Tower of Babel

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'd give a rough estimate of about 13,000 years ago... before the land bridges between continents began breaking.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Kurieuo wrote:I'd give a rough estimate of about 13,000 years ago... before the land bridges between continents began breaking.

Kurieuo.
Thanks :) This kind of runs around my question but what of the dates in the Bible. The Dating system back then are definately different now so 862 years is definately not that!

Thanks again Kurieuo

Tim
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'm not sure what you mean, as 13,000 years is still 13,000 years regardless of the calander one uses??

If you're wondering whether it fits biblically, then I believe it does. Genealogies in Scripture don't represent complete genealogies. I recommend checking out a portion of an online slideshow at http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/sld011.html. Just go through that slide and the next few after it.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Perhaps God had faith in them. "For if one people they can do this, nothing they try to do will be impossible for them."

So why have man gathered in one area working together as one? How then will you keep them worshiping God? Or, rather, why not even just spread them all out everywhere and have many peoples do many possibilities.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Kurieuo wrote:I'm not sure what you mean, as 13,000 years is still 13,000 years regardless of the calander one uses??

If you're wondering whether it fits biblically, then I believe it does. Genealogies in Scripture don't represent complete genealogies. I recommend checking out a portion of an online slideshow at http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/sld011.html. Just go through that slide and the next few after it.

Kurieuo.
Actually Answered my Question!!!
TY
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I'll add in my two cents *clink clink.* The Tower of Babel was an act of defiance against God. He told people to spread and populate the world, but instead they gathered in one area. Also, the tower was a way of saying "We don't need you and you can't harm us!" They were building the tower out of waterproof material, and making it very high, so they could withstand another flood if God sent it.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re:

Post by rare96ws6 »

Felgar wrote:
RGeeB wrote:Co-operation and communication between humans is at an all time high in recorded history. These have led to amazing technological developments these days. We are now having ethical debates about cloning and designer babies. Was this what God was preventing when He sent lingual confusion? Were those 'primitives' building a spaceship to colonise other planets or even travel to heavenly dimensions? I don't know..
Well, I would doubt that they were at that point yet; but it's all about the curve. Once you start up that steep slope that we're on now, advancement is so rapid. Think about what would be possible in 1000 years - considering that we figured out airplanes and then less than 70 years later we landed on the moon. How many centuries did God set the world back? Tough to know really, but a number at least I'd say.

Think back even 10 years. My bro was just starting college, and he could not do programming work from home. A year later they installed dial-up, and within 3 more years every computer lab in the college and the University had broadband internet.

One place I'm really disappointed about our advancement is with space exploration. Looking forward to Hyugens; but we shoud have been able to do more in the past 30 years.

At least in the USA, you can thank the government for hacking NASA and other science program budgets for larger military spending. I too think we could be farther ahead than we are if those budgets were put back into place.