Why was Jesus born of a virgin?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Why was Jesus born of a virgin?

Post by Christian2 »

I'm opening this subject in the hope that any Muslims on this board will join in.

We Christians know the answer.

The Qur'an confirms that Jesus was miraculously born of the virgin Mary.

I would like to know from the Muslims why they think that God chose to have Jesus born without a human father.

With Adam He had no choice, but with Jesus He did.

Thank you.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Just giving this a new start since I thought it got too interrupted. ;) Aviatrix, feel free to dialogue and respond.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Aviatrix
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Aviatrix »

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in this discussion right now. I stated my reasons why the first time, and hope you can understand.

Peace.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

I know one Christian whose mother invited a wonderful Muslim woman over for dinner. This question was asked of her and she said that Jesus was uniquely born of a virgin but that it had no particular significance.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why was Jesus born of a virgin?

Post by rare96ws6 »

Was Jesus born of a virgin? Growing up as a Christian, this is what I have been taught, but this is not what the original Hebrew texts state. Christians quote Isaiah 7:14-16 as a prophecy of Jesus' birth. In some translations of the Bible today it states a virgin birth. This is taken from the Septuagint, which the Jews wrote in Greek, however, the text was originally written in Hebrew. The Hebrew text states that a young women will give birth, not that a virgin will give birth. The Hebrew word for young women is "alma", which the text uses, not "betulah", which in Hebrew means virgin. "Alma" can mean virgin, but it does not specifically reference a virgin in other texts of the Bible.
If you actually read the passage in Isaiah in the original Hebrew text from Isaiah 7:10 through 7:17, it is written in the present tense. The Septuagint from which the OT is written from has these passages in the future tense.
It seems like there are 2 translation errors here. One that the young women became a virgin and second that the passage went from speaking about present goings on to future happenings. Infact, Jewish readers state these verses pertain to the current events at the time and a young women, while Christains believe these to be verses of prophecy and a virgin birth.
Can anyone here shed some light on this for us about these passages? They have puzzled me for quite some time and I am sure many others who study the Bible and its sources have the same question.
Last edited by rare96ws6 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

rare96ws6 wrote:Was Jesus born of a virgin? Growing up as a Christian, this is what I have been taught, but this is not what the original Hebrew texts state. Christians quote Isaiah 7:14-16 as a prophecy of Jesus' birth. In some translations of the Bible today it states a virgin birth. This is taken from the Septuagint, which the Jews wrote in Greek, however, the text was originally written in Hebrew. The Hebrew text states that a young women will give birth, not that a virgin will give birth. The Hebrew word for young women is "alma", which the text uses, not "betulah", which in Hebrew means virgin. "Alma" can mean virgin, but it does not specifically reference a virgin in other texts of the Bible.
If you actually read the passage in Isaiah in the original Hebrew text from Isaiah 7:10 through 7:17, it is written in the present tense. The Septuagint from which the OT is written from has these passages in the future tense.
It seems like there are 2 translation errors here. One that the a young women became virgin and second that the passage went from speaking about present goings on to future happenings. Infact, Jewish readers state these verses pertain to the current events at the time and a young women, while Christains believe these to be verses of prophecy and a virgin birth.
Can anyone here shed some light on this for us about these passages? They have puzzled me for quite some time and I am sure many others who study the Bible and its sources have the same question.
Can our own English phrase 'young lady' also imply a young female virgin?

In that - you have your answer...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by rare96ws6 »

This is what I was thinking myself. I just wondered why the text did not use the more specific word for virgin. One word could be what separates the Christianity from Judaism;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

rare96ws6 wrote:This is what I was thinking myself. I just wondered why the text did not use the more specific word for virgin. One word could be what separates the Christianity from Judaism;)
Actually, one person separates the two.

However, Christianity is built upon Jewish teachings. Jesus was a Rabbi. Modern Judaism rejects Christ as Messiah and is stuck in an old covenant where they must fulfill the Mosaic law, which we know from history has never been fully kept. Christ established a new covenanent which is permanent and one where God no longer condemns us for sin, unlike the old which Israel failed to fulfill. (Jer 31:31-34)
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

B. W. wrote: Can our own English phrase 'young lady' also imply a young female virgin?

In that - you have your answer...
-
-
-

Luke 1: 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?-
New Testament- CORONATION, MAY 1937- King George VI.-
I only have this book to hand right now.

The NIV is equally clear..."How, since I am a virgin?"
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia