Kurzweil's technological singularity

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
krynn9000
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Kurzweil's technological singularity

Post by krynn9000 »

I don't know if any of you are familiar with this, but I became aware of a disturbing (to me at least) idea known by futurist Dr. Ray Kurzweil as "the singularity". Basically, he argues that advances in computers, nanotechnology, and robotics will advance at an alarming rate in the near (20-30) year future. Computers would gain the intelligence equal to or greater than humans, and would begin to design themselves. Human life expectancy may increase dramatically, and may even culminate in human immortality - the ability to "upload" your consciousness into a computer.

a bunch of into is available here:
http://www.kurzweilAI.net

My questions to you all is this -

1. Do you think something like this could ever really happen?
2. how would something like this fit into Christianity and God's plan for us? Would God allow such progress?

This is scary stuff...but maybe I am just freaking out for no reason. Tell me what you think!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Kurzweil's technological singularity

Post by Kurieuo »

AI will always remain artificial and never be true intelligence. No one even knows how to get started truly replicating intelligence mechanically. All robotic intelligence is, is a bunch of conditions programmed in by humans.

Perhaps in the future we will be able to merge biology with robotics to produce intelligence. There will always be a biological element to having intelligence. Sounds freaky, but that is the only way I can see authentic intelligence happening.
krynn9000
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by krynn9000 »

Do you think humans may augment themselves artificially to the point where the line is blurred between man and machine?
psr6782
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by psr6782 »

krynn9000 wrote:Do you think humans may augment themselves artificially to the point where the line is blurred between man and machine?
Didn't the "Terminator" movies teach you anything? :lol:
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by rare96ws6 »

krynn9000 wrote:Do you think humans may augment themselves artificially to the point where the line is blurred between man and machine?

I believe this will happen, and to some degree things are already in the works. Chips to control Parkinson's disease and an artificial pancrease are just a couple of things he mentions in his book that are being worked on now. My favorite is the replacement of some of the red blood cells in the blood by nanobots that hold 10 times the amount of O2 a red blood cell can hold. Just think, you could run to work or class every day and never be out of breath! "The Sigularity is near" was a fascinating read, weather you are a Christian or not.
I don't think God will stop us from further merging with our technology. He hasn't stopped us from dabbling in other areas that could drastically change us, such as our genes and nuclear weapons.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Mr. firebird, Do you realize that you are responding to posts that are very old? This one has a last post from 2 1/2 years ago.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
rare96ws6
Recognized Member

Post by rare96ws6 »

Yes, I do. I am replying to posts I am interested in. I just recently found this board and figured I would submit a few posts.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member

Post by rare96ws6 »

RickD wrote:Mr. firebird, Do you realize that you are responding to posts that are very old? This one has a last post from 2 1/2 years ago.
Good catch on the name too;) Red with red leather from the factory.
Cactus
Established Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Cactus »

I don't think adding mechanical replacement parts to a human being makes them any less of a human, because being human isn't about just what you are made of