a person. The world is tough enough without God allowing Satan's minions to physically interact with us.