Miss America 2010

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Miss America 2010

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I had a hard week and instead of reading the Bible this evening, I decided to pickle my brain and plunked myself down in front of the TeeVee. I was flipping through the channels and came upon the Miss America pagent. I've never seen a beauty contest so I decide to watch. I also seem to remember a controversy from last year (?) when one of the contestants put her foot in her mouth by saying that marriage was between a man and a woman...

First surprise: These women are smart.
Second surprise: These women are talented.

Conclusion: I don't have one...but the show didn't offend me in any way. I don't really see why some people object to pagents. It seems like a talent show for women only.

Oh, yes! Miss Virginia won.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Miss America 2010

Post by zoegirl »

they have reworked it to show the other talents. It used to focus (at least in tv) the superficial looks
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

zoegirl wrote:they have reworked it to show the other talents. It used to focus (at least in tv) the superficial looks
OK...I understand. I'm just wondering how much of what you said is factual and how much is subjective. From what I've been able to find out, beauty pagents have always stressed physical beauty as well as poise, social-sense and talent. While watching the young women last night, I remember being amazed at their ability to look good, move well, sound intelligent and perform some trick in front of an audience. Had you put me in front of such an audience when I was in my early 20s, I would have looked quite the Klutz!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

What I meant was in the past they only showed the "looking good in front of people" section. And they didn't showcase the contestants studies or talents.

THey showed evening gown and swimsuit and only the interviews from the top 10...

Tended to look like the stereotypical beauty pageant.

What sickens me are the ones for the babies, toddlers, and children...I don't pull my punches on the derision I hold for the moms that dress up their little 6 year olds to look sexy. That's disgusting.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

OK...I see what you meant. Thanks for clearing that up.
zoegirl wrote:What sickens me are the ones for the babies, toddlers, and children...I don't pull my punches on the derision I hold for the moms that dress up their little 6 year olds to look sexy. That's disgusting.
Sexy 6 year olds?...that's perverted!

FL

+ + +

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

just google "toddlers and tiaras", a show about the pagentary business for young girls....
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

zoegirl wrote:just google "toddlers and tiaras", a show about the pagentary business for young girls....
I googled that, looked at the photos of young girls that the seach brought up and read a few blogs. I don't know what to think. It is a bizarre industry, indeed. It also strikes me as quite vain. In any event, I'm quite sure that only heathen and atheists participate.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
TallMan
Established Member
Sex: Male

Post by TallMan »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote: First surprise: These women are smart.
Second surprise: These women are talented.

Conclusion: I don't have one...
ha-ha-ha
TallMan
Established Member
Sex: Male

Post by TallMan »

Does anyone here have a sense of humour?
(see above post).